Sign in to follow this  

The Beginning

The Beginning

V2 :

This is a fully completed Demo mission for Kolgujev Conflict Arma. This new version has all previous bugs removed, along with some areas of the mission enhanced as well.

Mission Features :

Full scale war between Modesta and Obregan.

2 different battle scenarios during the mission.

Intense action as the mission progresses.

Ai operated artillery strikes on opposing towns.

2 main objectives, help the friendly clan win the battle in the field, then assist in taking over Obregan.

Both towns fully populated with troops, static mg's, artillery, tower guards, patrols, static guards, and a tank floating around there somewhere too.

Both towns fully populated with objects to present the towns as 'bases' proper, the enemy held "base" is massive.

Difficult, but not excessively difficult. Assist a rag tag group of allied rebels in winning a war against an enemy of superior force.

Full freedom to do what you want, how you want, to achieve your goals.

In game music with on/off switch in action menu.

Mission time is not excessive, normally within an hour.

Brief History :

Help save the allied clans on the island from annihilation...

After many months have passed since the great war, survivors have banded together and clans have began to form across the island which are based in many towns. Clear definitions of most clans dispositions becomes more and more evident as these groups slowly build their towns into something useful, and expand their group sizes. Many 'dark' clans, as they have been deemed, become giants, holding huge cities to the north, and continue growing, and begin to flex their muscles on nearby allied clan held towns that have very little in numbers and assets. As time draws on, and unrest continues, a huge city forms in the old town of Corazol. It is now considered 'the merchant city', a place where all sides and factions come and go to buy or sell, or to just mingle in the city and maybe visit the tavern and get drunk. The merchant city has become a dangerous place, although ironically it is considered to be managed by an allied clan, Erudin, whom even has their own radio station, the clan both supports the efforts of the other allied clans and freely allows trading of any faction within their city walls. Things lately have been escalating across the island, various large 'dark' clans seeking more power continue to attack allied clans, full scale wars have begun to occur as the allied clans retaliate, and are often annihilated because of their weak strength... The fate of the island is becoming grim..

From Notes in the briefing :

After having survived the great war, and since then spent many months wandering the the war torn island, I have made the decision to help the allied clans that have grown in various towns. I've recently met up with a young lady while in the merchant city, and she really seems to know her stuff. We have teamed up together to help our allies against the ever growing monster that many of the enemy clans are becoming. War between clans is occurring more and more often lately.. and for many allied clans everything they have worked so hard for to create a resemblance of a decent life in their towns now is threatened to be destroyed. We are outnumbered, and outgunned, we must find a way before it is too late for us..

Pictures from mission:

Title

ADDONS REQUIRED :

*note LowFly EU 1.02 is no longer required

Queens Gambit

Flags.Pbo - provided directly with mission, install in addons or create mod folder

Note that addons here that links direct to the Bis forums topics for addons *do* have multiple reliable links on the first page in the topic. If a topic does not, I dug through and found reliable links hosted by various sites.

map_misc - mapfact

http://www.mapfact.net/include....52561d1

MapFact EU

MapFact 3DE * Important note - the folder ArmaEXT does not need to be installed from the 3DE - the mod folder itself only need be installed and active. There is a script that objects use in the mission, and hence 3DE is required. The 3DE also requires Map_Services addon, which can be found at the mapfact site as well.

BB Mercenaries

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....enaries

Resistance Units (apocalypse mod) (freedom fighters)

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=addons&id=392

http://armed-assault.de/downloads/apocalypse-mod-10-beta.html

Tanya

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=addons&id=552

SF Delta Units

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=76021

SF Delta weapons (scar)

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=76021

Mission Download Link :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=75W18JLW

Installation :

Install above listed required addons

Put the 'The_Beginning.pbo' in your Arma/Missions folder

Put the addon 'Flags1.pbo' in your addons folder, or make a mod folder for it if preferred.

Run the mission smile_o.gif

Credits :

ColonelSandersLite Scripting assistance for various mission apps, framework design of the barrage system

Special Ed most of everything under the sun in the mission apart from the above

Full credit goes to every author (many of them) for these amazing addons used I know these guys have worked very hard on.

