Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

31st NORMANDY MOD - WW2  -BETA RELEASE

wil it be classic german bunkers in the mod??

I dunno, its possible...

casemate.jpg

r667wpak.jpg

wink_o.gif

the pointe du hoch bunkers looks like they were almost completely underground, remember that after hours of instant bombing things may have changed. would have been cool with more underground bunkers in the cliff models.

the static 38 cm guns is pretty cool too, visited one once and it was huge! but not shure if there was any in france

google sketchup is ideal for making bunkers

the pointe du hoch bunkers looks like they were almost completely underground, remember that after hours of instant bombing things may have changed. would have been cool with more underground bunkers in the cliff models.

the static 38 cm guns is pretty cool too, visited one once and it was huge! but not shure if there was any in france

google sketchup is ideal for making bunkers

The pointe du hoc bunkers were 5 Regelbau R272 style casemates. This design was a above ground design. Germans were known to use primarily camoflauge netting to conceal them. They also painted some of them to look like restaurants and Inns. It wasn't common at all to bury their R272 bunkers, especially at Pointe du Hoc, simply because none of the casemates there contained the real 155mm guns, instead they contained decoys. They were attempting to fool the Allies into targeting them instead of their real coastal guns hidden further inland- which they suceeded, obviously the huge amounts of bomb craters seen today in many photos. Most of the terrain surface on Pointe du hoc was displaced from its original condition from bombs resulting in what appears to be buried bunkers - But not intentionally. Some trenches were made underground at Pointe du Hoc. There is one observation point on the point of the bluff which partially underground connected to a trench.

I will not be making any more underground positions at Pointe du Hoc. I'm in the process of trying to create a uneven terrain, adding some ground clutter, adding many rocks. I think I will finally wrap up this model soon. I've uses many maps and photos for placement of the objects including the bomb craters.

pdh2x1.jpg

I don't use google sketchup as there are limitations when importing models to oxygen. Oxygen works great for me.

Looking great!

Now you have time for Avranches yay.gifwink_o.gif

Mmmm...how about copying/porting the Mission from CoD2? tounge2.gif

Ropes will be built into the cliff face. If you look either side of the bluff you will see grappling hooks with a rope to be attached soon. You will be able to climb the cliffs where ever the ropes are at. There will be several spots along the cliffs.

demo1.jpg

>It wasn't common at all to bury their R272 bunkers, especially at Pointe du Hoc, simply because none of the casemates there contained the real 155mm guns, instead they contained decoys.

I think you're wrong there...seems to be a bit of an urban myth grown up about it. I've read several sources that said that the guns had been removed from their emplacements, but the Rangers scouted inland a bit after securing the site, found them, and destroyed them.

Hmmm...Wikipedia says something similar, with the added twist that I don't think I've come across before that it was in fact known the guns had been moved but that only the officers were told.

Also came across this picture, which gives a great idea of what the bocage was like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki....Hoe.jpg

>It wasn't common at all to bury their R272 bunkers, especially at Pointe du Hoc, simply because none of the casemates there contained the real 155mm guns, instead they contained decoys.

I think you're wrong there...seems to be a bit of an urban myth grown up about it. I've read several sources that said that the guns had been removed from their emplacements, but the Rangers scouted inland a bit after securing the site, found them, and destroyed them.

Hmmm...Wikipedia says something similar, with the added twist that I don't think I've come across before that it was in fact known the guns had been moved but that only the officers were told.

Also came across this picture, which gives a great idea of what the bocage was like.

Thanks for supporting what I said. lol The picture shows how it was bombed. I've seen that picture 100 times.

UPDATE:

Here's a video clip of a Bouncing Betty mine Aqu is making:

Again, Work in progress. There are a few kinks to work out but very good Aqu! The current version differe in the way that the 1st stage charge makes bit lesss smoke and one mine going off don't set nearby mines off so easily.

Layout of the pointe du hoc.

This image shows the layout of pointe du hoc defenses.

with the positions of the gun "decoys" as well as AA,MG and trench systems.

as i recall the guns were located just off the road near the crossroads of vierville and grandcamp in an orchard.

the guns were too large for explosive deactivation so thermite exothermic grenades were used to fuse the elevation controls in place.

as i recall the guns were located just off the road near the crossroads of vierville and grandcamp in an orchard.

the guns were too large for explosive deactivation so thermite exothermic grenades were used to fuse the elevation controls in place.

I used that layout to make Pointe du Hoc down to the last hedgerow and piece of barbed wire.

