Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

31st NORMANDY MOD - WW2  -BETA RELEASE

UPDATE:

Gathered a list up from both Armaholic and BI forums...All these items will be addressed. Please keep in mind its been 24 hours since the mod has been released. Plus the mod had a short development stage.

**Ww2warfare is not currently running on the server. Joining a regular server with the mod in your startup may cause issues.

- The warfare mission was not included in the pack.

-Please do not use other mods with this mod as they are not yet compatible. Give addon makers the chance to develope their mods for this one.

-Planes did not come with cockpits or indicators. Those are in work. Several people have mentioned they got vertigo without the use of a horizon indicator and crashed their aircraft. I am on your side! The planes need them. Also we need input, screenshots of WW2 cockpit gunnery sights so we can get a grip on what we need to add there.

-The lack of foilage - This map is absolutely huge. Placing object on the map is a delicate balance between the map and what gets placed in the mission editor. ArmA's engine limits it to 1,000,000 or so objects. There are over 500,000 at the moment. When you start to reach into the 600,000 object range, a lot of systems have issues handling it in their memory. We know we could easily take the time to add more. Which we will. But one thing is for sure. Everyone wants a version of "warfare" to run on this map. We want to make sure we don't overload the map so we can still use that mission. The map's intended purpose is to provide an all around versatile map that will allow large scale scenarios that use the entire map down to small scenarios such as a hilltop battle. IT is highly unrecommended to use any setting in a mission that would remove the clutter as the map doesn't look very good without it. I think mission makers should take that into consideration. One thing that has been mentioned about the map is it's lack of hills and rellef. We will add more to it. As you know in real life a lot of the area we are playing on is flat farmland. BUT not this flat. We understand as that will change for you. The terrain grid is on a 150 meter system. That is why it may appear to be blocky or the hills may have sharp edges. Smaller maps make smoother surfaces -Just an Arma engine limitation. We will add more random objects here and there so it doesn't seem so bare in spots.

-There is a house in the middle of the road in the town of Carentan.

-There are no forifications on the beaches. This is left up to the mission makers to place them dynamically through the editor.

**We did some multiplayer testing and found several issues that will be addressed later.**

-Found one of the US infantry with a camo helmet lacked textures.

-The Vilas infantry lack the proper configuration for throwing grenades.

-The M101 105mm howitzer has german sights.

- MODS other then this cause some big issues in multiplayer including serious LAG! Please do not use other mods with this one until specific addon mods are developed for this one.

-The pz3f and m26 have two road wheels that dont rotate around their proper axis.

-The WC51 dodge has a wierd rotational animation that passes infront of the drivers face upon acceleration - looks like two post-it notes moving up the screen.

-Willy's Jeep can carry multiple passengers but only two are visible.

-Get in position on the Ju52 for the cargo passengers is at the front, should be placed in the rear.

-Seating on the JU52 & C47's aren't properly positioned for the passenger cargo.

-The tiger tank road wheels on the right side appear "hollow". Infact they are. The faces will be reversed and fixed.

-Sparks50 had a graphic glitch that was probably associated with the compression of the file. It was over 700mb to begin with and you can download it under 300mb. I would suggest if you are having graphic's errors to re-download and re-install. We tested the mod on several video cards of the ATI and Nvidia variety before the beta release.

-Sound - Some vehicles values for their db are too high which cause them to be audible over large distances.

-Telix mentioned the dispersion rates on weapons. I need to know which weapons specifically. During multiplayer testing people mentioned the machine guns dispersion was too high and they couldn't hit much beyond 300m.

-SLX mod is not supported.

-CTD's if there are any would possibly be caused by switching positions internally in a vehicle. I need to know which ones those are.

-Pressing"F" or "G" shouldn't cause a CTD. I would re-download and re-install. Again the compression rating on the file might have done something when it comes to the download.

-RCB Jeza mentioned he CTD when trying to use the Sherman. Could you try it again and let me know exactly what happens.

-Aqu mentioned when he flew over Calais there was a p3d something missing. I'm not aware of any p3d models missing. This may be caused again by the compression of the download. Try re-downloading and re-installing again. This may correct the issue. There is a known missing texture on one of the buildings in Calais and Canterburry that will cause a "pop-up" error stating the texture is missing.