Important Notes :

If lag is experienced during mission start, wait for up to 30 seconds or so. TownHide scripts shortly after mission start begin to systematically hide units that are in towns other than Modesta and Obregan.

In order to secure Obregan, all enemy forces must be eliminated within the town walls. This is a bit strict, at the moment this is how the scripts run the mission. Further changes may be made later in the main project itself.

The music in game can be turned on or off - it comes on at a few points during the mission. Once it is shut off, it takes some time, up to 2 minutes for the 'On' switch to return, due to a very long loop the scripts run on to continuously play the music.

Do not delay getting to the desired counter strike point, because the longer one waits, the less time there will be to set up and scout. Be sure to use the truck to get there.

A short delay may be experienced once the battle is won in the field before declaration is made of such, due to script checks. The battle in the field will only be won once the battle area is clear of enemies and secured.

It is possible for the player to take any town on the map himself, but this cannot be done in a town that is currently involved in a clan war, that is until the war is over. In this mission, if the main objective is failed (which can only happen if all freindly forces are dead, or enemy takes the friendly town), then the player has the chance to still try to take the enemy town alone, if desired. To take a town, the player must first clear it out of all enemies, and then move to the flag pole in the center of town and hold there for up to 60 seconds or so, and the town will be declared held by the player clan (Rohan).

The Merchant City (Corazol) (which is not yet completed in appearance/proper population) has a radio station, which receives information about clan wars when they occur, and will broadcast openly such events. Player will see shortly a global declaration made from the radio station indicating the clan war between Vallon and Ogokk clans.

Lastly :

This is the first true release based on the current work in progress mission Kolgujev Conflict/Arma, this is still a Demo mission even tho as a separate entity, this mission is complete in itself. The full project (Kolgujev Conflict Arma) still has a long ways to go. The Demo mission (The Beginning) runs off of the same scripts that the main project uses, as well as the same editor pathing, etc. The main project actually supports up to almost 30 town battles similar to this one, although some of those battles are actually larger than this one. Work has been progressing on completion of town populations in both defensive troops and objects. I hope this mission is enjoyed, and maybe gives an idea of the scope and scale of the main project itself as it moves ever so slowly forward.

Wow!  Looking like the mother of all missions... and this is just the demo! wow_o.gif

Reading though the History is really setting the tone for something I'm going to like.

Can't wait to get a chance to fire it up and have a look. smile_o.gif

i tried to get it to work. it crashed soon after the mission start.

probably this is related

Quote[/b] ]Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Armed_Civilian2'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Armed_Civilian3'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Armed_Civilian4'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Armed_Civilian5'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Armed_Civilian6'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Armed_Civilian7'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.BlackOp_Merc'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Mercenary_D5'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Mercenary_Female'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Mercenary_Female_WDL'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Mercenary_Gunner_WDL'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Mercenary_Medic_WDL'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Mercenary_Sniper_WDL'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Mercenary_Soldier_A_D'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Mercenary_Soldier_D1'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Mercenary_Soldier_D4'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Mercenary_Soldier_SD_WDL'.

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Mercenary_Soldier_WDL'.

Any idea?

IMHO you should make (any) the mission addon less besides QG.

Everything other addon can be easily integrated via some replacement config.

i tried to get it to work. it crashed soon after the mission start.

probably this is related

Quote[/b] ]Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles.Armed_Civilian2'...

Any idea?

IMHO you should make (any) the mission addon less besides QG.

Everything other addon can be easily integrated via some replacement config.

Edit/

Issue is Bb_mercenaries not installed

Quote[/b] ]acusf.pbo

bb_civilians.pbo

FLAGS.pbo

freedom_fighters.pbo

freedom_objects.pbo

new_order.pbo

nwd_scopefix.pbo

sf_scar.pbo

Tanya.pbo

These are all addons I downloaded. Are these all?

One thing is missing for sure.

You have Bb_Civilians installed only, which is not needed. Need to have the full mercenary pack -

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=addons&id=525

In fact that is the entire problem - the armed civilians are in that pack as well. The same full pack is referenced by link in the main topic post, but links to the Bis forum topic, which has multiple download links.

Should be good to go.

