Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Well, I think they should add another walking animation. The new one should give more of a fast paced hiking style of walking while holding the rifle. Maybe a whole new mode? I think some more modes would be nice. There should be differen't levels of safe, such as relaxed safe (what we have now for walking animation, maybe add option to put gun on back) and patrol safe (fast paced hiking style walking with gun)

Then again ... they could just add the patrol option in the behaviour for the /gun in hand and walking/ and just modify the safe behaviour / make the soldiers put the rifles on their back.

I'm glad they've identified the biggest fault of the original ArmA - the believable world. Be it via mission structures, team interaction, overall plot or environment, they seem to have covered all bases.

I am very much looking forward to playing this and the attention to detail looks fantastic.

Marek Spanel has lied in the past so dont get ur hopes up

lol

Marek Spanel has lied in the past so dont get ur hopes up

lol

Yeah ... a little direct dont you think tounge2.gif

From all the videos it seems like the civilians (like the civilians from Arma), their heads mostly are turned in some odd direction.. like its impossible to look forward for 3 seconds smile_o.gif

From all the videos it seems like the civilians (like the civilians from Arma), their heads mostly are turned in some odd direction.. like its impossible to look forward for 3 seconds smile_o.gif

Yes indeed tounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif

And also it looks very funny that their hands looking so "cramped/stiff", in the way i used it to reduce air-friction, while running during some soccer-matches in my early youth... tounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif

At 1:05 there is a group of about ten civilians walking in the street. This may either have been intentional or done by the AI automatically because of the lack of a sidewalk, but other than those two exceptions I hope this is fixed.

Also, the cow looks like it might be animated too fast because it's scared. The first scene shows a jet fly right over, however, the second doesn't have any evidence of any military event taking place. This is still a decent theory though, because BIS could have given the animals different animations for "Safe", "Aware", and "Combat", if they apply.

The shadows are the same as Arma, except for their color. But it looks like there hasn't been any improvement on the jagged edges as seen at 1:26. Personally it doesn't bother me too much, but others could use it as an excuse to hate the game, (no matter how trivial the problem is). Dynamic shadows is something I'm hoping for too, but I understand that is out of the question.

I like the distant mountains. Is it possible to fly up to them, or are they part of the skybox?

This is still a decent theory though, because BIS could have given the animals different animations for "Safe", "Aware", and "Combat", if they apply.

Hmmm Combat Cows ! Sounds like a new mod to me!

Wonder if they have put bulls into the game that will charge troops?

[TAO] Kremator

Also, the cow looks like it might be animated too fast because it's scared. The first scene shows a jet fly right over, however, the second doesn't have any evidence of any military event taking place. This is still a decent theory though, because BIS could have given the animals different animations for "Safe", "Aware", and "Combat", if they apply.

Good idea . Imagine a stampeed of cows rofl.gif

Why if it's scared it would go at chopper and look at it interestedly? Cow-AI needing bit tweaking biggrin_o.gif

Like i said it moves too fast while step remains too light. Young light weighting cows might move bit like that, but not older ones. Ofcourse it can be that BIS has just walk and possibly run animations and not anything in between. No need for so complex animation structure for such marginal things as cows.

Not biggie that cow animation thou. Human animations aren't 100% correct either. wink_o.gif

....But it looks like there hasn't been any improvement on the jagged edges as seen at 1:26......

"A solution" to this problem could be called "Soft-Shadows" or "Soft-Edged Shadows".

They were suggested to BIS already ages ago in the suggestions-topics.

However to realize them you would have most-likely a performance-decrease of around 5-10%. So it could be the option for "Ultra High" Shadows selected from the Setting-Menu.

I might be mistaken though.....

Some related Info:

http://graphics.cs.lth.se/research/shadows/

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2193.asp

Right now I have only two wishes. Get rid of that white bloom, it's irritating to look at crazy_o.gif

Secondly, I wish to have gameplay vids even more. I want to see how the first person is (maybe they will launch without showing? I mean we're expecting a huge difference here whistle.gif )

Secondly, I wish to have gameplay vids even more. I want to see how the first person is (maybe they will launch without showing? I mean we're expecting a huge difference here  whistle.gif )

I dont think we are going to get anymore of those until the factions section of the site is complete

@Praelium

Those distant mountains (the greyish ones) are definately part of the skybox. We discovered this feeature on GC 08. But thanks BIS they are only visible on the island side. So if you are at the beach, on the one side you will see the sky at the horizon, on the other side you'll will see those great looking mountains. To me, it doesn't matter if they are real or just faked. The evoked atmosphere is really great!  yay.gif

edit: Here is are those mountains

Hit me!

@Praelium

Those distant mountains (the greyish ones) are definately part of the skybox. We discovered this feeature on GC 08. But thanks BIS they are only visible on the island side. So if you are at the beach, on the one side you will see the sky at the horizon, on the other side you'll will see those great looking mountains. To me, it doesn't matter if they are real or just faked. The evoked atmosphere is really great!  yay.gif

edit: Here is are those mountains

Hit me!

Wow! And it's actually achievable with terrain geometry if you properly use volumetric distance fog (or volumetric clouds for extremely high terrain) and large viewdistances.

Well the latter is a standard in BIS games, let's hope they can improve the distance fog and clouds.

Yeah, the mountains really do look good. It's strange how there are huge mountains in Arma, but in certain places they aren't visible. Also, the fog just makes it worse, (try it). Maybe this will be fixed with BIS's updated fog, and I've read that smoke will no longer go through objects. I'd like to see an example of those in a trailer.

Nice links mr.g-c, confused the hell out of me.  wink_o.gif  But, yeah, since it would hurt performance it's a good idea to use it as the 'Ultra-High' shadow setting.

I don't know about everybody else, but personally I'm hoping for a few feature specific videos. One that shows off the graphics, (like this video for

), another that shows off the sound (I'd love to have sound like
), and the last that shows off the AI. Of course, BIS could skip the videos altogether and release a demo.  tounge2.gif

couldnt resist this.....Cows with Guns  biggrin_o.gif

No fake mountains please !

Yes i can't believe that they use such a "technology" icon_rolleyes.gif

So far i always thought thats those Mountains were distant Mountains which you could only see them "like they are", because they are at the limit of set viewdistance.

This is a step back IMHO.

Right now I have only two wishes. Get rid of that white bloom, it's irritating to look at  crazy_o.gif

I personally don't like it ether. Hopefully an option to turn it off will come.

I know you can turn off bloom in Arma but its still kinda there.

No fake mountains please !

Yes i can't believe that they use such a "technology"  icon_rolleyes.gif

So far i always thought thats those Mountains were distant Mountains which you could only see them "like they are", because they are at the limit of set viewdistance.

This is a step back IMHO.

When the map is not surrounded by ocean on all sides it would not look good to see the horizon in the distance. In my opinion they made a good choice.

Come on, it would only look worse without them  confused_o.gif

As for the bloom comments, I think it would look ok if they toned it down maybe to ArmA's level. I'm no fan of overdone bloom either.

Quote[/b] ]Come on, it would only look worse without them confused_o.gif

Maybe yes, but it would be be better if they let those "skybox-mountains" only appear when you are really close to the border in any direction where there is no water.

But so far as Telejunky mentioned it, it sounds like the "skybox-mountain" are always visible when looking into any of those "water-less" directions.

Right now I have only two wishes. Get rid of that white bloom, it's irritating to look at  crazy_o.gif

I personally don't like it ether. Hopefully an option to turn it off will come.

I know you can turn off bloom in Arma but its still kinda there.

it's going from an extrem to another, what we need is an option to set the amount of bloom so everyone will be happy.