Sign in to follow this  
m@ster

Americas Army 3

I hate the way the top and bottom of the screen are chopped off unless you have a widescreen monitor...

@Wipman - You have at least logged in, that's a major achievement :D congratulations

I hate the way the top and bottom of the screen are chopped off unless you have a widescreen monitor...

It's like that unless you have a 16:10 monitor.

If you have a 16:9 monitor which is the international standard. You get the black bars on the left and the right.

A dev seem to be excusing the poor game here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/thankyoudevs/index.html

I worked as a Dev at AA Emeryville for the last year and a half and I hope I can appeal to your rationality and common sense. I would like you to imagine trying to build a game with an impossible deadline, steadily declining workforce (via firings), A hiring freeze, constantly being fed misinformation, having the “higher ups†completely ignore your weekly plea for either A) more time, or B) more manpower, working a ton of unpaid overtime, pouring your heart and soul into a misadventure only to have the uniformed community scoff at you for uncontrollable variables….. RIGHT when you’ve just lost your job.

There are problems with the release beyond the devs control. In fact, the bureaucracy is so convoluted that you can’t even begin to imagine the breadth and scope of B.S. the devs had to deal with daily. in short, imagine being the subcontractor of a subcontractor of a contractor to the government. Sure Millions of dollars may have been poured into this project, but how much do you think made it to the actual DEV team, the people MAKING the game, after it was filtered by the bureaucracy?

I realize if you are a gamer, you rightly expect a game to work. period. But I would ask that you imagine for a second that you actually DON’T understand what it takes to make this particular game, and you really don’t understand the many obstacles that were placed in front of the Devs… in nerdy terms: A Kobiyashi maru.

What I would like you to understand is that the Devs did everything they could, worked a TON of unpaid overtime, put their time and passion into an un-winnable situation, and were effectively stabbed in the back. Many of these guys are my close friends, they have family to take care of, and overpriced rent to deal with. They just came off busting their butts for months, to be let go, without warning. Perhaps a little empathy is in order here.

Almost every multiplayer online game has problems upon release. These problems become exaggerated when a development team is kept in constant turmoil and paranoia via misinformation and a high rate of employee turnover. When the people you trust around you are being let go, it becomes difficult to emotionally invest yourself in the titanic sinking ship. Nonetheless, I can tell you the Devs STILL pushed themselves as hard as they could.

Furthermore, the problem with the game at this point, has everything to do with the authentication servers being slammed, A.K.A not a controllable variable by the Devs. Sure there are bugs, they WERE being fixed, and now you’ll be lucky to see any fixes in the near future.

For those of you who think Redstone arsenal will do a better job, well…. I won’t have to tell you that you’re sadly mistaken because you’ll see for yourself.

I’m not sure why i’ve felt compelled to write this when I’m sure it will get deleted, or even scoffed at further, but I hoped to let the fans know that we tried as hard as we could and are very bummed to see the fruits of our labor shoved at gamers like a heaping pile of crap.

quoted it in case it is removed.

Also worth noting is the new 0.86 Project Reality mod patch. With this one plus Arma 2, Its a good week for tactical gamers despite this disaster :)

If you have a 16:9 monitor which is the international standard. You get the black bars on the left and the right.

Bodes ill for surround gamers.

I can't find any easy way to mess with the screen res and FOV in the ini files.

16:9 is not international standard. 16:10 is the standard for computer monitor. I'll be getting one of the 120Hz 16:10 monitor soon anyways so this doesn't bother me.

Bodes ill for surround gamers.

I can't find any easy way to mess with the screen res and FOV in the ini files.

AFAIK there's config file BaseEngine.ini.

Check out values:

StartupResolutionX=1680
StartupResolutionY=1050

Thanks Guba, I might have missed that one, I'll give it a go.

Bah, no, I've tried that one before. I can type in a custom resolution there, but it doesn't give me one in the game.

There was a CurAspectRatio=AspectRatio_43 setting in AA3game.ini too that failed to change it in game.

Edited by Baff1

The devs just released a new patch, fixes most of the auth issues. I got in to test it out and auth server is working for me. I cna login, do training and have it save, and also join some servers.

WOOT.

