Sign in to follow this  
nesponge

Big problems

I purchased the sprocketIDEA GOLD EDITION of armed assault and patched the game to the latest version.

However when trying to run the game I can play some missions... others result in the game crashing to desktop momentarily before the system completely restarts.

It also restarts if I exit the game.

I am completely at a loss as to what is causing the problem... it is the first game I have had any kind of issue with on this system.

Temps are all very low and even very demanding games like crysis run smoothly with no hiccups or crashes. It has been running stably for months.

The system is NOT overclocked

Here are my system specs.

Intel 8400 core 2

Asus P45 Deluxe motherboard

4GB corsair ram (2X matching sticks in dual channel)

ATI radeon 4870 512mb (using cats 8.11)

Creative X-fi gamer

500w power supply

Windows XP home 32 bit

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... thanks smile_o.gif

I've just been searching and it seems other people have experienced issues like this as well.

It seems to be an ATI issue... perhaps drivers or the firmware on the card itself?

Problems like that are a real pain confused_o.gif

First thing to try, as always, is update graphics drivers and any other drivers like motherboard drivers.

It's often worth going back to older graphics drivers as sometimes new ones introduce problems.

Give that firmware update a try too.

thanks for the reply... I think i'm going to try cat 8.8's as later drivers seem to be causing issues with this game... will post back with results.

Whenever I have video card issues I like to use ATITool. It has that graphics benchmark that runs up to 1000 FPS to maximize the heat on your videocard. If the system crashes within an hour theres definitely a problem.

[A problem I had back then turned out to be unstable memory settings... every time I'd use ATITool it'd crash which led me to more carefully test my system for the cause]

Nope, I have those specs (Vista 32, 4GB RAM, ArmA 1.14).

The issue is with Radeon cards, in the main, I believe. I have an 8800GTX, so I duck the problem just nicely.

ATI is a pain when it comes to DirectX games...OpenGL does fine... that for the game performance.

For the sudden shutdown before you run the game try to close all aplications running in the background (i mean all...including anti-virus). Also try to kill all processes looking dodgy. Then run the game...still shutting down?

Try also removing the audio card (just to see where the problem is coming from).

Nope, I have those specs (Vista 32, 4GB RAM, ArmA 1.14).

The issue is with Radeon cards, in the main, I believe. I have an 8800GTX, so I duck the problem just nicely.

not true. i used to have nvidia and now have ati 4870 and it works a treat with Arma. Running latest catalyst drivers on xp with latest service pack.

i am sorry to not be able to help more.