Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

ArmA was just a slip i hope

I would say that it was more a learning curve, maybe without making arma, arma2 might not have been developed the way it has.

Anyway I loved ofp but I also love playing arma (after the bug fixes) And now I am ready for ARMA2 biggrin_o.gif

Arma II with better graphics than crysis?

Quote[/b] ]

Arma II Officially Better Looking Than Crysis?By William Usher: 2009-02-20 16:38:00

know Crysis and KillZone 2 received a heck of a lot of praise for their graphics, but Arma II is literally right up there with them, if not a stride ahead. The game looks stunning, simply stunning. A new trailer was released and you can view it along with some exclusive new screen captures right here at Blend Games...

No matter for me, i prefer better gameplay and ai....

Quote[/b] ]No matter for me, i prefer better gameplay and ai...

Could not agree with you more. It does not matter how pretty the package is if the content if is bull...

Tell me what you want, but everytime i hear that song, i get a "You have epic failed OFP DR" feeling.....  rofl.gif

I totally get the same thing.

-Hey in some of those videos, those RPG's/M136's sound almost identical to Arma, is that how they really sound? The explosions too sounded almost the same, but I really didn't pay that much attention to that as much as the launchers firing sounds.

No, they sound totally different in RL!

BIS screwed the sound in Arma1, lets hope they don't in Arma2... The current ones are HOPEFULLY only placeholders.

Basically, with the right software you can make even average youtube captures sounding kick-ass and crystal-clear.

Just a matter of money, time and skills.

So if you want to hear a real AT4 firing, type it into Youtube and you will hear it - it sound like a big "gun"... because it IS a BIG GUN basically - a "recoilless rifle", like sparks already mentioned.

It would be nice to have an FPS counter in the screens and Hardware specs of the computer used to get a relation to the computers that are used by the mass of potential customers.

Dissapointment will be high if the quality can´t be achieved with a decent framerate.

Maybe I´m sceptical because both, OFP and Arma offered visual qualities that were not running fluent on most computers available.

If the upcoming sequel will meet a part of our main expectations then we all know what we will have to do to thank BIS for the huge efforts spent into bringing the engine to this status:

- Convince people to buy the thingie and force them to get within these little boards...

wink_o.gif

Regards,

TB

If the upcoming sequel will meet a part of our main expectations then we all know what we will have to do to thank BIS for the huge efforts spent into bringing the engine to this status:

- Convince people to buy the thingie and force them to get within these little boards...

wink_o.gif

Regards,

TB

still working on it. got 3 new buyers till now smile_o.gif

bis does excelent work with press releases. nice to work out a story with them.

(realy funny to make a ofp:dr adv in parallel. arma2: several sites of cool story stuff etc and beside ofp:dr Uhmm ehh 3 factions one island namend like a other island on a other position. nothing more :/ )

I convinced 2 people to buy Arma2 so far :-) By the way, nice screenshots BIS, I can't wait to get my hands on it. wink_o.gif

That is probably the sea.

No this is really lake.. its official now smile_o.gif

Awesome! A technical question? Is the lake in same heigh as sea water or different?  smile_o.gif

Anyways cool stuff  thumbs-up.gif

It appears to me that the terrain on the left side of the screen is lower than that of the lake. So either im wrong, it can be above sea level or you can remove sea from places below sea level. Im going with its above sea level.

I convinced 2 people to buy Arma2 so far  :-) By the way, nice screenshots BIS, I can't wait to get my hands on it. wink_o.gif

Hi all

On this matter.

It is worth regularly asking your local retailer if they have a release date for ArmA II.

Kind regards walker

I convinced 2 people to buy Arma2 so far  :-) By the way, nice screenshots BIS, I can't wait to get my hands on it. wink_o.gif

Hi all

On this matter.

It is worth regularly asking your local retailer if they have a release date for ArmA II.

Kind regards walker

I don't know how it is in other countries, but here in Czech it's already possible to pre-order it. Release date is set on May 2009. http://xzone.cz/nahledgame.php3?idg=2182

Quote[/b] ]No, they sound totally different in RL!

Oh really ?

