Sign in to follow this  
steele6

What do u want in Arma2

this may help to centralize our wishes for Arma2. I think the believeable story should take 1st place, then better animations, then AI then better UI the better control of troops.. then flight controls.. then sounds.

my opinion

biggrin_o.gif

but BI seems to be improving most of the important stuff( AI, story)

You can't choose only one...

But my main ones are;

1. AI Improvement, a big must! Believable enemy is what every good game needs smile_o.gif

2. Animations/Weapons improvement - Animations for each individual weapons, new death/movement animations, no clipping on weapons etc etc.

3. Believable Story line, a GOOD campaign that makes you WANT to play it, rather than like...'ahh this is alright, but id rather do something else..

4. Better graphics - better shaders, better performance, nicer views. Including grass, so it can be noticed at a far distance etc etc

5. Better effects, good solid destructible effects to vehicles, buildings and big trees, abilities for craters etc etc

6. Better GUI, that is easy to use and looks good too smile_o.gif

That's what I believe everyone in a nutshell wants ArmA 2 to have. Plus, have all the ArmA 1 bugs ironed out. Would make the perfect game. smile_o.gif

It's a tough choice, but I voted for "Better Sounds" because I've come to believe nothing can help create a more powerful atmosphere than the right combination of sounds and noise.

Clothes, backpacks, guns - everything rattles and crackles a little bit when moving. And of course gun fire reverberation. No atmosphere without sharp sounds echoing.

Sound is king in games. (my opinion anyway)

Generally vote 4 one, and then give your opinion or watever you wish, hopefully the devs can have a look when more ppl vote. tell ur friends smile_o.gifwelcome.gif

1.Good optimized game able to play without gigatons of patches! Dammit!!!!

2.Better Ai suitable for urban operations and cqb

3.OFP like story and characters

4.Reallistic weapons and damage system

5.No arma 1 stuff like sahrani and poor quality of sound

6.Music themes from ofp

7.Improved mission editor

8.Modder tools.

9. Believable characters and compelling storyline

10. first aid kits

Something has to be done about the distance grass. If nothing is done to spice it up a little bit more, then I will start a massive mod team to hack the game to pieces then fix it up myself. It's been done in the avgani iraq map, it's possible now, and we don't even need it as detailed, just enough to bring believability to what your seeing.

Basicaly, it looks really good when your looking at everything in the circle of detail (close grass, vegetation), but it is quickly killed as soon as you look 10 meters further. Why not the avgani iraq solution for the taller sections of grass at a distance?

Why not the avgani iraq solution for the taller sections of grass at a distance?

Try completely covering all the terrain with it and you will see why.

It can work for some tall sections of grass, but it gets more difficult to get both good performance and good looks as you increase the amount of grass.

1: animations

2: AI

3: non-hitpoint damage system

Indeed!

These 3 are also my 3 must-have points.

Why not the avgani iraq solution for the taller sections of grass at a distance?

Try completely covering all the terrain with it and you will see why.

It can work for some tall sections of grass, but it gets more difficult to get both good performance and good looks as you increase the amount of grass.

No, i'm not talking about completely covering it, i'm talking about the tall grass sections. You have the low grass and the tall grass. The shorter grass is low and makes up the majority of the base. The tall grass is the tall tan clumps you see in the pictures and video. If you replace only the tall grass areas at a distance you can bring realism to the terrain of the map letting people actualy use it as cover. If you calculate the total amount spread over that set range, I think it should go out 200meters past the circle of detail, then it should probably be near the compacted amount of textures you have to view in the avgani iraq map. This should have little impact on performance at all. I'm not saying your entire view distance, which would be invisible at that range.

A few more thing I would expect from ARMA2:

- Real phisics engine....no more tanks flying 100m in the air

- Improved transparency render...so we dont get massive fps loose on dense forrests.

- Operative smoke discharger on tanks and APCs...and no transparent smoke for AI.

- Reallistic relative-spotting for AI.

- Enginners vehicles like portable bridges...minefield clearer...tank cranes.

- Better Weather effects regarding vehicles...animated windshield wipers...mud slippery terrain...no more dust clouds behind the tank when the terrain in wet (recent rain)...

- All-season textures (winter to spring).

- Capabilities for deforming the terrain...dig a foxhole...or even better...tell your IAs..to dig trenches..

- Operative Snorquel for tanks

Well....you know...it´s almost christmas and I want the fat guy in red to bring us all the candys

biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

please please please allow me to fire a weapon out of the window of a truck or hmv. i always feel so stupid when a truck is getting eaten up and im in it, and there is no way to shoot back, just some suppressive fire would have helped in a lot of my situations.

out of a heli would be cool but i understand if the hardcores do not want it.

