Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

31st NORMANDY MOD - WW2  -BETA RELEASE

Forgot to add the armaholic mirror for the new patch smile_o.gif

Frontpaged at the Armaholic.com homepage.

The Armaholic.com download page can be found here:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4174

It was on the first page of this thread.  biggrin_o.gif

For those 109 fans and pilots.  I'm working on my first pit evah!  Lot's of knobs and gadgets!  I will post a dev. pick of it soon so you can see what I've got so far.

109pit.jpg

this mod has been quite impressive so far and I will be keeping my eye on it and will be looking forward to the realese of the mod

great work once again  smile_o.gif

For those 109 fans and pilots.  I'm working on my first pit evah!  Lot's of knobs and gadgets!  I will post a dev. pick of it soon so you can see what I've got so far.

{img}http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k285/wa_roush/109pit.jpg{/img}

If you continue that way it looks like it is going to add more polys to the model that rest of model has  smile_o.gif

I was tempted to do accurate cockpit too, but your limit of 10,000 made me limit the details only to the gunsight, dashboard and the yoke. It has 8,000 polys in the 0 reso LOD. confused_o.gif

So maybe I should put my 3D indicators into the cockpit. They have only 1,000+ polys each.  whistle.gif

Making the inside of anytihng in the first lod is useless and wasteful, because you have Pilotview LODs, which are for the driver/pilot of the vehicle, and as such you can concentrate on that part. And since it's only the cockpit view you can delete nearly half the plane that the pilot doesn't ever see in his cockpit and you gain tons of polies you can use strictly for the cockpit.

Great job on the mod. The overall quality is average but gameplay wise its very nice. Also really nice to see those hull gunnners kick ass.

Some problems.

-He 111 bombs itself to death... maby arma flaw?

-Fighter planes should be more agile.

-Gunner on the Landing boat does not move its gun.

I found it very difficult to find your server. Could you post some IP of server using your mod please. smile_o.gif

Making the inside of anytihng in the first lod is useless and wasteful, because you have Pilotview LODs, which are for the driver/pilot of the vehicle, and as such you can concentrate on that part. And since it's only the cockpit view you can delete nearly half the plane that the pilot doesn't ever see in his cockpit and you gain tons of polies you can use strictly for the cockpit.

Yes, that is a very good point.

I do the "pruning" mostly by hand (because you really don't know the exact point of teh driver/pilot camera or does the viewpoint move slightly when he turns his head. Also you have to be careful with the animated objects. I often  leave the whole object in place if I cannot remove it completely, because otherwise I would have faces floating around (objects become non-closed).

I know that is wasting, but at least in the WIP phase I find it more understandable to keep objects in one piece.

Well you can definatley delete the landing gear and the bottom of the aircraft.

Well you can definatley delete the landing gear and  the bottom of the aircraft.

Yes. Landing gears, landing gear doors, flaps, antennas, superchargers air intakes on the outer side, weapon pylons and the lower mass balances were the first things to go.

If I cut off the wing underside faces I would get a massive 260 faces off. If I cut the left and right fuselage half(where the engines are) I can get maybe 400 faces each. Center fuselage underside c 200. Those total 1200. Worth to remove, but not so fun to do all the time when it is still in WIP.

Someone asked how to find 31stWC.com open1 game server. Just use the gamespy interface ArmA provides and sort by host name. It's near the very top. If you still can't find it send me a PM and I will give you the IP address. The version of ww2warfare on there is a beta test only just to go in there and get a feel for the equipment. There are several little bugs in there that cause AI to get stuck (AIStatsMPRowUpdate) not found - bug) - I think it has to do with the AI group classnames which I changed and the airports do not work properly(zero-divisor error) - again unit classname error most likely. I did include spawning of all aircraft from the aircraft factory. I plan to rewrite another warfare mission in the next couple days to see if I can get past those errors. Other then that the mission is running for now temporarily on the server.

Aqu mentioned the high poly count. I'm only 2,000 polys on this cockpit so far. It's in the Pilots LOD. I only included the canopy as a guide for dimensional purposes. You can see I started over on the lower frame of the canopy.

Friketmonkey - The He-111 bombs are too powerful for AI to drop on their own at ArmA's default flight Alt of 97m. If you are flying the aircraft, fly at a higher altitude to bomb. The damage values, armor, handling etc is a future discussion we will be having to establish a formula and system for the WW2 mod. I think I mentioned that...not sure wink_o.gif The gunner on the LCM(3) Landing craft does not pivot with the turret corret? - Noted, thanks for catching that - Will be fixed.

Stavanger - Thanks!

I'm relaxing this weekend. Don't expect much out of me until after the weekend is over.

Thanks!

-Rip31st

...here PZ IV aiming...

Was that actually how you intended the gunsight to look?

It's zoomed in far too much. It looks like you applied the

texture to the gunsight proxy thingy wrongly (I got that

with some of my stuff too until I worked it out).

The tanks all behave a bit strangely. I can't do anything from

the commanders position. The view is fixed straight ahead.

All I can do is fire that machine gun (which shouldn't really

be there anyway). All of the allied tanks make ArmA crap

itself and crash.

The Horsa glider has quite some potential for unusual

missions, though, even if actually landing it on a desired

spot is pretty hard.

This mod reminds me of when I used to play "wargames" on

the floor in my room; platoons of shoddily painted plastic toy

soldiers and panzer divisions of home-made cardboard tanks.

I dont have much time for play but today i tried it. AND I like it!!!

Rip31st u have done a lot of work  notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

I notice bad textures on propllers of planes when i looked to sea through it. I resolved it using proxy on propllers. I If u want i can send u my update version of Bf 109 where i fixed it.

