Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

72 @ Feb. 23 2009,05:07)]Someone said the tracers are glowing in ARMA2. But to me i cant see it in the latest video. I can see that the muzzle lit up the environment (like ARMA1), but the tracers dont lit the trees up where he shoots between. (night in beginning of video). You see 1 tracer before the UAZ shoot. Dont seem to lit up the environment.

Maybe it was WIP or maybe they dont add that as it looks weird sometimes due to the squarness of the ground sometimes? We know with that light being cut here and there due to the ground res is quite small. (or how you call it).

Hope they will lit the environment up though. Would be sweet.

/Alex

The ACE mod has that tounge2.gif

Yea would be cool to see that implemented, although I would rate it as a pretty low priority thing.

Quote[/b] ]ROFL!!!

Of course they do.....

The effect is so minimal that it´s hardly reasonable to implement such a ressource hungry effect.

The video you linked to was recorded in nightshot-mode, the result is that it looks much brighter than it really is.

Balschoiw, it doesn't matter how strong or weak the effect is - the effect is there, you can see it on nearly every tracer featuring video where one also filmed the ground near impact!

ACE-Mod for instance has it and it works perfectly there. It's tweaked fitting for bullet size, so a bigger 50 cal illuminates more than a small 5,56 round.

There are no performance issues at all with ACE and the Tracers, so thats not an argument.

Quote[/b] ]Dont seem to lit up the environment.

Tracers do not light up the environment in real life, so why should they do it in Arma 2 ?  icon_rolleyes.gif

Of course they do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfsRNmvtKrM

Can't you guys see the lighten effect from mgs in the recent video?!

I see it and its already present in ArmA2!

Though i think the enlighten effect is a bit excessive on the near objects. ( in the video start, when mg is firing, look at the fence.)

edit:

true, but if you can see traces that means they should enlighten something

all you have to do is pause the video randomly and you will see just how much the tracers light up the ground.

I love it when something is right in front of your face.

From the tabs on the bottom of the arma2.com site:

Quote[/b] ]Although ArmA 2 is set in the fictional ex-soviet state of 'Chernarus' the gameworld is actually a 225 square kilometer chunk of the real world! ArmA 2's highly detailed landscape is a meticulous facsimile of real terrain, modelled using extensive geographical data. This recreated region is brought to life with spectacular environmental effects and populated with dynamic civilian settlements and wildlife. Wild animals roam the atmospheric forests while the people of Chernarus try to live out their lives among the war-torn streets.
Quote[/b] ]In ArmA 2 a staggeringly vast array of military hardware is at your disposal. 73 modern weapons, 167 vehicle variants in the air, on land and at sea. The unique AI think and act independently, changing tactics on the fly. No scripts. No pre defined pathways. ArmA 2's AI share information, communicating with each other to hunt players down. They'll use cover and artillery, adapting to your actions and the changing environment.

Independant AI, use arty, real terrain, dynamic civvies.. I'm satisfied like I just ate a huge meal on the holidays...  

Edit: One more bold type for Twisted Lets see the execution of these things!  inlove.gif

I love it when something is right in front of your face.

From the tabs on the bottom of the arma2.com site:

Quote[/b] ]Although ArmA 2 is set in the fictional ex-soviet state of 'Chernarus' the gameworld is actually a 225 square kilometer chunk of the real world! ArmA 2's highly detailed landscape is a meticulous facsimile of real terrain, modelled using extensive geographical data. This recreated region is brought to life with spectacular environmental effects and populated with dynamic civilian settlements and wildlife. Wild animals roam the atmospheric forests while the people of Chernarus try to live out their lives among the war-torn streets.
Quote[/b] ]In ArmA 2 a staggeringly vast array of military hardware is at your disposal. 73 modern weapons, 167 vehicle variants in the air, on land and at sea. The unique AI think and act independently, changing tactics on the fly. No scripts. No pre defined pathways. ArmA 2's AI share information, communicating with each other to hunt players down. They'll use cover and artillery, adapting to your actions and the changing environment.

Independant AI, use arty, real terrain, dynamic civvies.. I'm satisfied like I just ate a huge meal on the holidays...  Lets see the execution of thses things!  inlove.gif

promises are nice. So are words. but we need to see it in action far more than up to now to feel that good meal feeling.

i support BIS and hope that deliver what they promise. but until i see proof it's just a promise.

What would you say if that civ faction vid was done, in places, without individual scripting, like the 'going about life thing' done only with the placement on the map. A few clicks and they're there, and not just walking/driving about but talking, working on cars, groups going in buildings like church, feeding chickens, picking noses etc. Imagine tounge2.gif

I'm just interested to know what happens when an animal walks near a moving object or gets hit by a moving object. I mean, AI units have problems with this too. They always have. I'm sure its extremely difficult because of the dynamic AI, but the issue is the AI instantly stopping, spinning (as if on a merry go round) and then walking in another direction. Animals now, this will be interesting. I can see how they'll not walk into inanimate objects, but animate objects is a different story. Only if the AI could slowly turn around, and have some fluid animation allowing them to turn right/left/180' degrees quickly that didn't look like a robot. I'm sure bootcamp makes you do shotputs for stopping and turning around in the other direction smile_o.gif

I remember back in OFP hitting people with cars and watching them go flying smile_o.gif

=============

On another note, anyone know what they plan to do with the radio? I heard the radio in the trailer, and I almost cried. You know, in RTS games, when you select a unit - they only have a set number of "voices"? Well, why not have a BUNCH of scripted phrases, that would make things a little more natural? (Those voice files are realllllly small).

I think one thing that might fix the whole turnstyle movement of character models (much like what you also see in games like Oblivion) is to add a parametric skeletal animation system or something similar (this far into develepment however I doubt that'll happen) like what Crysis used. The AI movements and animations were very fluent and unrobotic in comparison.

yeah ofp had a really sweet marketing stuff biggrin_o.gif

Btw where is the resistance trailer with speech in? I would really like to show it to a friend.

Hehe, remember OFP's advertising campaign and their trailer(s)?

Man that was truly a good game...

I really miss the experiences i had with it.

I hope they fix the AI Infantry using the roads as travel, i hate how when you order them to go long distances and they pretend that they are a car or something...

yeah, if you want to go from a to b cross country, your first instinct is not to go ploughing through the woods.

I like that feature. Makes them naturally patrol roads.

"Naturally" patrol by walking right down the middle of the damn road? crazy_o.gif

They even do that in combat sometimes. It's one of my biggest gripes in ArmA.

And it looks seriously wrong in a city or small town.

Nice to see that old OFP trailer by the way smile_o.gif

Hehe, remember OFP's advertising campaign and their trailer(s)?

ahh the original notworthy.gif

I am going to go back and play the campaign again now biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]"Naturally" patrol by walking right down the middle of the damn road?

They even do that in combat sometimes. It's one of my biggest gripes in ArmA.

And it looks seriously wrong in a city or small town.

Amen. I wouldn't mind them using the road as long as they stay 5 metres away from the blacktop! It infuriates me seeing AI who I have specifically waypointed to patrol beside a road rather than on it wander back into the middle between each waypoint.