Sign in to follow this  
m@ster

Americas Army 3

I played AA they said i'm an pathetic idiot (either my team mates or game, i really don't know) and based on that i will say that it's game for idiots only. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The U.S. Army today announced that its America's Army PC game, which lets players explore Soldiering in the U.S. Army, has been recognized with five records in the upcoming Guinness World Records 2009: Gamer's Edition.

http://www.megagames.com/news....s.shtml

• Largest Virtual Army

• Most Downloaded War Video Game

• Most Hours Spent Playing a Free Online Shooter

• Earliest Military Website to Support a Video Game

• Largest Travelling Game Simulator

Good old Guiness.

I wonder if this is on the same page as the worlds Angriest Aardvark.

Looks like counter strike source to me, never played it tho, and from those screenshots I wouldn't waste the time downloading it either.

Tho to be fair i'm not the target group for this game they want young to mid teens, who go online and shoot stuff and join the army.

They don't want a silly old sod like me who will wait about no wanting to get shot.

i'm pretty sure CounterStrike can beat these 'world records' easily ...

plus there are lot of issues on these claims

1. registered accounts != active userbase

(count inflantion via auto-bots on registration service was going free for at least 1-2 years which pleased cheaters)

2. downloads =! installed clientbase

(also are they unique downloads or re-downloads or finished downloads or just attempts)

3. hours running client =! hours playing

4.well not sure about both because i think there were some games before 'registered' by goverment (if they used ' first multiplatform military' then it was right)

5. not sure about the VAE claim (Dsly would know better if there is something similar based on VBS1,2,Ambush)

anyway if they really get these record claims then i need wonder who verified theirs validity because at least for 4 of them there is huge chance of NOT being first or biggest/most w/e

simply put another bombastic PR claim ...

I agree, AA3 looks as bad as its predecessor (not mainly graphically wise), to limited, etc. - no option for me.... biggrin_o.gif

I agree, AA3 looks as bad as its predecessor (not mainly graphically wise), to limited, etc. - no option for me.... biggrin_o.gif

By some pre-beta screens only you are going to make the decision?

Hmm yes, i already disliked AA2, AA3 will not have a free open world like I little spoiled guy is used to have with OFP or Arma. tounge2.gif

Of course if there will be some very nice never seen before tactical-gameplay innovations, then maybe i give it a try since its free.

Hmm yes, i already disliked AA2, AA3 will not have a free open world like I little spoiled guy is used to have with OFP or Arma.  tounge2.gif

Of course if there will be some very nice never seen before tactical-gameplay innovations, then maybe i give it a try since its free.

There will be round pre-planning phase added for example. And if I recall correctly, you will be able to select where a blackhawk will drop you in the beginning of the game in some maps.

(count inflantion via auto-bots on registration service was going free for at least 1-2 years which pleased cheaters)

(also are they unique downloads or re-downloads or finished downloads or just attempts)

4.well not sure about both because i think there were some games before 'registered' by goverment (if they used ' first multiplatform military' then it was right)

5. not sure about the VAE claim (Dsly would know better if there is something similar based on VBS1,2,Ambush)

anyway if they really get these record claims then i need wonder who verified theirs validity because at least for 4 of them there is huge chance of NOT being first or biggest/most w/e

0 - No context is given, so I presume aggregate stats across entire product family.

1 - Fair argument there, peak and avg active stats are nebulous due to multiple concurrent games. Additionally, your point stands about validity of 'uniqueness' of accounts.

2 - No source is given for what source is 'official', and what constitutes a download. 42 million downloads, along with a Fileplanet most-downloaded sticker though has to account for something, even if it is franchise-wide. At this point though, since everything has bots, you kinda have to average in the bots as an indicator of market popularity, eg because if it wasn't popular it wouldn't be botted, particularly where there's little RMT potential other than leveling honor for a yuan or two.

3 - There is a data center with a fair bit of stored replays somewhere that Army Research Lab's got their hands on that gives interesting research. It's possible to build statistical overlays from thousands of played scenarios to determine statistically optimal routes, and in theory that could then be injected back into the game as guidance or real-time performance/deviation analysis.