Edit/

Downloaded and tested the new version of BB_Mercenaries in the mission release version, works fine, no issues.

ok. done. will test tomorrow evening

however its 500 MB download for one mission and quite a hassle.

i guess not many ppl will do that. i still say via replacements

it could be done as well.

or you setup an yomatools server wink_o.gif

ok. done. will test tomorrow evening

however its 500 MB download for one mission and quite a hassle.

i guess not many ppl will do that. i still say via replacements

it could be done as well.

or you setup an yomatools server wink_o.gif

I hear ya smile_o.gif

To be honest, aint seen nothin yet tounge2.gif

I expect, if by some crazy chance some day the main full project platform is finished, there will be huge amount of addons required - but the goal visually speaking is to transform the environment into a post apocalypse look - theres just no way it feels right with standard units in Arma. Although the goal has always been gameplay first through mission quality, the addon thing was planned long ago, because I seem to have no other choice if it all is going to come together right.

The 3DE addon requirement turned out to be a bit of a bummer to need, seems there is one .Sqf script in there that objects use for pitch/bank that are placed via 3DE - and mapFact denied me when I asked if I could package that script along with the mission sad_o.gif - hence, the entire 3DE is required for one embedded .Sqf in there.. hands tied on that one.

I know its alot of addons, know that again, the focus of the mission is playability, but it is an 'empty' feeling without them as well.

Your mission is great, and the fact that it's only a demo is amazing.

And I'm glad to see a SP mission in this sea of MP missions that have been released.

Your mission is great, and the fact that it's only a demo is amazing.

And I'm glad to see a SP mission in this sea of MP missions that have been released.

Thanks liljb15

Glad to hear positive feedback. Town hide scripts make really anything possible, apart from group limits in Arma tounge2.gif Really tho, the entire map of towns could each be populated the size of Obregan in the mission, and get no lag, apart from minute lag from added structures.

Somehow you should consider to make difference between "required addons" and "optional/recommended addons". For one demo mission its imho too much to force people download ~1GB.

Next thing is that you forgot to describe the scenario with an real good Intro. Imho in SP its important to have a good storyline to get the player into mission, create interesting/exciting atmosphere...

Sadly this demo turns more into capture town mission. Those new, rebuilded and walled towns look nice. Imho it would be better if the player must go into these towns eg. to steal some informations, silent kill or placing explosives. wink_o.gif

is Tanja now correct ? because when i downloaded tanja a few months agoy and try her in the editor she had an man face with a beard crazy_o.gif

Sadly this demo turns more into capture town mission. Those new, rebuilded and walled towns look nice. Imho it would be better if the player must go into these towns eg. to steal some informations, silent kill or placing explosives.  wink_o.gif

That's because it is a captured town mission. This isn't a generic special forces mission, it's showing us what his real mission will be capable of. This mission will consist of multiple clans declaring war on each other and dynamically fighting for territory, and this demo is showing us how one of those battles will work.

Somehow you should consider to make difference between "required addons" and "optional/recommended addons". For one demo mission its imho too much to force people download ~1GB.

Next thing is that you forgot to describe the scenario with an real good Intro. Imho in SP its important to have a good storyline to get the player into mission, create interesting/exciting atmosphere...

Sadly this demo turns more into capture town mission. Those new, rebuilded and walled towns look nice. Imho it would be better if the player must go into these towns eg. to steal some informations, silent kill or placing explosives. wink_o.gif

Havent counted the total download cost, but I know its no wheres near 1 Gig, but yes, it is alot.

It is indeed a demo mission, which shows a town battle amongst near 30 or so possible in the mission main project. I went to great lengths to make a unique scenario of this battle as well, with the mercenaries assisting, and the added objective for the player to 'counter strike' against the enemy in the field. Music added, and some other smaller stuff. There is no intro cam sequence, but there is full information in the briefing regarding the mission itself.

The mission is far more than a capture the town mission, Imo, there is a battle to be won in the field, and then to attempt to smash through the enemy defenses, and then yes, finally, secure the town (or capture).

I appreciate the input, but I do not force anyone to download anything. If one is interested in trying this, yes the addons are required, if not, then not smile_o.gif

Edit/

Just did a rough estimate, total addons in their .rar form equals around 400 mb.