Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

GC:

The spin-up time for the heloes isn't shown, because the initial engine start and lift-off has been clipped together in the same video.

The same goes for the main trailer with the UH-1Y, where you posted about the same thing about spin-up time being to short.

I would guess that the spin-up times are pretty much identical to Arma 1.

is not:

This is of course related to the overall time it takes to turn the engine on and fly in the game.

It's already quite long for gaming habits of many people so I think it's a good compromise between realism and more instant fun that many people expect in games (and no, I am not interested discussing realism versus fun agaim  tounge2.gif

Just because there wont be a 30 minute startup procedure doesnt mean that it will be any shorter then in ArmA1. You took that quote out of its context.  huh.gif

The AI seems a bit improved IMO though, you cant really say from these short clips but they seemed to have no problems getting in the helicopter and they werent afraid to get within 3 meters of a moving vehicle. (And when they stopped it was only for a very short period, my memory may betray me but i think it was a bit longer in ArmA1)

I wasnt very happy with the way the tank was shooting into the distance, the 'enemy further->shoot slower' method may work perfectly for infantry with rifles but for mounted machineguns i would like to see it speeded up a bit more, preferably having the AI shoot in bursts instead of 1 bullet every x amount of time.

+I watched the trailer an extra time just because of the old OFP music. tounge2.gif

GC:

The spin-up time for the heloes isn't shown, because the initial engine start and lift-off has been clipped together in the same video.

The same goes for the main trailer with the UH-1Y, where you posted about the same thing about spin-up time being to short.

is not:

This is of course related to the overall time it takes to turn the engine on and fly in the game.

It's already quite long for gaming habits of many people so I think it's a good compromise between realism and more instant fun that many people expect in games (and no, I am not interested discussing realism versus fun agaim  tounge2.gif

Just because there wont be a 30 minute startup procedure doesnt mean that it will be any shorter then in ArmA1. You took that quote out of its context.  huh.gif

I think he was talking about that procedure will be shorter than one in Arma 1. icon_rolleyes.gif

Just finished watching ofp2 video, and i think codemasters should just leave it to the pros. The ArmA II videos are way better.

GC:

is not:

I think he was talking about that procedure will be shorter than one in Arma 1.  icon_rolleyes.gif

And i think he was saying that the procedure will be just as long as it used to be. icon_rolleyes.gif

I think he was talking about that procedure will be shorter than one in Arma 1.  icon_rolleyes.gif

He never said either way. You're seeing words that are not there  icon_rolleyes.gif

And do you guys really need those massive quote boxes? You can edit out the unnecessary bits tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]

I wasnt very happy with the way the tank was shooting into the distance, the 'enemy further->shoot slower' method may work perfectly for infantry with rifles but for mounted machineguns i would like to see it speeded up a bit more, preferably having the AI shoot in bursts instead of 1 bullet every x amount of time.

That's actually possible to code in ArmA1 and is done so for infantry weapons. Not for vehicles though for some weird reason. Maybe they will fix that later in ArmA 2. Relatively simple config stuff I think.

Although that UAZ seems to be firing in full auto.

Just finished watching ofp2 video, and i think codemasters should just leave it to the pros. The ArmA II videos are way better.

Totally agree, saying that ofp2 seems very early in dev.  Kinda looking more arcade is the impression im getting from the HUD and camera moving with the gun etc.  

Finding it strange some big gaming sites are not updating Arma 2's info!  ive had to give em a few pointers  whistle.gif

Looking good so far BIS, models are looking brilliant, textures are great, just hope the control is more quicker and responsive like good ol flashpoint wink_o.gif

notworthy.gif

Oh and i forgot:

The new tracers look good. thumbs-up.gif

Quote[/b] ]That's actually possible to code in ArmA1 and is done so for infantry weapons. Not for vehicles though for some weird reason. Maybe they will fix that later in ArmA 2. Relatively simple config stuff I think.

Although that UAZ seems to be firing in full auto.

I didnt know that. (Unless you mean adding a 'burst' fire mode, but that is kind of a weird workaround. tounge2.gif )

Cant say that i remember it on infantry machine guns in ArmA1 though. (Cant check right now)

2 UAV's in ARMA2 is stated. Like DaSquade i really would hope that ARMA2 will not only be better in everything we have seen so far, but also that ARMA2 gets more technically advanced. More advanced as using those UAV's like with Mandoble's console from vehicles or backpack, and that the optics have thermal. Its hard for me to see a UAV without these things to be honest. But who knows. Ivan B. said there will be surprises and i have faith in BIS. smile_o.gif

Some tanks and helis would also have thermal and laser. This would be super, maybe not as sophisticated as VBS2 but it would be great.

