Sign in to follow this  
guynumber7

ArmA is too hard

Is the AI SUPPOSTED to be able to kill me from 500 yards away in the dark with an AK-74?

ITS IMPOSSIBLE to do anything without getting shot in the head.

The AI is way too accurate, but there's a few ways to fix that. There's a couple mods or you can go into your documents, go to your profile and change the accuracy manually.

Also there will be about 10 hardcore Arma fans coming soon to say "you're playing the game wrong use cover and stop being a noob".

Also there will be about 10 hardcore Arma fans coming soon to say "you're playing the game wrong use cover and stop being a noob".

yep.....

i did lower the skill. whatver im too used to cod4 but i like CWC style warfare.

whatver im too used to cod4 but i like CWC style warfare.

That's the problem wink_o.gif

Take things slow, don't rush into a firefight. It takes a while to get used to the game since it's so different to other games. Cover and planning is important here.

You can get some useful advice from the "hardcore Arma fans", as liljb15 calls them icon_rolleyes.gif

AI can be annoying at times, it's not perfect but does things you wont see in other games smile_o.gif

Everyone always says that the AI is too accurate, but the AI misses me more than they hit me. The trick is not to get in a position where they can take repeated shots at you... and if bullets start flying your way, whatever you were doing before that, you're now finished, and it's time to get on with something else.

Everyone always says that the AI is too accurate, but the AI misses me more than they hit me.  The trick is not to get in a position where they can take repeated shots at you... and if bullets start flying your way, whatever you were doing before that, you're now finished, and it's time to get on with something else.

I agree. I'm much more accurate then the AI. Plus, I don't think the AI will engage you at a distance of 500 yards unless you have the TrueRangeAI mod.

change AI precision in file "my documents\arma\arma.cfg"

there you have lines:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">precisionFriendly = ...

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">precisionEnemy = ... (in regular(cadet) and veteran classes)

range is 0.0 to 1.0 (1.0 is the best precision)

change those values to lower - then AI will be miss

Quote[/b] ]whatver im too used to cod4

This is the wrong attuide to be have when comming to this game bud, as ArmA is completly different like others have said already its all about planning, planning your approach and inspecting the area around (deciding if its wise to engage the enermy or not)

You have also to think about whats best to do in firefights relating to cover and your movements and how many shots you should fire before moving or hiding again, im not going to go into everthing as theres simply too much to type about it smile_o.gif

Basicly theres only 2 options for you

1. Keep practising

2. Go back to COD4 if your unable to adapt to more serious shooters

You're playing the game wrong use cover and stop being a noob

I kid

But really, arma is hard - compared to other shooters. No doubt about it. If you wish to stay alive, you're forced to scan every pixel while glued to the screen.

I constantly move closer to my screen to spot potential targets. Can really strain those neck muscles some times. And the harder the mission the more straining.

Other shooters are best played with one eye open and one hand in your pants...

But really, arma is hard - compared to other shooters. No doubt about it. If you wish to stay alive, you're forced to scan every pixel while glued to the screen.

I constantly move closer to my screen to spot potential targets. Can really strain those neck muscles some times. And the harder the mission the more straining.

Other shooters are best played with one eye open and one hand in your pants...

LOL rofl.gif

Yes, youre right but.

ArmA is not an alternative to all the other more well known shooters.

Its says its much closer to a "Battlefield Simulation" for a reason.

example, have a look at some Youtube or other internet video of the boys running around in Iraq ...... you'll see the same sort of tactics needed to say alive biggrin_o.gif

i did lower the skill. whatver im too used to cod4 but i like CWC style warfare.

rofl.gif

Won't work here dude, you should set the difficulty to cadet so you can see the bad guys on the map and also use the terrain to help you sneak up on them.

You COd4 guys are forgetting the main aspect of this game, armed assault is a SIMULATION!! COD4 is intentionally designed for arcade style use, like battlefield 2..

COD4 was dumbed down for console player reasons.. Where as armed assault was a more PC based game that teaches you to be tactical...

