Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

31st NORMANDY MOD - WW2  -BETA RELEASE

Naturalily I ment that the shorter wall section is copied to get longer walls. The longer wall section is just that it creates too long hole. Yes about 2m section would be ideal, but because of the huge number of object it creates I think around 5m would be a fair compromise.

Some objects (like houses) are not subject to gravity. I think (not tested) this is also for plants. So if you destroy a wall below them, the plants remain hovering in the air. This was the problem in the other version I suggested first (the version where just add the plants on top in the visitor). Even if you could destroy the plants (they don't just fall over) there is a risk that they remain floating when the wall is destroyed. I'm a coder and I have problems accepting a system which works 99% of time when I now that the 1% will happen eventually.

About the wall section...It is c 5m long at the top and 7m at the bottom (ground level) (trapezoid is the proper english word?). So if you place them 5m apart partially overlapping each other, and one section get destroyed a flipped trapezoid shape hole is created 3m wide at the ground and 5m wide at the top. About width of a tank. The trapezoid shape makes it also suitable for end of the wall use.

@rip

The vid looks great. I suppose you took the terrain texture from the modern aerial photos. The trails which are there today might not represent the actual trails in 1944.

About the shell holes...What if you create some big holes, but cover them with similar shaped 'plugs' which are about as strong as a big house. So if you bombard the cliff top for a while the plugs get destroyed one at the time and the holes become visible. Just a thought...could be nice to test and now you have a chance make deep craters.

Wow, that's pretty impresive.

It's not for giving you any preasure, but you have being doing Pointe du Hoc for what? 2-3 weeks? At this rate in mid 2009 you will have hell of an map, with lot's of details.

Yeah, keep with it. A WWII Normandy terrain would be epic. It would be nice to see you get quick help with answers and custom building models, of course.

Of course, much of the buildings in ArmA already could pull off the architecture.

Aqu - Good idea. I would have to redo the surface to make it work as I don't have bomb craters modeled into the terrain. I did use a google earth image to texture the surface so modern paths are part of it for the time being. It needs a lot of work. Apparently ArmA doesn't support large area geometry & Roadway LOD's as you can fall through the surface after traveling away from the center of the model. Not sure how far that is. Hopefully someone knows or I can find out. I could probably put some invisible supporting models in place where the geo & roadway LOD's run out. I might just have to chop the model up into smaller pieces and connect them all together.

Benoist - These things take time. ArmAII will be out in 09'. Maybe that will tide you over until we get the map done. wink_o.gif

ArmA addons will be fully compatible with ArmA 2, but I doubt that you were speaking about that issue. You could get bored, full time job/studies, etc.

Would be a shame, though.

ArmA addons will be fully compatible with ArmA 2, but I doubt that you were speaking about that issue. You could get bored, full time job/studies, etc.

Would be a shame, though.

lol

full time job/studies, etc.

Double LOL rofl.gifrofl.gif

hopefully things will clear up my side and i can get on with stuff in the near future.

pershing is still top of the list.

WIBNI you could model grapnels and rope ascents for

that "Pointe du Hoc" map? That particular operation is

famous for the sheer balls the US Army Rangers had for

climbing up that cliff (all that British commando training

must have rubbed off on them).

would there be anything wrong with making some moduler cliff models to fit onto the sheer cliffs on the point du hoc terrain mesh?, just to to get rid of some of that vertical stretching and make it a bit easier on the eye, no offence, its great that you're making this, should be alot of fun.

would there be anything wrong with making some moduler cliff models to fit onto the sheer cliffs on the point du hoc terrain mesh?, just to to get rid of some of that vertical stretching and make it a bit easier on the eye, no offence, its great that you're making this, should be alot of fun.

What you see in the video is a prototype - 1 model about 680 meters long and about 400m wide.  Since then it's been split into several smaller pieces to fit together like a puzzle.  Arma's game engine limits its geometrical support to around 60 meters.  The video was just an example of what I am working on.  

Each piece will have its own details.  The trick will be texturing it andmaking it match up properly with the other pieces.  The terrain coloring around it needs to be adjusted to match it or make it blend in.

Eventually it will have trenches, barbed wire, bunkers, machine gun nests, ropes to climb the bluffs, bomb craters, rolling terrain, mortar pits, gun emplacements and foilage.

It should provide some interesting gameplay when it's complete.  

I'm right in the middle of chopping it all up into pieces.

biggrin_o.gif

UPDATE: My good friend stubblehopper over on the Armaholic forums has put out a updated vilas WW2 pack. I will be adding it to the mod for the next update along with the previously discussed Wermacht uniforms. There might possibly be more infantry added to the update in addition to whats planned.

There might possibly be more infantry added to the update in addition to whats planned.

Can I make a wish? wink_o.gif

Marines and Japanese troops!

Quote[/b] ]

banghead.gif [sarcazm] Of course, they also fought in Normandy ...[/sarcazm]

There might possibly be more infantry added to the update in addition to whats planned.

Can I make a wish? wink_o.gif

What do you think this is? COD:WaW or something? lol.

If you wait long enough you will get a nice Pacific theater. It's 3rd on the list. Battle of the Buldge is after this one is complete.