-MadRussian mentioned the rolls rates of the aircraft, good feedack! We know there is an issue there as we had a difficult time getting the larger aircraft to turn without being a tortoise. The larger aircraft like the C47, JU52, Lancaster & others have similar geometry as the fighters do. I'm not satisfied with that as well. It was either have a bomber that can turn on a dime or one that stalled and crashed when turning. Of course this will be addressed after we come up with a fix or compromise on the aircrafts flight dynamics. We all know ArmA isn't the greatest when it comes to flight simulation.

-Turret turn rates are based on the slower WWII turrets of the era. IF they are too slow then we will speed them up. ArmA's engine limitations keep us from keeping the turret in place when the vehicle turns. Arma's engine has a built in stabilizer.

-dengibtsschon mentioned an error code about a texture size. What size did the error mention? We attempted to stay conformant with a 2048x2048 texture on most vehicles. There are a couple OFP vehicle conversions that use various texture sizes. IF you could be more specific, maybe I can help. Tell us what happened with what vehicle.

-The damage system for the WW2 mod is completely different then ArmA's for the vehicles points, the weapons damage points, etc. We need to establish a base line for all the vehicles and a formula to accompany it. As previously stated before the mods release there is no rhyme or reason on how it's currently set. We are looking for feedback in the forums to address the damage system. Some people complained about trying to shoot down other aircraft and that they had a difficult time or couldn't do it at all - we are aware of it and will take care of that.

Thanks for the input so far. We look forward to addressing these to make a better gameplay experience.

-Rip

Apologies if you typed it but I missed it, in the horsa glider the passengers locations put them through the floor AND at night, the walls of the craft appear transparent.

The darker it is the more you can see through them.

Also, the willy's jeep, whilst you can put four people in it, only the two in the front seats appear.

I'm not a big fan of it either, but if it really is such a big issue for the German community, then I'm sure we can do without historical accuracy at that point.

BTW my textures solved itself after I redownloaded as you told me to RIP31st, thanks.

Thanks for the thorough update Rip31st and your continued support.

Thought of another quick one...  Regarding the 88mm gun, I blasted away at the occupants with various hand weapons... they wouldn't die. Eventually the whole gun blew up. tounge2.gif

Don't know if this is a problem with all artillery or not.  At work right now or I'd check it out. I'm sure you're already on it.

UPDATE:

WW2WARFARE is now running on the 31STWC.COM open 1 server. This is a beta release of this mission. It is buggy. The airports do not work properly. Please read the mission briefing for details on how to use this version. Mission makers may take and modify this mission to help resolve some issues or make improvements. Russians are the resistance and they operate with Allied equipment.

I rechecked the Calais thing. Sorry I remembered it bit wrong.

It complained about "ca\buildings\data\zalchat_beton.pac"

About not being to kill the 88 crew... My guess is that the p3d file lacks the crew proxies in the fire geometry. Result is exactly that if you forget them.

I defintely have a problem with planes in the editor and in the warefare mission (when i use the t menu to buy a plane), i have the message i ve already written.

to find correct cockpits just take a look at a game called IL-2 1946

* need to mention that its almost impossible to know your altitude because of the bad textured ground

Several people have mentioned they got vertigo without the use of a horizon indicator and crashed their aircraft.  I am on your side!

I may have an interum solution for all of you fixed-horizon-in-3rd-person haters.

I've been working diligently on a improved 3rd person camera tool that allows the 3rd person camera's orientation to be fixed to the vehicle's orientation instead of the horizon. (It uses quaternion rotations...  loads of fun! )

The tool is easy to use (toggles on a key) and works great.  After playing around with the tool in the editor, I find myself consistently amazed at just how bad ArmA's default 3rd person camera really is (and how badly it makes ArmA's flight model appear to be when in reality ArmA's flight model is actually pretty good.)

For 3rd person gunner views, I've got the camera rotating pivot-wise with respect to the gunner's head instead of the vehicle center... so you can actually see what you are shooting at in 3rd person!  In addition, having the camera oriented with the vehicle (vs horizon) allows for much better aiming while on slopes.  (i.e. Ever try in vanilla to shoot from a vehicle on a hill in 3rd person? rofl.gif Needless to say it dosen't really work.)

If there's interest in my improved 3rd person cam tool, I can accellerate production (it's fairly close) and try to get it out soon in an attempt to help people out who hate the fixed horizon thing and are stuck flying that way atm with the WW2 mod, due to no cockpits.

Rip31st

stupid question - only one man made all this effort to turn so much models into mod ? smile_o.gif

really hard work smile_o.gif

i hope after release of beta you have some hours to sleep smile_o.gif

i hope now many people will help you and donate their unfinished work

one WW2 mod is needed, i hope that other mods who started , but not finished are fully cooperative with You biggrin_o.gif

and this mod will be developing smile_o.gif

Several people have mentioned they got vertigo without the use of a horizon indicator and crashed their aircraft.  I am on your side!