I get kicked from most servers, but other than that it works good. Managed to play a session last night on Alley and goddamnit it was good, despite the small bugs.

New patch and... new issues. :(

The game now freezes while "LOADING TRAINING MISSION" or just after click "PLAY TRAINING" (Phase 1 - RED): link. Downloaded and patched via Steam (that AA3Deploy thing was a total failure).

I could get it to work only once (training mission) and what can I say is the sounds, weapons and animations are amazing. :ok:

I just tried it and explored a few of the levels. The graphics dont even come close to the first stalker but the frame rate is low and the game feels very jerky.

Interesting. for me AA3 performance is excellent (got constant 60 fps with everything set to max). You probly confuzed America's Army with ArmA. :icon2:

And 1 more thing - these stories of the AA Development Studio Closed is a total bullshit. They just expanded their studio and moved it to the other place: source. Besides they still work (on a next fixes), so dont spam the forum with dubious bullshit crap like this.

I get kicked from most servers, but other than that it works good.

Make sure you've passed proper courses (some missions may need a Special Forces or Advanced Individual training). Also check your PunkBuster (pnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe must be working and allowed for communication).

Edited by funkee

Make sure you've passed proper courses (some missions may need a Special Forces or Advanced Individual training).

The what kind of courses now? I only see 5, obstacle course, marksmanship, weapon familiarization, lifesaving and MOUT. Plus the MOS of course.

Personally I think its the auth server that's kicking you. I've tried joining over a dozen servers now and its either:

- Incredibly slow to authorize, then when you get into the server you cant join a team and get kicked to the menu a minute later.

- Directly kick you to menu

- Unable to authorize, kick to menu.

None of the servers had punkbuster running (like 1/50 servers do).

Otherwise, if you can actually join a server and play, the game is quite decent. Some annoying stutter lag and ugly looking maps though.

The what kind of courses now? I only see 5...

no idea, maybe there is no more courses in AA3, but as I remember in AA2, to play some maps (f.e SF Sandstorm), you had to pass additional courses (in this case Special Forces training).

How do i check FPS? I look on the keyboard settings and it says press f10 for FPS, but that shows my ms only.

Hmmph.

I finally figured out how to force anti aliasing without it screwing over the game. Difference is night and day for me.

Overall the game feels a bit jerky even though i have high fps (i think anyways). Sure they will fix it up though.

Been playing alley map all day in a 26 player server. Was good fun.

A question: how did you managed to log in to your account? Auth never works for me.

Hi, i had to make a new account for the AA3, my AAO 2.81 account don't works here, so

after check that some retarded has logged in as: charles wipman, i had to change my name

to Charles_Wipman and after create the new account... i just entered and was able of log

in, without problems. Let's C ya

I've got AA3 account. It keeps saying my login details are incorrect. Believe me I've tried everything, and I don't want to lose preregistered account ;)

Yes funkee, I forgot about this one :P

EDIT: hooagh! I've just managed to log in!

Edited by zGuba

How do i check FPS? I look on the keyboard settings and it says press f10 for FPS, but that shows my ms only.

Hmmph.

I finally figured out how to force anti aliasing without it screwing over the game. Difference is night and day for me.

Overall the game feels a bit jerky even though i have high fps (i think anyways). Sure they will fix it up though.

Been playing alley map all day in a 26 player server. Was good fun.

that ms is your fps. 16ms time between frame changes mean 60fps. 32ms delay before picture updates means 30fps and so on.

Hi, now i've passed the mout and i've graduated but... it tells me that the MOUT is not made

and i can't enter into any MP server, i can't choose a team and yeah, after some time seems

that im auto-kicked from there to the damn main menu. It also tells me that there isn't any

patch/upgrade released yet & that i will inform me (the Steam) once it be released, to ask

me for install it. Let's C ya

just get FRAPS.

and here are some screenies from a shooting range:

aa35.jpg

aa32.jpg

aa31q.jpg

aa37t.jpg

accuracy 90% and fail... crap

Edited by funkee

accuracy 90% and fail... crap

Retry... A dozen times over :rolleyes:

@funkee

The young man in the top painting is demonstrating the added benefit of cramming your eye into the scope on the left side. Not only do you get a black eye, but you get a mouth full of hot brass. The situation is win-win.

Edited by Max Power