Sign in to follow this  
MehMan

World In Conflict

Well I searched and searched but found only a beta topic and another topic about the map making contest, a topic for the game itself, nope.

I've just played through it and I have to say it's one of the few games that have been released in recent times that I actually liked. The gameplay and scale could do with a bit of refining, the infantry are far too small and much of the stuff seems to be made out of exploding toothpicks, but it's still fun. It's also one of the few games where I didn't cut the credits short.

All in all, the game is a bit too fast paced for me at first, but you get used to it, once you stop thinking of direct attack and you start looking for other ways of clearing things you see the rather clever map design on most maps. The game did leave me wondering why the flashback to France with easy levels, but oh well, it was fun to play with mini NATO units.

That's the other thing that bothers me, the scale. I don't mind large scale, but I do mind small scale. The tanks and infantry all appear so small and useless that it's a shame they put so much detail in them when you don't see it 3/4th of the game. The fast pace and small scale of the game could've been a bit refined, somewhere between what the game has right now and what Company Of Heroes has. The zoom level and feeling of scale that is.

Anybody else played this game?

Ah, WiC, it could have been so much. sad_o.gif

The camera is clunky as all hell, and the point system becomes a real pain unless playing MP. In fact, MP is probably the only strong point in the game, and that's only when you've got +2 people, otherwise the game invariably becomes heavy MBT spam.

Infantry basically become useless, with the exception of AT dudes, who I usually spam into forests almost immediately. Transports are... well, when it takes so long to get your units to disem-bloody-bark while under fire, the damn things are essentially useless.

The campaign was enjoyable, especially the cutscenes, but the gameplay wasn't really much of a challenge for me (and I always play games on the hardest available difficulty). It'd be better if tanks and APCs were about 2x as expensive, then people would consider using infantry a helluva lot more.

I bought it on Ebay, as something a bit more jump-in, have fun jump out, than knuckling down to an OFP mission or a IL-2 sortie.

I played the first two campaign missions and haven't touched it since.

For me it just seemed totally lacking in tactics, just a matter of being able to select units and tell them what to target, before they get blown up.

One thing in particular that keeps me from going back to it was that the player has to direct the Bradleys to fire their TOW missiles at tanks. I should be able to leave them in position and trust that when faced with a T-80, they'll have enough sense to fire a missile at it. banghead.gif

For a game that has enough graphical content to run rather slow on my machine with most of the details off, you sure don't spend a lot of time looking at it. confused_o.gif

Also, agree with everything said so far...anybody tried to mod this to be less banghead.gif yet?

I haven't tried any MP or skirmishes, but the campaign did a good job at keeping YOU out of MBT spam land, but it all depended on the mission. The ones where I had MBTs I took good care of them and never had them blown up. The enemy on the other hand was just MBT spam. The small tactics that this game could employ, can't be, due to the fast pace.

I only played the demo and it didn't convince me in any way to buy it. As someone stated before, it's only about moving units around, nothing tactical at all... The game was just boring.

Played Demo, bought the game, played cpl missions then shelved it. Aint touched it since. Kinda disappointed. Just did'nt grab me like Red Alert series did.

I liked it because of the "don't build your base" approach. It didnt bother me that it was lacking the side-hit-more-dammage-but-oblique-less-dammage aspect. I was nice because you could hop in, play for an hour an bail out again.

But i agree, the infantry was worthless. The normal infantry guys weren't strong enough to face light vehicles. As Cameron said the other stuff should have been more expensive or infantry cheaper or something to make playing infantry possible, because it wasnt unless the terrain was only woods and the enemy didnt have enough tac points to call down napalm on you every fucking single time you were in a good position again.

I bought it on Ebay, as something a bit more jump-in, have fun jump out, than knuckling down to an OFP mission or a IL-2 sortie.

I played the first two campaign missions and haven't touched it since.

For me it just seemed totally lacking in tactics, just a matter of being able to select units and tell them what to target, before they get blown up.

One thing in particular that keeps me from going back to it was that the player has to direct the Bradleys to fire their TOW missiles at tanks. I should be able to leave them in position and trust that when faced with a T-80, they'll have enough sense to fire a missile at it. banghead.gif

its called "micro" or micromanagement and its seen as a skill to be able to use hotkeys on the keyboard quickly to launch secondary abilities on units and such. Speaking from online rts players standpoint thugh wink_o.gif

Played it a year ago when i borrowed it from a classmate and I thought the campaigns where fun and challenging with the fast pace, but now after i player C&c red alert 3 that came out recently I think Wics pacing is decent cause red alert 3:s pacing is insane crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I dunno mbts are nice to have but i actually won 2/3 of the campaign missions with bradleys using their tows biggrin_o.gif

And bradleys using their cannons on infantery and light vehicles.

Pretty fun game but the MP is kind of like return to castle wolfenstein where you need class B when Class A is being attacked by the enemys Class D ect..

I missed base building and the base building, upgrading parts that are in classic rts games.

I thought SP had a good story but I found it hard to believe that if the US had all their divisions in Europe and only a few Battalions on the west coast, surely the Soviets (Who had a few armies) would be able to get tonnes of ground in 2 months, maybe to central America, than just the Rockies

In terms of gameplay, Tactical? there is a certain level of tactics in it as a MBT against a MBT takes a long time but a few AT squads against a MBT takes a matter of seconds, so you have to communicate with the other roles. But otherwise it is too fast paced to be realistic, although the Models, Explosions and Graphics are stunning, it still doesn't make up for the gameplay.

Glad its really finally cooming soon, WiC was a pretty nice game even if some found it too simple.

Will surely be nice playing it from the other side now, even though that should ahve been in the original game especialyl as we get no new units.

The end of WiC is among some of the nicest endings ive seen since a while, short, but when the music starts to play and the camera zooms out to show all the destruction around its pretty amazing, hopefully they have one of that kind here aswell.

Soviet Assault Trailer

Thats what I call a cutscene... biggrin_o.gif Amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq6PEBFTxrk

meh, i expected some kinda massive red square marching style invasion with tanks steamrolling non-stop breaking through the berlin wall with some symphony playing in the background, Kinda like a propaganda film. But its geared to the American Audience who don't enjoy this art form and like things blowing up non-stop and some red-neck guy screaming to his friend lol

I couldn't stand it. Throw units in, get exact same points back, throw units in.. repeat.

I didn't grow fond of such an approach.