Have you heard them irl yourself, or is this just some wild guessing based on vol-cut, condenser mics from cheap vid-cams on downsized youtube videos ?

Sorry mate, unless you heard it yourself with your own private ears it´s better to shut up. And yes, I´ve heard them all with my own ears, including PzFst3 set to impact ignition on live targets. The sound comes pretty close to what is served here, the only thing you´ll miss is the ground vibration on close impacts and more bass plus the imidiate ring of dust that appears after impact from the soil, depending on humidity of the soil.

Troll on.

tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]No, they sound totally different in RL!

Oh really ?

Have you heard them irl yourself, or is this just some wild guessing based on vol-cut, condenser mics from cheap vid-cams on downsized youtube videos ?

Sorry mate, unless you heard it yourself with your own private ears it´s better to shut up. And yes, I´ve heard them all with my own ears, including PzFst3 set to impact ignition on live targets. The sound comes pretty close to what is served here, the only thing you´ll miss is the ground vibration on close impacts and more bass plus the imidiate ring of dust that appears after impact from the soil, depending on humidity of the soil.

Troll on.

tounge2.gif

Ass tounge2.gifwink_o.gif

Seriously, not to end in a pointless discussion here, but i have not heard a AT4 in RL, as Germany simply doesn't use it.

However i was on "public maneuvers" 2 times from the Bundeswehr here in Germany and Weapon of all Kinds and sizes sound rather more like Youtube vids, than they sound in Arma1 - thats for sure!

The Panzerfaust 3 may sound different and in the prome video i have here from Dynamit Nobel they indeed sounding more "bright".

Still AT4 does NOT sound like a "rocket-launched with its own rocket-engine", as this is exactly how its sounds in Arma1 and its wrong.

I have some higher quality promo Videos from Saab-Bofors-Dynamics here, about the AT4, from various angles and its like i said earlier, rather a big "Bangggg", than a rocket-motor launch sound (which is again what we have in Arma - which is wrong).

EDIT: Ohh and, don't call me "Troll" mate, or i will send some Prussian Troops to you....  rofl.gif

EDIT2: Lol, i just checked my documents and saw that the Panzerfaust3 Projectile, is indeed Rocket-Assisted similar to the HEAT Grenades at the Carl-Gustav.

Thats the reason they sound rather similar to the wrong Arma1 AT4 Sound....  icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]The Panzerfaust 3 may sound different and in the prome video i have here from Dynamit Nobel they indeed sounding more "bright".

PzFst3 can´t even be shot with live ammo set on contact detonation in germany smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]AT4 in RL, as Germany simply doesn't use it.

Oh... whistle.gif

Thank god we don´t only operate in germany. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]EDIT: Ohh and, don't call me "Troll" mate, or i will send some Prussian Troops to you....

I still keep the tradition of having a rather fenzy electronic perimeter around my house, even if I´ve moved lately thumbs-up.gif

I agree that the AT-4 and the AT-4 CS have a rather different sound as they are not self-propelled but tbh the expanding air does produce a "swoooosh" sound comparable to rocket propelled grenades so I would call this a minor neglectance at best.

It would on the other hand be really cool if BIS took into account that firing a non CS variant would seriously fry the shooter when firing from confined spaces biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]PzFst3 can´t even be shot with live ammo set on contact detonation in germany  smile_o.gif

How you mean? by law? You say Panzerfaust is forbidded to shoot with live ammo? What they are shooting on those vids then? For me that looks clearly like impact explosions... Don't tell me thats training ammo! (Panzefaust3 Trainng ammo is the blue ones filled with gypsum):

-

-

-

Quote[/b] ]Oh... whistle.gif

Thank god we don´t only operate in germany.

Yes, what i wanted to say with that, is that i have so far traveled not outside Germany to see some Armies shooting live ammo, lol tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]I agree that the AT-4 and the AT-4 CS have a rather different sound as they are not self-propelled but tbh the expanding air does produce a "swoooosh" sound comparable to rocket propelled grenades so I would call this a minor neglectance at best.

Sure, but its clearly distinguishable from a AT4.

