Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

31st NORMANDY MOD - WW2  -BETA RELEASE

Whoops ! I must tell there is something wrong with railways tracks out of station.

The tracks must lay on a level or near level ground, they can't climb on hill like shown on the pic. That the reason why they are all those bridges, tunnels, cuttings and embankments along railways lines. Only a high speed train can climb up hill like a car.

I believe it's a much more important matter than telegraph poles here  smile_o.gif

Please add cuttings and embankments along the  Caen-Cherbourg line.

Yeah. I think you are correct in that the train must have speed to climb hills. If they have speed they don't stop easily.

The request for cuttings and embankments is a bit tedious. The rails are pulled like roads in Visitor. Those requests would force to edit the landscape. Although they would be nice as well as tunnels. I was considering making tunnels, but my maps do not show so many tunnels (prolly inaccurate maps).

Another cat soon to be in game.

I have started to "convert" my ofp addons to Arma.

It is an almost total rebuild to lower the texture count and to add the uv maps.

This is to be the first one.

( changed the track texture as the first pic eneded up with the wrong one, sorry jojimbo)

woohoo T_ROC is back (i know, i know you don´t stoped your work but now you make your tanks for ArmA). can´t w8 to play all your baby´s in ArmA. ROC you know i love your work and it´s unbelievably you work together with the Normandy Mod and the result will be a great Mod. I look forward to the Mod.

Greetings

Garmin

Yep T_roc, ah well at least you've notified I44 of the intended change of textures - it was a bit clumsy of you to post work using other mod textures though!!

Tsk tsk you should know better than that from your Ofp modding days hehe.

I44 or any mod is entirely in their rights to defend their intellectual property. It's all very well for a populist to say 'anyone can use my stuff' when its everyone elses stuff wink_o.gif But any individual artist has the right to keep their work exclusive to their mod or even themselves - its always been like that.

The onus of responsibility is on the addon maker to prove he has not used another persons work if accused of it - not to sit back and go meh... We know this from the disclaimer the editing tools and BIS have posted even here about creative property.

With your scrambling of various addons Rip, its your responsibility to make sure that all contributions made, are actually not violating anyones intellectual property...

While this is a game, intellectual property is exactly that...

@Aqu : I believe there are no tunnel along that line but cuttings and embankments are a real improvement in the landscape.

Remember that sometimes railways embankments were the only places allowing to move in flooded areas.

Some "vertices" and "smooth roads" can help wink_o.gif

great work Aqu and T-roc its nice to see how far we are all getting with this mod...

@YacieK

thanks your models are really good as I said I'm aiming at a slightly different look but the equipment should ofcourse be at the same places and you pictures will help me out a lot and I hope you can help me a little should I get stuck with some of it. Having seen what I was able to do with the 29th infantry, I'm actually a little surprised there, there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to make some really good looking airborne units aswell.

I'll just updater the 2nd infantry and 2nd rangers first since its pretty much copy paste work all of it and then I'll get arround to the airborne they will need a couple of new models.

btw could I perhaps see a picture of you helmet camo from o2 or something they look a lot better than mine and I need to improve them but I don't know how really.

Regarding the observation bunker, there are a few parts of it which are not correct. I do not mean it as a criticism as I would love to have enough skill to create a model this good or well enough to acurately represent my obsession with concreate. Here are some of the photos I took on my last visit to this particular bunker

Longues-Sur-Mer Photos

I have plenty more photos/info on bunkers if you need any assistance.

I know it's impossible/inpracticle to do 100% acurate models but in short the struts holding up the roof on the upper observation area are too tall. The lower observation slit is not held up with metal struts and is much much narrorer so as to make it virtually impossible to fire into. The inside of the bunker would have been white washed and you would see the bottom edge of the steal beans that support the weight of the roof. The outside would also have earth pushed up against it to disguise the shape of the bunker and cammo nets attached to the bunker and pulled out over any trench or route to the entrance.

Regarding the observation bunker, there are a few parts of it which are not correct.  I do not mean it as a criticism as I would love to have enough skill to create a model this good or well enough to acurately represent my obsession with concreate.  Here are some of the photos I took on my last visit to this particular bunker

Longues-Sur-Mer Photos

I have plenty more photos/info on bunkers if you need any assistance.

I know it's impossible/inpracticle to do 100% acurate models but in short the struts holding up the roof on the upper observation area are too tall.  The lower observation slit is not held up with metal struts and is much much narrorer so as to make it virtually impossible to fire into.  The inside of the bunker would have been white washed and you would see the bottom edge of the steal beans that support the weight of the roof.  The outside would also have earth pushed up against it to disguise the shape of the bunker and cammo nets attached to the bunker and pulled out over any trench or route to the entrance.

Thanks for the comments. Your photos are really good. I had only basic measurements and even the photos were not too accurate so the size of the details were done bit on the hunch. Sometimes I had to adjust the model to match the Arma human shape size. I would be interested to see more photos. Especially if they could give a clear idea of the floor plan. Now it uses the standard floor plan (minus the MG room which was not built into this) in that type of a bunker.

The trouble with the m262 is that they were pretty commonly built slightly differently.

The best info I can find to help quickly in this forum link http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop....1282549

Which includes this plan M262a plan

All the topology books I have list only the original M262 type, so this is probably as good as you'll find quickly but it should have enough measurments to help.