IF you get shot 500 or 100 m's away. your clearly not using correct use of cover and tactics.. Now get back in there soldier pistols.gif

Quote[/b] ]You COd4 guys are forgetting the main aspect of this game, armed assault is a SIMULATION!! COD4 is intentionally designed for arcade style use, like battlefield 2..

COD4 was dumbed down for console player reasons.. Where as armed assault was a more PC based game that teaches you to be tactical...

IF you get shot 500 or 100 m's away. your clearly not using correct use of cover and tactics.. Now get back in there soldier

That was fast biggrin_o.gif

I sometimes play COD4 just to give my neck a rest.

cjph

smile_o.gif

the big difference between run and gun COD4 ( best online FPS,multishooter since Q3/UT) is one shot will almost AWAYS kill you in ARMA where it takes 10 or more shots in COBF#ect games.

And the size of the map/island is bigger than all of the COD4 maps + BF2 maps combined. So there are 500m shots or longer. Way longer even.

I think the very minimum the AI should be set too is Vet in vanilla ARMA1.14, and then they are still too easy. You need real AI mod/scripts or the game will be boring. Stick with it, learn to stay alive, and you will find its not really that hard. Its a clunky game, but real life is clunky.

No game is too hard until you get used to it!

This is the truest statement in the thread. ... well, if you substitute 'no' with 'every'.... or... 'until' with 'if'...

The ai in this game is not overpowered at all.

But you have to adapt to the speed of the action and the game.

It takes a complete different strategy.

Learn to stay alive first, just like in real life wink_o.gif

one thing you might also try is being the opfor, with an ak74. you will realize that the 74's accuracy is not much different from the m4.

i also "suck" at this game, and i have 700 hours in it! save often!!!

(not completely suck...) and sometimes i save every minute!!!

pistols.gif

and if you get shot too many times, use tanks or something, depending on the mission.

and i agree with you, that sometimes the missions can be hard, but that is what makes it fun

(if im not cursing at the computer late at night im not having fun.)  biggrin_o.gif

Important factor to remember is that multiplayer has the potential of respawn, singleplayer doesn't. SP does have savegame, but being forced to save and load all the time is a bit of a bore. I for one was definitely saving left and right in the campaigns, and that's somewhat detrimental to games.

You can make the AI worse but you can't really account for the lucky headshot unless you make the AI miss the first few shots, Every time. Not sure many would be happy with that.

You can make weapons in-accurate or unrealistic in other ways, but that would probably frustrate people a lot.

I think what most people really want is cover; landscape bumps, bulges, grooves, rocks, whatever and also man-made stuff like solid fences and such. But it has a way with adding a lot of polygons and maybe computers can't really handle it.

I do think BIS concentrates all the man-made stuff in a bit too small clusters though. Would be nice if some of the crop-lots were fenced up a bit more - with plenty of holes you can walk through dammit! wink_o.gif

You know, it is supposed to be hard, that is what makes it fun.

The feeling you can die the minute you stick you head around the corner is exciting.

Trying to get into the right position for 10 or 30 minutes with out beeing spotted gives me a rush.

Sometimes it goes wrong 10 times in a row, but the more satisfaction it gives after you find the right strategy to make it till the end and complete your mission.

There are plenty of games around where you will easy win everything there is, this seems satisfying but only lasts a very short time.

They mostly end up on the shelf catching dust with 2 months.

Games like arma make me want to try over and over again for years.

There are not many games around that give me this much bang for my buck.

pistols.gif

When i started in OPF it took me quite a while before i could engage the enemy without dying in the first minute.

After a while you can do kill death ratio's off 30 to 1 or more if you are in the right mood.

Even with ai enhancing mods.

I am not bragging here, i see many people do this on different servers.

We all started as noobs, so i am pretty sure you and others can get the swing of this soon enough.

It is funny how you learn to care about you toon in this game, make sure he stays well biggrin_o.gif