Please look the average qualiy vids at Bofors page:

http://products.saabgroup.com/PDBWebN....anyId=8 (under "more info" are the vids)

Quote[/b] ]It would on the other hand be really cool if BIS took into account that firing a non CS variant would seriously fry the shooter when firing from confined spaces

Yes indeed! Backblast simulation like ECS and/or ACE has would be killer....

However if they go into such detail with backblast/overpressure simulation, then there must be more detail at other things too, IMHO.  tounge2.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]You say Panzerfaust is forbidded to shoot with live ammo? What they are shooting on those vids then?

They are shooting with the spike pulled out for AP effect. Shooting with spike retracted is forbidden in germany as safety ranges are hard to calculate then smile_o.gif

I have some pictures of shooting PzFst 3 with retracted spike somewhere in my photobox. If I ever get up to my photobox I can scan them if needed. The blast is really stunning smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Sure, but its clearly distinguishable from a AT4.

In combat ? No.

From a shooters perspective there is hardly a big difference as the volume of the weapon makes you quite unsensitive to the extend of the sound atm you shoot.

On most real life combat situations you shoot those weapons within ranges of up to 700 meters at best. The difference in sound between expanding gases with a non-rocket propelled projectile and a rocket-propelled grenade are really neglectable.

Of course I can only tell you this from my own experience, maybe soeone else can tell a different story, but when you fire such device, no matter if it´s rpg or non-rpg the sound is simply loud, big and you´ll be happy that the projectile is gone. xmas_o.gif

Still, the sounds of the rockets are exactly the same as in Arma, and for a game which centralizes so much on sound improvement over previous titles, this doesn't suit well in my view.. Hopefully, they are just placeholders... here you have all this high quality sound and then this odd sounding rocket being fired.. it kinda ruins the atmospheric effect I think, only because its the only "non natural" weapon I've ever heard.

The weapons they are using in their game have a much different appeal than when I watch them being used in real life on sites like Youtube, etc. Of course, they aren't in a sound proof room, however... but the difference is so stark, you could sound proof all day and it would never sound like it does in Arma. (At least, I think so!wink_o.gif

Im with you Victor.

Making a new engine that seems to sound awesome i also hope the explosion and the missile shot are unfinished samples. Hearing the same explosions and rocket engines inside that sound-image ARMA2 seems to have will be a bit off. IMO. confused_o.gif

Alex

has anyone seen

It looks like its turning out to be a MASSIVE fail compared to ARMA2; serves codemasters right for using the name OFP from BI hehe tounge2.gif

Another article on shacknews about the sequel fight: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57454

Seems like the publicity of ArmA II is growing fast. But the reputation of Armed Assault has to be broken by reviews or something to convince the frustratet ArmA haters tounge2.gif

And about the AT4 etc. I think the overall sound/graphic environement could get "destroyed" for some of you with a "false" weapon sound/effect. But look at the size of this project, you have to make compromises (and we don't even know if and where they did). Everyone can state their opinion, but i please you to stop fighting over details they don't even matter for the game and things which are very subjectiv. But i'm not talking about to stop discussing them (but here it's about the press news i think) tounge2.gif

To the pictures, i love the forest, the foliage and the landscape, it feels natural and dense. Allso the sky and the overall mood. But everything seems to be a little bit shiny, but i can't judge before i see it on my screen playing. The blood effects allso seems to look different and the best part is you can spend 10minutes watching the pictures and find one thing after another. Like in the multiple pictures of the same scene with soldiers in the forest, which show how the slightly different time and camera position changes the impression. The level of detail is great. Looking forward for the new faction reveals.

Grtz Ra!dar

(PS: Didn't anyone care that the newest screenshots are available in a bigger resolution? They aren't scaled up and photoshoped, i checked wink_o.gif)

has anyone seen

It looks like its turning out to be a MASSIVE fail compared to ARMA2; serves codemasters right for using the name OFP from BI hehe tounge2.gif

The fact is that we might be looking at an early beta(or even alpha) built of the game, things might have changed since that built.(and that bi still have a hard battle to fight)

P.s I support the idea of turning the wrongly made at 4 into smaw if bi really think that smoke tail and reloadable AT weapon is somewhat important