The more ideas I get in the form of emails and PM's only prolongs the wait. wink_o.gif

Someone mentions Pointe du Hoc to me and now look at what happens. You're getting PDH & the entire Normandy beach front reworked.

xmas_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

banghead.gif [sarcazm] Of course, they also fought in Normandy ...[/sarcazm]

As much as poles or russians..  wink_o.gif

Yeah yeah, I know. It was aimed more towards the updated Vilas units I guess.

If you wait long enough you will get a nice Pacific theater.  It's 3rd on the list.  Battle of the Buldge is after this one is complete.

The reason for asking, in fact, is that I'm working on Pacific maps/islands myself and right now the islands feel rather empty without any units..

What you see in the video is a prototype - 1 model about 680 meters long and about 400m wide.  Since then it's been split into several smaller pieces to fit together like a puzzle.  Arma's game engine limits its geometrical support to around 60 meters.  The video was just an example of what I am working on.  

Each piece will have its own details.  The trick will be texturing it andmaking it match up properly with the other pieces.  The terrain coloring around it needs to be adjusted to match it or make it blend in.

Eventually it will have trenches, barbed wire, bunkers, machine gun nests, ropes to climb the bluffs, bomb craters, rolling terrain, mortar pits, gun emplacements and foilage.

biggrin_o.gif

UPDATE:  My good friend stubblehopper over on the Armaholic forums has put out a updated vilas WW2 pack.  I will be adding it to the mod for the next update along with the previously discussed Wermacht uniforms.  There might possibly be more infantry added to the update in addition to whats planned.

ah ok, I see, I thought it was part of the terrain heightmap. How will you going about snapping the peices together in visitor?, is there an actual snapping function in visitor? or do you just have to type the coordinates of each of the peices origin individually?

biggrin_o.gif

UPDATE:  My good friend stubblehopper over on the Armaholic forums has put out a updated vilas WW2 pack.  I will be adding it to the mod for the next update along with the previously discussed Wermacht uniforms.  There might possibly be more infantry added to the update in addition to whats planned.

ah ok, I see, I thought it was part of the terrain heightmap. How will you going about snapping the peices together in visitor?, is there an actual snapping function in visitor? or do you just have to type the coordinates of each of the peices origin individually?

No there is a script that corrects the pieces after they are placed in visitor. You have to manually line them up on the horizontal axis and the script places them evenly on the vertical axis.

MK1- Lets see some screenshots. I'm interested. tounge2.gif

MK1-  Lets see some screenshots.  I'm interested.  tounge2.gif

Yeah, yeah.. Once I get there. banghead.gif

Well,

as MK1 is working on pacific maps i´m trying to bring forward my Omaha Beach map which i will be contributing when its finished. In the last few days i tried to play around in Oxygen to build some more beach obstacles. As i am an absolut newbie i modified the original Bis Barbwire to have just the "Tschechenigel" without the modern Barbwire. This kind of obstacle was to be widely used on the Atlantikwall. Also the Drachenzähne and the Rommelspargel wich you can fin on the pictures.

Just to give you a little teaser... some screens.

om_b4.jpg

om_b4f.jpg

om_b4g.jpg

omaha_b4c.jpg

omaha_b4e.jpg

omaha_b4d.jpg

Awesome work there Beton! Let me know when it's done, we can hook up and I will put it in the mod pack.

Hi Rip,

theres still much work to do (miles of Hedgerows to place, more groundtextures, Vilages etc.). All in all much more work than i thought at the beginning. ;-)

On the other hand im playing around in Oxygen atm. Ive modified the geometry mass of the Hemmbalken. Now you can hardly overrun it with a tank and not overrun it with a car or truck. On the other hand you can destroy them with explosives ( a Job for pioneers). Same with the barbwire...i think this would be cool for the gameplay if you would need explosives to get rid of obstacles before you can pass with vehicles and troops.

I have encountert a problem with the oia_objects... the bunkers are destroyed with a single round from a tank.. maybe it would be cool if the bunkers could not be destroyed at all.

more screens if you want

so long smile_o.gif

Hi Rip,

theres still much work to do (miles of Hedgerows to place, more groundtextures, Vilages etc.). All in all much more work than i thought at the beginning. ;-)

On the other hand im playing around in Oxygen atm. Ive modified the geometry mass of the Hemmbalken. Now you can hardly overrun it with a tank and not overrun it with a car or truck. On the other hand you can destroy them with explosives ( a Job for pioneers). Same with the barbwire...i think this would be cool for the gameplay if you would need explosives to get rid of obstacles before you can pass with vehicles and troops.

I have encountert a problem with the oia_objects... the bunkers are destroyed with a single round from a tank.. maybe it would be cool if the bunkers could not be destroyed at all.

more screens if you want

so long smile_o.gif

It looks really good so far! I like it a lot. The bunkers need to have their configuration changed so they can't be destroyed. I can probably take care of that. I will put it on the list of stuff to take care of. Love the screen shots!

If you want that the bunker cannot be put on fire with a flamethrower you could put line "flammable=0;" (without "") into the config vehicle class.

Buildings are now by default 20% "flammable" (flammable=0.2) if there is no such value defined. If you want your house to catch fire easier, then put it over 0.2 (the legal range is 0.0..1.0).

This is valid only for classes derived from "building" (directly or indirectly). (note: the "flammable is not a normal arma entry)

I should do that to my pointe du hoc model, otherwise it will catch on fire and that wouldn't look very nice. lol