I used that layout to make Pointe du Hoc down to the last hedgerow and piece of barbed wire.

ahh couldn't see the farmhouses or homesteads in the pic XD

Merry Christmas all!  Just wanted to give you a brief update on the current development of the mod in general.  I will be very vague and answer questions later about things as they are further developed.  I will also provide a few screenies...

Without further ado...

UPDATE:

-WIP continues with many things to talk about:

-Bomb load out for the Avro Lancaster begins work

-Several new aircraft in work

-Two versions of a P38 Lightning in work

-Curtiss P40 Warhawk in work

-P47 Thunderbolt in work

-F4U Corsair in work

-FW190 in work

-JU87 stuka in work

-Two versions of a Tiger 1 in work

-M10 Wolverine in work in work

-M1919A4 in work in work

-Sd Kfz 184 Ferdinand/Elephant in work

-Sd Kfz 250 Halftrack in work

-Sd Ah 116 Halttrack transporter in work

-Sd Kfz 10 Halftrack in work

-Sd Kfz9 Halftrack with 88 in work

-Firefly in work

-Sherman flame thrower

-Sd Kfz 251c Command Halftrack in work

-M3 Stuart in work

-Opel Blitz Fuel truck

-Stug III G

-Stug III H

-Panther Auf G.

-S-mine

-Bangalore torpedo

-Updated Vilas WW2 infantry which includes:

-New British paratroopers

-New infantry crew member including .30 cal machine gunner

-New weapon sounds from Hifi replacing most Vilas old sounds

-Tradtional grey suit Heer

-German tank crews

-German officers

-More medics

-Various built in editor predefined squads

-Flame thrower soldier

-Combat engineers/mine/sapper

-V1 rocket system in work

-Pointe du Hoc in work

-Major revamp of all WWII Landing beaches with proper bunkers, trenches and obstacles and modified terrain in work

-Major map rework...was 47 towns, upgrading to 255 towns.

-A destroyer is in work

-German U-Boat in work

-Tail gunner/turrets still in work for bombers

-New WW2 campaign mission

-Many new obstacles, bunkers, trenches, hegdehogs, hedgerows, trees, fields, mud & foilage in general in work

YES YOU GET ALL THIS AND A CUSTOM WW2 animation pack!

-Cliff/rope climbing

-Directional diving for cover/concealment

-Mine placement

-Bangalore torpedo placement

-Fence hoping/wall climbing

-Straffing/cover fire

Panther G:

pantherG.jpg

Stug IV

stug3h.jpg

One of the two new Tiger 1's:

tiger1x1x.jpg

New camo position:

sandbagemp.jpg

Stug 3G

Stug 3G thanks Aqu!

pzgrens1.jpg

Firefly!

firefly-1.jpg

251 HT

sdkfz251.jpg

The Elephant:

ferdkursk-1.jpg

HT 10

sdkfz10.jpg

sdkfz250.jpg

HT9 with 88

sdkfz988.jpg

Ah 116 HT

ah116.jpg

.30 cal

m1919a4.jpg

M10

M10wip.jpg

P38 2nd version

p38.jpg

P38 first version, thanks Aqu!

p38pic.jpg

P47:

p40.jpg

Curtiss P40

p47.jpg

F4U

f4u.jpg

FW190

fw190.jpg

Ju87 stuka!

ju87.jpg

Avro Lancaster bomb loadout, thanks Aqu

bombs.jpg

Of course, all work in progress. Subject to change, etc, etc.

Wow, that's alot of stuff. thumbs-up.gif

Just one question, will the JU87 have the sound of the trumphets of jericho?

Wow, that's alot of stuff. thumbs-up.gif

Just one question, will the JU87 have the sound of the trumphets of jericho?

heh haven't heard that phrase in while when refering to a stuka sire, but sure, I can put one in there.

That would be thrilling hearing that thing coming.

I'm lovin' the beta man, I can tell a LOT of effort was put into the units.

I had a question though: are you still planning on releasing the grey Wehrmacht troops? Because I have a personal preference to the grey uniforms.

Thanks for all the hard work, I'm looking forward to a few Point Du Hoc missions.

I'm lovin' the beta man, I can tell a LOT of effort was put into the units.

I had a question though: are you still planning on releasing the grey Wehrmacht troops? Because I have a personal preference to the grey uniforms.

Thanks for all the hard work, I'm looking forward to a few Point Du Hoc missions.

Yes

Hi, first of all, awsome work so far. You are all doing a great job.

I have an Evolution map in the works that will be finished once the halftracks are available.

Looking forward to the next release.

Nobody noticed the corsair or warhawk lol. Hmmmm wonder why those are being dev'd? One will just have to keep on wondering.