Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Visually stunning folks, hell yeah!

Yeah visually... but audiovisually P O O R banghead.gif

Yes the trailer is really good.

pro:

- cool Trailer

- old OFP Feelling

- all the other pro things of the trailers before

neg:

- some old ArmA sounds, especially the explosion sound

- animation

- flying MG at the helo

- some little LOD problems

From 2:20 to 2:21 we can see a few sprinting soldiers which do not use the same animation (see in slow motion). I can see at least two different animations for sprinting. No more clone wars?

Oh man, that would be COOL !

Sadly, I've learned not to hold my breath for such things huh.gif

LOD problams have any game based on stream engine (GTA, Assassins Creed, ...)

The tank main-gun shot smoke now stays in the place where it was fired! It always used to travel with the vehicle as it motored along.

Looks good, now! yay.gif

Quote[/b] ]neg:

- flying MG at the helo

And:

Quote[/b] ]At 1:56 we can see Mi-17 gunner's hands detatched from the pk...

Yes, please BIS, a community Member has already fixed this:

Please watch at 1:10 in that video!

It should be implemented and also extended for other turret an imations like a guy at a DshKM/M2 HMg and so on.... So once his Hands are maximum extended he moves a few steps with his feets.

Improvements in that area are what many of us meant with improvements in animations (also).

I fully understand that this is not really important for gameplay, but its 2009 and your 3rd game with the same animation oddities since 8 years....

At some point it might be "about time" to fix it once and for all tounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Wow! Never thought I'd see it. Do you know if it is done with heavy scripting and is therefore a bit demanding in terms of performance, or not? I agree it'd be great if it was officially implemented, but if it isn't (since Arma II is at a late stage in development,) maybe a mod that includes it for all vehicles is possible?

In fact which member did it and does he have a thread?

Yes... it looks like German Flecktarn...... thats true.

smile_o.gif

Someone on the WW2OL forum was admiring that pattern. Someone else informed him that it was called "Partisan Camo"?

Wow! Never thought I'd see it. Do you know if it is done with heavy scripting and is therefore a bit demanding in terms of performance, or not? I agree it'd be great if it was officially implemented, but if it isn't (since Arma II is at a late stage in development,) maybe a mod that includes it for all vehicles is possible?

That's model + model.cfg stuff.

Typically, the normal practice is to put the gunner proxy fixed in the _traverse selection in both view and gunner LOD's. If you put the gunner proxy in the _elevation selection in the gunner LOD, you can move it around with the hands matching the handles implicitly. You don't want to view that in view LOD though as it would look hideous externally.

What I'm guessing happened here is the gunner proxy's in a selection branched to _elevation, but with some nice offset/inverted coef's to move the gunner around.

+ Aside from the model-specific maths, it's simple to implement in models and model.cfg files.

- Can't be done in a mod, requires specific model/model.cfg work.

Just noticed those spetznaz look great. Wonder if we will be able to use the roof mounted sights on the ka-52?

Hopefully the bombs mounted on those hinds means we are going to get a bomb trajectory on our huds too.... Will the Shtora on the T-90's do anything?

Hmm lots of questions so few answers...

Do Russian troops REALLY have bowl shaped elongated oval helmets? Just wondering. They look like condom hats.

Well some countries do things their own ways.. I learned that the hard way tounge2.gif

I think the rotating radar is for the UAV or for rocket artillery maybe? smile_o.gif

Well i also put my money on either the UAV control system or an artillery system. Maybe someone can tell...

That's model + model.cfg stuff.

Typically, the normal practice is to put the gunner proxy fixed in the _traverse selection in both view and gunner LOD's. If you put the gunner proxy in the _elevation selection in the gunner LOD, you can move it around with the hands matching the handles implicitly. You don't want to view that in view LOD though as it would look hideous externally.

What I'm guessing happened here is the gunner proxy's in a selection branched to _elevation, but with some nice offset/inverted coef's to move the gunner around.

+ Aside from the model-specific maths, it's simple to implement in models and model.cfg files.

- Can't be done in a mod, requires specific model/model.cfg work.

Urm...what ?

Do Russian troops REALLY have bowl shaped elongated oval helmets? Just wondering. They look like condom hats.

Well some countries do things  their own ways.. I learned that the hard way  tounge2.gif

I think the rotating radar is for the UAV or for rocket artillery maybe?  smile_o.gif

Well i also put my money on either the UAV control system or an artillery system. Maybe someone can tell...

UAV i would guess, it says you have them on the video page.

2 points to seriously improve:

- Sounds Effects:

---> With no disrespect to BIS Sounds Designers, but please, there are already enough of inspiring community-made sounds for ArmA, the ones being introduced for the upcoming sequel sound almost 8 years old.

I'm not the kind of people to start whining for anything but I felt kind of frustrated after having watched that video.

Of course, there is nothing to mention about the models/landscape, except they are great, but some points need a little more attention, please.

- Weapons Rate Of Fire:

---> In a battlefight, you will throw everything you have into the face of the enemy, the distance doesn't matter, as long as you "think" you have spotted something, those saying they can keep a sort of control over their ammo are just a bunch of liars trying to make themselves look kind of good.

So please, try to make the ROF be a pinch more real, there are already enough of youtube videos illustrating the point.

Regards,

TB

Looks great!

The radar could be a 76N6 Clam Shell air search radar of a S-300P/SA-10 SAM battery. If true this might be a bit of an overkill, considering that an S-300 site can cover an area of 100 times Chernarus smile_o.gif

I hope everyone thats complainig about the sounds is talking about the weapon and explosion sounds only, the vehicles sound great, Su sounded nice but they cut it off too soon.

Many of the sounds are the same as before. Can any of us in these days play ArmA with the default sounds anymore?

Many of the sounds are the same as before. Can any of us in these days play ArmA with the default sounds anymore?

yep

I do. at the end of the day I've never thought any of the other sound packs were worth it.

Many of them have some great sounds that suit particular environments but the reality is sounds change so much under different circumstances that the point is really moot.

Once you take into account the way the sounds change with the lay of land and possible surounding surfaces, then factor in the number of frequencies no longer heard by many on these forums (particularly those who subject themselves to gunfire and loud music) then it makes me wonder why so many insist on banging on that particular drum with 'THE' answer.

At any rate its clear that BIS are doing thier best as far this is concerned and I have little doubt that there will be plenty of community made sound packs for those who disagree.

Those sounds can easily be replaced by BIS just before release, since that does not affect any other part of the game. They are probably focused on other parts, such as fine tuning the AI.

1. Tank Main Guns needs recoil - in RL the cannon "moves" into the turret on each shot. BIS-Devs, you missed that in OFP1, you missed it in Arma1 and modders always had to correct it. Please do it for Arma2! tounge2.gif

Its maybe just "minor" but so many other great details and then no cannon-recoil id odd.

Also, according to my understanding its rather "easy" to do.

biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.giftounge2.gif

Check again, it definately recoils a bit. It's fast but it's noticeable.

And assuming they are AI controlled, helicopters seem capable of more "human" maneuvers. All vehicle movement seems more fluid for that matter.