Rip gr8 mod ,its maybe not perfect but its a start.its seems some morons r missing the plot.please keep up the good work and col f i think u should go back to your toys nener.gif

About the quality of art:

I think Rip31st is aware that it's far from perfect but he stated from the start that his intention was not on the quality of art, but on general quantity and fun. Keeping that in mind you can enjoy the mod a bit more, probably. I still haven't DLed, lack of time is a bitch.

Frizy I can send the model back your way, just PM me.

The WW2 mod stuff needs it share of work. Always room for improvement. There are some improvements coming soon. I'm taking texture lessons from one of the finest. Johns_ART. Have you seen his Tigers or any of his work. It's amazing. Anyway I agree with Faulkner on the quality issue. But ya know, like I've stated before, that was never the intention.

Either buckle down and hang on tight for the rough ride ahead or hop off the bus here

wink_o.gif

Most people have the patience to wait.

Cool mod!!! Great! notworthy.gif

Here some suggestions for missing guns:

USA

M114 155 mm howitzer

37mm gun M3A1 AT-gun

3 inch Gun M5 AT-gun

GB

Ordnance QF 17-pounder AT-gun

Ordnance QF 6 pounder AT-gun

Ordnance QF 25 pounder howitzer

BL 5.5 inch Medium Gun howitzer

GERMANY

10.5 cm leFH 16 howitzer

15 cm sFH 18 howitzer

17 cm Kanone 18 Heavy gun

Hey Rip31st!

Want you maybe to do after this Mod sometime also something the Russia campaign and Pacific war?

The next stage (after finishing normandy of course) Has been revealed as the battle of the bulge but a lot of theaters will be covered in time.

as for that list.

i see little point for many many different artillery pieces.

i would expect a collection to be built when the project is in the later stages.

after all 1 artillery piece for each side in each phase will some build up a nice array of artillery and AT guns.

UPDATE:

-109 cockpit ready for paint. I've taken a much needed texture class that Johns_art gave me. So hopefully we will see some improvement in my artwork.

109pit4.jpg

Ive downloaded the updates and they fix the Sherman and the others but the Pershing still crashes the game for me (i have a ATI-card).

How do do the four-seated tanks work? How do I man them, script-wise? You probably know this, but the Sherman commander can fire his gun from inside the tank, but he can't turn out. Maybe you can take a look at the VTE-mod if you want to see how to make that thing work.

I'm experienceing som strange sounds when playing multiplayer with myself (other computer as dedicated server). Sounds like the engine sound of a tank plus some strange noises. The Sherman, Pershing, Tiger and Pzkfw IV was in the game.

I must say, this mod is AWESOME! I played a long game last nigth and seeing that Tiger roll over the horizon made me nearly shit my pants in excitement! Keep up the good work! yay.gif

Bugs!

pershingys5.jpg

M26 Sherman

tigerqg0.jpg

Tiger

sad_o.gif The model of the tiger looks not quite realistic! Above all, the foundation was just! Is it normal that a M26 Pershing with one single shot could switch off a Tiger tank or Jagdpanther? Here in the Mod it is in such a way.

Otherwise likes me of the Mod! Continues in such a way! thumbs-up.gif

Cool mod!!! Great!  notworthy.gif

Here some suggestions for missing guns:

USA

M114 155 mm howitzer

37mm gun M3A1 AT-gun

3 inch Gun M5 AT-gun

GB

Ordnance QF 17-pounder AT-gun

Ordnance QF 6 pounder AT-gun

Ordnance QF 25 pounder howitzer

BL 5.5 inch Medium Gun howitzer

GERMANY

10.5 cm leFH 16 howitzer

15 cm sFH 18 howitzer

17 cm Kanone 18 Heavy gun

Hey Rip31st!

Want you maybe to do after this Mod sometime also something the Russia campaign and Pacific war?

A bunch of artillery guns would be kinda useless without a good working artillery system.

Until then only AT guns should get much attention until a good artillery system is made by someone for the mod (or a 3rd party system is used.

Aside from that there are a hundreds of other cool WWII stuff that could be made and that are much more interesting.

I really hope to see those lancaster bombers further developed.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Ive downloaded the updates and they fix the Sherman and the others but the Pershing still crashes the game for me (i have a ATI-card).

How do do the four-seated tanks work? How do I man them, script-wise? You probably know this, but the Sherman commander can fire his gun from inside the tank, but he can't turn out. Maybe you can take a look at the VTE-mod if you want to see how to make that thing work.

I'm experienceing som strange sounds when playing multiplayer with myself (other computer as dedicated server). Sounds like the engine sound of a tank plus some strange noises. The Sherman, Pershing, Tiger and Pzkfw IV was in the game.

I must say, this mod is AWESOME! I played a long game last nigth and seeing that Tiger roll over the horizon made me nearly shit my pants in excitement! Keep up the good work! yay.gif

I will look into the Pershing tank. I don't see a problem at the moment with the texture. Might be the background image.

Xorron - Those bugs were already posted. I think the road wheels on the m26 & pz3f were posted as a known issue as part of the release. Thanks though. They will be addressed.

Four seated tank scripting is difficult in ArmA since you only have a commander, driver and gunner position existing in the engine. There is no "hull gunner" position existing. How can you tell the game to fill those spots if one doesn't really exist. The hull gunner is a unique feature to the WW2 mod. Hopefully ArmA2 will address those issues as it's a game engine feature that lacks at the moment.

There is a cockpit in work for the Lancaster. IF you use the 31stwc.com open1 server the m101 & 88 have been scripted to be used as artillery.

Well ... I had believe that RavenDK having released a 5 gunners template vehicle here, 2 gunners can be available in a tank.

And  ... the DDAM "Special 240GD HMG" is having a driver and 3 gunners (front gunner, HMG gunner and rear gunner),and it's working in game (haven't test it in MP).