I want the CD in the game box lol

Thank you. Thank you. I'm here all week tounge2.gif

Now seroiously, Better Ai. I want to feel like Ai are doing something important with out me having to micro command them. Like using corners, looks for cover as soon as the bullets fly. stuff like that. Tanks that act like tanks not like soldiers with a big ass gun.

Can I just choose "All above"?

ok, if I must pick one, I would pick Better AI for MOUT.

But I also really want reallistic vehicle damage model...

dunno if there is anyone on this forum plays a Russian

game "Faces of War"(Outfront2 in Russia version)

It has the best vehicle damage model I have ever seen in any games...

1: animations

2: AI

3: non-hitpoint damage system

Indeed!

These 3 are also my 3 must-have points.

+1

Well, you'll have some different animations, and better AI for sure... no mention of any change to the damage system, though.

Of course a couple more of things to say....

I dont want the helicopters with missiles to be god...add G-A capable vehicles (tunguska, sam launchers, ....).. I say this coz currently Vk and Hellfires can cover up to 4 km range and noone on the ground can shoot back. Helicopters should also carry counter-measures.

It could also be cool to add field guns that could be towed by trucks...or other vehicle.

Better animations - Included.

Believeable story - Included.

Better effects - Nice explosions.

Better AI - Micro AI Included.

Fix the bugs first! - Hope for that.

Better UI - Included.

New command system - Included.

better sounds  - Way better than just 'Better' biggrin_o.gif

better flight controls - o_O ?

More stuff to play with - Included.

Ummm, what's this poll for? biggrin_o.gif

These three are #1 on my list:

* Believeable story/missions

* Good AI

* As few bugs as possible

This "simulation" will need a lot of things fixed in order to make it a good game in terms of what it is trying to achieve.

The entire engine itself needs to be overhauled.. no wait not overhauled... They need to make a whole new engine from scratch

The in game footage looks exactly like Arma 1 which I think is very bad. There are too many things wrong with the engine for it to be used as a base for a simulation. For instance the fact that the models themselves have some of the key physics data like weight etc in the actual model data itself??? This is not how a simulation should be based.

I want an engine where I can explicitly specify Vehicle Weight, Inertia, Engine HP/Torque Mapping, Gearbox ratios, even drag coefficient in the vehicle config file. Okay be may it doesn't have to be as detailed as having to specify spring rate / damper / ride height etc. but come on man...

There is no simulation of friction..?? on model surfaces. hence you cannot say for instance take a ride on a tank just by climbing on to it. The Vehicle simulation is also screwed. eg simulation: car, simulation: tank, simulation: shotshell / shotbullet??.

Why is there a difference? same thing except one has some more smoke. which you should be able to specify along with recoil to get the proper effects. Because of this you cant properly simulate an 8x wheeled APC like a tracked tank. The AI drives each differently which make using the AI a real hassle and highly unrealistic.

There are so many things wrong with this engine, the list will be way to long to type out.

Don't even get me started on the crappy out of the box simulation that BIS puts in. The game is extremely pro infantry. 4 RPGs to kill a heavy MBT in arma. That just ain't right. OFP was much better even though that wasn't realistic either

However, looks like OFP2 is going all the way. In a question time session the main AI and physics modeller for OFP2 said on a question of balance. "There is no need to balance the game for gameplay's sake, as real world weapons are created to counter balance real world armour etc.." If real world battlefield technology can't provide a counter for a given situation, then there is no counter.. period.

Not to mention the properly simulated tank and APC digital fire control systems. OFP2 is simply beautiful to look at, from both a graphics and purity of simulation physics point of view. Of course I have nothing against BIS. But they really need to stop cutting corners. After playing Armed Assault my faith in BIS as a true simulation maker was severely shaken.

And after seeing videos of Arma 2. (or was it Arma 1) cause I really couldn't tell the difference.. With respect to BIS I think I'll be buying Operation Flashpoint 2 come spring next year

My 2 cents..

ArmA2 is Alpha pics/vids are ingame not like some from OFP2 faked for marketing reasons. Maybe both games will be great to play - what are you going to do? wink_o.gif

Take a look at this OFP 2 video.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iEK1NqCNICs&feature=related

Take note of the in game animations. vehicular doors, fire control simulation, etc. Compare the stuff like OFP2 Javelin interface simulation to the Arma "doesn't exist" Javelin fire control interface.

I'm not here to flame for OFP 2 though. I thought OFP2 was going to be crappy as well, but it seems that it's not. I am however totally frustrated at BIS for the piss poor job they have been doing.