The record title also is fairly specific, and there's not likely anything else that would come close. There's three qualifiers: Free, Online, and Shooter. Online and Shooter, there's competition. Free and Online, plenty of those too. Free Shooter, those justifiably have crappy stats. Aggregate all three though, and nothing else comes close.

It's a bit unfair though because as a non-commercial title they're the odd man out in a predominantly commercial market.

4 - Well yeah, but that's kind of a non-record isn't it? When there's nothing else to compare to or measure against, how do you gauge the significance? It's one of those retrospective things I guess. Now it's serious business, but back then, it was a wild gamble adventure.

5 - Look at the title. VAE's not exactly run out of the back of a single HMMWV, it's a mammoth setup. Anything remotely that size tends to be fixed site operations, eg mall arcade / hobbyist type stuff. It also doesn't specify whether that includes the lite version, which puts four dismounts and a driver in an expanded snowmobile trailer and is typically used by National Guard Recruiting. It takes a lot of real estate space to park even part of VAE, not to mention the infrastructure staff. I very highly doubt there's anyone else that's doing anything anywhere close in terms of scale. Then again, anyone else would be focused more on revenue returns, while VAE has predominately non-revenue objectives which helps justify the scale. The pics here give some sense as to the scale.

It's verified by the same people who verify all the other claims in the Guiness book of records.

Ultimately if you are the guy who can eat the most live spiders in 2 minutes, good luck to you. No need for me to try and dispute or belittle your title.

Some more screens released too and a new interview as well.

well free shooter e.g. warrock smile_o.gif pretty sure considering it's like 3 times older and still popular (for w/e reason) it could easily break the AA so so record ...

also in times when i played AA then for sure it wasn't sending any stats (recording progress of gameplay wise) back ...

and i doubt it is now

but for that i would need to take closer look on the code and data flow and since i gave up on AA i really don't want go back (at least to 2.x)...

this is ofcourse different for servers hosted on such facility smile_o.gif then it's easy to record such stuff (it was there since always as it was part of UE2)

like i said i find it just bombastic PR stunt than really factful info ...

IMHO as long the endless number of mishaps, bugs and errors done for 1.x and 2.x not repeats in 3.x it may turn to be really great game ...

w/o need for 'PR records'

They always make these huge claims but the truth is you end up alone crawling inside an air conditioning duct or some typical FPS stuff like that.

The reason why these games simulate infantry like glorified CS is simply because the technology they use is not up to the task.

They always make these huge claims but the truth is you end up alone crawling inside an air conditioning duct or some typical FPS stuff like that.

The reason why these games simulate infantry like glorified CS is simply because the technology they use is not up to the task.

Didn't you watch the video about mission planning and built in TS3 voip? The game will have much more teamwork in public than AA 2.x.

That never works.

Works and have worked in Project Reality for a few years now - and AA3 will have even more advanced mission planning/squad system, where squads will be assigned their waypoints before the round starts.

PR is a very different case. They issue licences to servers so they can run PR. So they have to be trusted and well admined, team play is pretty much enforced. Besides, half the time I played PR there was no team play at all, even when I joined a squad a communicated. So I uninstalled it.

I don't think AA3 is going to be any different.

Oh and I love the 200m viewdistance.

Any news/gossip when this is to be released?

You know, this will be a free game, OFPII wont be. wink_o.gif

(muaha couldnt resist)

well i wonder how great TS3 is cause i keep hearing rumours about it for years ...

i mean i hope it's better than Mumble ... smile_o.gif

well i wonder how great TS3 is cause i keep hearing rumours about it for years ...

i mean i hope it's better than Mumble ... smile_o.gif

It will have a surround sound like Mumble, hopefully better since mumble surround doesn't work with X-Fi cards.

Some people just don't get that AA is no ArmA/OFP.... tounge2.gif

AA is not trying to compete with Open-landscape-battle games.

Well, the problem it has is that it is meant to be a recruitment advertising tool. On an ad about leather shoes, I'd expect I'd buy leather shoes and not plastic boots.

America's Army should depict army life. It's not about being Arma or ofp, it's about being close to the real deal. Since I'm not in the US army i can not tell you what the real deal is, but it's certainly not what America's army is. smile_o.gif