About the video - AWESOME! Loved the explosion itself as it lit up bright now. Not so dull looking. Only thing that annoyed me a bit was the explosion sound after the tank fired and the missile/rocket sound wich was the same as ARMA1. Sounds in ARMA2 should be ear-banging-mind-orgasming to be in level with the rest i see. smile_o.gif Just hope for little more "tech" in ARMA2.

Regards

Alex

I didnt know that. (Unless you mean adding a 'burst' fire mode, but that is kind of a weird workaround. tounge2.gif )

Cant say that i remember it on infantry machine guns in ArmA1 though. (Cant check right now)

Yes it is by adding burst fire modes, but these fire modes are hidden from the player and different ones can be used according to distance.

You can see it in action on the M249 and PK in ArmA1.

Yes it is by adding burst fire modes, but these fire modes are hidden from the player and different ones can be used according to distance.

Nice, i didnt know this. (I just remembered the burst fire mode on the AK47 in OFP1)

Was this added in a recent patch?

the music is great but sound effects are still very bad imo especially that rpg sound at 1:27

something else is the explosion in the background at 1:23, how it comes we hear the sound so early ? or is it the sound from another explosion ?

Nice, i didnt know this. (I just remembered the burst fire mode on the AK47 in OFP1)

Was this added in a recent patch?

Always in ArmA as far as I know. The only real difference here from OFP is that certain fire modes can be hidden from the player. You could do it in OFP but then the player sees all these burst modes.

Hopefully better use is made of it for vehicles in A2.

I've watched that video at least 3 times now rofl.gif

I remember that music from OFP, brings back memories.

@Zander: I would guess it's another explosion, as since OFP BIS games have simulated the speed of sound. Seems like there is a battle happening there.

Lol, i am addicted to the night-phase... i watched that part like 10 times or more.... and those tracers..... awesome! inlove.gif

Not to speak about the Hind-scene when flying over the woods... that is still to me like from a real footage somehow...

How come there is no pics of Russian forces so far? No modern russian tanks or weapons. I doubt russian faction will be the russian army. Maybe small security force.

How come there is no pics of Russian forces so far? No modern russian tanks or weapons. I doubt russian faction will be the russian army. Maybe small security force.

you can see the faction is still not yet revealed smile_o.gif ... all in right time smile_o.gif

obvious, they keep the best for last wink_o.gif

'This is made of win and awesome!'

The details in the terrain and cockpit, the sounds (except the old ones  crazy_o.gif  ), and the effects all are fantastically well done!  Edit: If the Hinds flying in close formation (1:00) are AI, I'm beyond excited. That and the fact they don't 'swoop' like in ArmA1. And thank you for the music.  It brought back some fond memories.

Especially compared against  UberBF2 *cough* OFP2s vid.

(are they really trying to claim effects and features that are several years old? ahem..)

Back on topic..  My concerns seem to be the same as others:

-English voices for other nationalities.

-Voices being heard from inside a tank. (may have been supporting troops in the area)

-The variable rate of fire from the tanks v.s. distance.

Thanks BIS,  I believe you're back on the OFP track, and have a winner here.

-English voices for other nationalities.

I don't think this is a problem. It would be annoying having to read subtitles to understand what the characters are saying, especially in a game where one hit can kill you. It would also be a disadvantage in multiplayer if you're trying to be stealthy and listen to the opposing team's commands, (although it's probably rare). Since most people only speak English that won't be possible except for certain armies.

I suppose that you could make it so if you're part of the army then they would speak English, but then other factions would speak their own language. Or, better yet, just make the whole thing optional.

@Placebo:

You can on the current state of ArmA2 development of something? Here in Germany,  the publisher Morphicon has offical announced that a beta stage is reached. Really?

In what state of development is ArmA2?

Please give a small info, if this is possible.

The CDF trailer didnt spark any extra enthusiasm since it didnt show anything new or exciting and it looked and sounded just like Arma.

@Placebo:

You can on the current state of ArmA2 development of something? Here in Germany,  the publisher Morphicon has offical announced that a beta stage is reached. Really?

In what state of development is ArmA2?

Please give a small info, if this is possible.

The current state of development is "in progress" smile_o.gif

Great vid guys, Hope the sounds are changed for the final release ?

OPF2 vid, Lots of HDR and very much looks like a console game.

I just saw the video and... well... Codemaster's video was a joke compared to this! tounge2.gif