I may have an interum solution for all of you fixed-horizon-in-3rd-person haters.

I've been working diligently on a improved 3rd person camera tool that allows the 3rd person camera's orientation to be fixed to the vehicle's orientation instead of the horizon. (It uses quaternion rotations...  loads of fun! )

The tool is easy to use (toggles on a key) and works great.  After playing around with the tool in the editor, I find myself consistently amazed at just how bad ArmA's default 3rd person camera really is (and how badly it makes ArmA's flight model appear to be when in reality ArmA's flight model is actually pretty good.)

For 3rd person gunner views, I've got the camera rotating pivot-wise with respect to the gunner's head instead of the vehicle center... so you can actually see what you are shooting at in 3rd person!  In addition, having the camera oriented with the vehicle (vs horizon) allows for much better aiming while on slopes.  (i.e. Ever try in vanilla to shoot from a vehicle on a hill in 3rd person? rofl.gif Needless to say it dosen't really work.)

If there's interest in my improved 3rd person cam tool, I can accellerate production (it's fairly close) and try to get it out soon in an attempt to help people out who hate the fixed horizon thing and are stuck flying that way atm with the WW2 mod, due to no cockpits.

Yes!  I'm interested!  Sign me up!  biggrin_o.gif   Oh wait, that means if you sign me up, you sign everyone up!  wink_o.gif

I glanced around today at IL-2.  I played that game a while ago.  Looks like its still the same.  I do like the cockpits.  We are currently working on some.  I took a look at the us cockpits site someone gave a link for.  Very good reference site.  Hopefully we can come up with some nice interiors.

Quote[/b] ]VILAS

stupid question - only one man made all this effort to turn so much models into mod ? smile_o.gif

really hard work smile_o.gif

i hope after release of beta you have some hours to sleep smile_o.gif

i hope now many people will help you and donate their unfinished work

one WW2 mod is needed, i hope that other mods who started , but not finished are fully cooperative with You biggrin_o.gif

and this mod will be developing smile_o.gif

Lots of people are helping out. Yes I did a good chunk of it. I've had a lot of people thank me for my efforts and I appreciate it.

BUT VILAS! You can help us out! The grenades! Still can't get them to work properly. Maybe I will send you the config file and you can take a quick look at it. I wanna throw some potato mashers in multiplayer!

thx!

-Rip

Tanks gunsight.

I need to afjust to much to hit a standing target. Almost 1 click to the right to hit him is that normal or not.

I glanced around today at IL-2.  I played that game a while ago.  Looks like its still the same.  I do like the cockpits.  We are currently working on some.  I took a look at the us cockpits site someone gave a link for.  Very good reference site.  Hopefully we can come up with some nice interiors.

I have currently the same problem. I have hard time find good pics of the P-38 cockpit instruments, which could work for instrument  (+panel) textures.

All the pictures are usually taken in angle which pretty much makes them useless. I have the Il-2 FB game, but I would be bit careful with that. It is a game and closely looking it has changes from reality here and there. They have usually 1 instrument for USSR, one for German and one for US aircraft for a certain type (e.g speedo). It isn't quite this simple even the same instruments were used in many types. Also don't you need some sort of a permission to copy them?

It begins to look like I have to make a large model (p3d) of each instrument, take a pic of that and use that as a texture in the plane.  crazy_o.gif

is there anyway you an not have cockpits just a cross hair I always used to turn off cockpits in il2 anyway.

Yes!  I'm interested!  Sign me up!  biggrin_o.gif   Oh wait, that means if you sign me up, you sign everyone up!  wink_o.gif

Cool!  I am on it...  With a lot of luck we might get a release sometime this weekend.  Unfortunately I can't crank stuff out quite as fast as you Rip31st. smile_o.gif

Some Comments:

i think the reloadtime of the panzer III is too fast, he needs 3-5 sec. for a shoot. maybe anybody knows the average time for reloading? can´t find something in the web.

the cannon of the sherman4 has a bad bad sound.

the sound of the tigercannon is too quiet

important: the infantry-weapons need more dispersion, i hit the enemy with my mp40 or thompson in a distance of more than 150 m.

the germans need a medic

the combination 31st/ECS-mod doesn´t work (zero-divisor message)

but all in all: it makes really fun

greetz

pit

1)Your doing a mod all about Normandy..