Let me know if you need anymore info as most of the internal look of the bunker (if you are doing it) will be the same as most bunkers generally and I have loads of pictures of all sorts of things

It's all very well for a populist to say 'anyone can use my stuff' when its everyone elses stuff wink_o.gif But any individual artist has the right to keep their work exclusive to their mod or even themselves - its always been like that.  

Everyone has the right and undertands they can keep their work HOWEVER they wish ( whether exclusive, top secret, public, free license, or what not ).  You are correct in this giving of such a broad general, very well known fact.  While you're generalizing that most of the material from this mod is from other mod makers, you sir, are incorrect.  Nearly most of the vehicles and the entire map(which btw is the core component of the mod) was authored by yours truley.

That said...

Various people contributed to this mod as a community effort, which is great!  In the long run it saves me time and effort creating various aspects of the mod myself.  It brings the community together that are interested in a common goal (WW2).  It brings to the light of day many things that would otherwise sit and collect dust or be deleted from someone's hard disk.  It gives recognition to people for their hard work and time (time being a huge factor).  The authors of the original work(s) have expressed and knew fully well their work would be modified and distributed with a free license to do as people wish with the content.  Otherwise, they can choose to keep their content and distribute it as they wish.

Which brings me to say...

Again, it is remarkably saddening, that people, in this day and age can't share something as simple as a video game.  REALLY! Anyone that argues the validity of this statement should first check BIS licensing agreement.  We all know nobody can profit from it, and secondly the tools were created so people could share.  So why not share with the community?  If someone wants credit for his/hers textures, put your sig or trademark/copyright on it.  For this mod, we include credits to the original authors.  What other form of respect do they need?  They didn't express to me they wanted a blue ribbon, gold medal or trophy.  If they elected to distribute the work themselves, that's their perogative.  It's really here nor there.  It ends up in the same place - on someones hard disk.

And I do have to tell you that I am not a investigator.  I don't get paid to do so.  If someone brings me a model.  I take their word for it, that it is their original work.  It's the first question I ask.  It's their responsibility to provide work that is legitimately theirs or obtain persmission from the original author before bringing it for my review.  I post images of their work( which is VERY obvious - IF you haven't noticed that already, heh, I'm sorry lol).  So that if someone does has a claim, then the item is removed until authenticity is verified.  At that point the item is totally removed, or added depending upon the results.  It is not my responsibility to check what people post and police in this thread.  If they give me something to post, then that's what I do.  However, I do try my best to assure that only original content is released with this mod.  Those releases are few and far between so it gives us a really good chance that items that aren't supposed to be distributed don't.  The last release was quite some time ago. The next one is in May.

All in all we can sit here and argue all day until were blue in the face about a texture.  IF it doesn't belong, then it's removed.  In the end, all these authors all know how much I appreciate their fine efforts for contributing to the mod.  And those that contribute also know...well...it's just a game.  And that is a fact, you cannot deny.  Can't blame me for wanting to share something with you that MIGHT be fun.

Old Bear - I totally agree with you.  The tracks should lay flat.  I know they go up a hill that trains shouldn't climb.  All i can say is "map limitations". I found those postcards on various sites too.

Bazooka - I can't tell you how many times I've seen those images.  Ahh yes, brings back fond memories of endless nights searching the internet for information on bunkers.

Sorry Jojimbo the pic ended up with the wrong tracktexture I used thiswhen testing in ofp and forgot to change it.

My fault sorry!

LOL...

...interesting! rofl.gif

"testing" goodnight.gif

Here's some more WIP pics of some different areas:

tilly2.jpg

tilly3.jpg

grainville.jpg

find.jpg

Great look!!!  wink_o.gif

Thanks Rip31st!!!

Yeah it will be fun to see some action on it...36 more days! Unless there are some hitches. tounge2.gif

Awesome screenshots Rip31st!

Cant wait !

somebody make Timemachine for me! rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]

You mean another release after 36 days??

Heres answer and its yes:

Quote[/b] ]Yeah it will be fun to see some action on it...36 more days!

A couple of screens of the latest work, still needs some work on the uniform but well on the way

101stnew3.jpg

101stnew1.jpg

medicx.jpg

Very nice!!! "Band of Brothers", great source for reference. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Very nice!!! "Band of Brothers", great source for reference

Although "BoB" is a very good movie,It is a lot of errors on the equipment. In Normandy paratroopers use the M42 jump suite, not M43/44 smile_o.gif

Models of good, but there is no normalmap and the ammopouches size should be corrected.Correction of this raise their quality But as you can see the work going in the right direction, keep it up - regards

woops thanks for notecing YacieK the ammo pouch on the first picture is the Bar ammo pouch with the carbine pouch texture, not sure how that happened but ofcourse that will be fixed... they do have a normal map its just way too smooth for the airborne but Rip suggested another program to make a new one that should be better it will be fixed too...

Here's some more screenies:

Night:

moon.jpg

Day, same general area:

Capture.jpg

Carpiquet AF:

capriquetAF.jpg

Area around Carpiquet AF:

capreiquetAF2.jpg

Really nice screens Rip31st!  smile_o.gif

The island looks better and better.

Good job Troc! Can't wait to get it.