Sign in to follow this  
Vultar

Ragdoll, should Arma2 have it?

Lag=internet lag. We're talking about a battlefield of lets say, 60 soldiers, all have to be insync over an already strained internet connection. Clientside, it's okay, but seeing how you can use bodies as cover, it has to be server side too, more bandwidth...

What about OFP2?

You realy think CM is so dumb to implement NO ragdoll and NO body-hitpoints to the upcoming OFP2?

Man, dream on ...

Pro's and Cons of ragdolls vs eurphoria vs standard animations have already been debated quite extensively.

BIS's politics seems to no rely on expensive third parties middleware, so euphoria is out of question.

Ragdoll is nice in SP, but problematic to synchronize in MP, just as any physic simulations (see the difference in Crysis SP vs MP)

A solution would be to use ragdoll for SP and pure animations for MP, but you're then changing the game experience from one mode to another.

Another one would be to blend the result of the ragdoll animation into a predefined rest pose, but that could lead to strange results if some cases.

A good set of many death animations is probably the best compromise.

The ideal

Yeah, but...

Arma2 is going to be released in 2009. It's about time to upgrade radoll to make it suitable for MP in 100%. (Americas Army is only MP game and ragdoll there is great). About euphoria, I see it first time and I am really amazed, but I do not think that RV3 can handle such a thing. On the other hand it is great to see that future warfare simulators will give 99% real life experience.

Here comes another mind. You guys know dying animations from SLX_mod... those are so great that ragdoll isn't really needed. So if BIS will include such ones we will send ragdoll to where it came from wink_o.gif

@Madmatt

You say "Such a large game". How about oblivion? It's map is as big as arma's (or bigger) and about 1000+ NPCs all over it. Tons of scripts and effect whatever you do and ragdoll is still included.

What's more, oblivion works better than ArmA on my low-end PC.

(gf7300gs 256ram ddr2, cpu 2,8ghz,1gb ram ddr2)

Dont say it sucks, I know it wink_o.gif

Yeah, but...

Arma2 is going to be released in 2009. It's about time to upgrade radoll to make it suitable for MP in 100%. (Americas Army is only MP game and ragdoll there is great). About euphoria, I see it first time and I am really amazed, but I do not think that RV3 can handle such a thing. On the other hand it is great to see that future warfare simulators will give 99% real life experience.

Here comes another mind. You guys know dying animations from SLX_mod... those are so great that ragdoll isn't really needed. So if BIS will include such ones we will send ragdoll to where it came from wink_o.gif

@Madmatt

You say "Such a large game". How about oblivion? It's map is as big as arma's (or bigger) and about 1000+ NPCs all over it. Tons of scripts and effect whatever you do and ragdoll is still included.

What's more, oblivion works better than ArmA on my low-end PC.

(gf7300gs 256ram ddr2, cpu 2,8ghz,1gb ram ddr2)

Dont say it sucks, I know it wink_o.gif

In Oblivion, Tamriel is basically 41 km2. In Armed Assault, United Sahrani is about 400km2.

In Oblivion, you don't have to sync everything that is in the game-world with the other players. In ArmA, you have to do that too.

In Oblivion, most of the worlds AI units are in the different cell than you are, thus they are "inactive" and doesn't work in "real time" at all. And yes, atleast in vanilla-Oblivion the NPC scripts are pretty basic. When in-game clock is 12, npc x goes to eat, and after that, when in-game clock is 22:00, npc y goes to "sleep". So yeah, that is the NPC characters that are in the same cell and in "close proximity" to the player.

So I could start explaining now why there is no COOP-mode in S.T.A.L.K.E.R games, but I just say that the ArmA is allready too big game to have ragdoll effect in it.

Or yeah, the other option is to cut out "some" features and dumb ArmA down in order to have a ragdoll-physics and a decently working multiplayer-coop that can support battles that has over 100 AI-units in it.

Oh noes, not another ragdoll thread. crazy_o.gif

Like Opteryx already pointed out, there are already 8 threads discussing ragdoll effects in ArmA2. The last one was started in February this year.

We surely don't need another poll/thread for this. If the <s>gurus</s> Devs are implementing it, then fine. If not, not 1000 ragdoll threads will make it happen. wink_o.gif