Explain why a tank that didnt serve until mid 45 is present.

Of the American tanks from Jun 44 to end of 44, the Sherman Jumbo (M4A3E2) was the heaviest and not common, nest you haev the M4A3 75mm, 76mm and 105mm variants, the 75 being the most common until around September when the 76mm version was regulary replacing destroyed tanks..

Your models honestly..

Go back to the drawing board, and look at plans and pictures of them, the Tiger is a joke, M4A4 not much better, I remember models like this from aroudn 10 years ago, if not even older if lower spec machines.

C47 has texture issues, maybe even duplicate faces at its tail.

Textures are rather poor all round, colouration has the appearance of that done in books to show kids about the war, not quality at all and off in colour tones.

M101 camoflage?? camoflage unlikely in western europe on artillaery peices, and M101, isn't that a post war weapon?? M2 and M2A1 the 105mm, then you got the M1 and M1A1 155mms. and the M1 155mm Howitzer.

I know it takes time to learn to get to a reasonable standard but personally I would not of let 99% of these models see public light..

I operated just 2 items, Dakota (very very agile) and spitfire (brick).... seems wrong way round.

I did little else being extremely dissappointed at the models.

You have a massive target, and having experienced being part of a team with a target that appears smaller, all I can say is good luck, but this is far from the best step forward.

Research is key to doing project that is supposidly to allow representation of real conditions, equipment and events.

There do exist many many items on the web, or available on books in shops, or for that matter just refering to work done before for OFP, afterall many of them did good research and to be honest look far better than your attempts, and they where done for a lower spec programme.....

sorry to be negative, but sometimes to see negative means your not misled and can take an honest step back and re-evaluate your postion.

Just as a guide... I built 8 versions of one of the Falklands ships, I wont say which but I was never happy but after 5 years I decided I wasnt going to rebuild it again, most wont be aware of its errors....

If your target audicance is to be players who have no clue about ww2 other than maybe tv then you might get away with it, but there are many out ehre who know a darn sight more and maybe thinking what I have said.

Good Luck......

Init!

CBFASI did you read the Discussion thread?

The mod was not about modelling accuracy.

Tis about WW2 MP playablity & fun. wink_o.gif

So far the feedback has been great! 99.9% Are pleased with the mod. I'm not, so there will be a lot of fixes. Someone mentioned we are doing a mod all about "Normandy". Well it's just a name for the mod. I think I've stated that a few times prior to the release the vehicles and such aren't from the period. That's okay wink_o.gif Some people didn't read the WIP thread. AT some some we will release a package. The first one in a series being "The Pegasus Bridge". This will feature historic equipment. We have two historians all over it.

PitPines - Love your feedback I agree with your input. The following will be addressed:

-Pz3f reload time will be researched

-Sherman m4a4 gun sound is horrible, will be replaced

-The Tiger One's main gun is too quiet and will be adjusted

-Inf weapons need more dispersion. The MP40 and Tommy's do. Some of the others like the mg34, bar and mg42 have too much.

-Also Some vehicles such as the 88 have crew that don't die from fire. Those will be fixed.

*AS stated before, other mods are not compatible with this one. We have to give other addon makers a chance to create specific addons for this one.

I would like to add last night I had a blast with my Aussie friends! We played for about 5 hours. The first time I have actually played in a while. I'm totally pumped up now! So on that note I'm not happy with the sights on the Kar 98S. They are a bit off and the weapon appears to fire from a lower quadrant on the screen. This will be fixed too. Some of the tanks have a very high db rating in their sound profile. They are too audible, so those will be toned down. The dead vehicle "sway" or "rocking" motion as we call it can be rather annoying. This has to do directly with that same db rating.

I know I'll get flamed for this wink_o.gif

But CBFASI, perhaps you might think about devoting the same attention to in-depth knowledge, exhaustive research, and accuracy in your typing, spelling, and grammar, that you demand of others in their endeavours?

A bit of politeness might not go amiss either icon_rolleyes.gif

After about 4 downloads, I still get the graphical error message as explained on the last page with the C47 and Sherman. The two vehicles that would excite me most sad_o.gif

Is there any way around this?

10 to 15 rounds per minute for the 5cm KwK 37 L/60 and KwK 38 L/42 on the PzKpfw III

10 to 15 rounds per minute for the 5cm KwK 37 L/60 and KwK 38 L/42 on the PzKpfw III

So roughly 5 seconds.