Sign in to follow this  
teacup

RTM animation kit for Maya

This is the best thing since popcorn! Glad to see you back teaCup. Listen, mind if I try to port this into max? This would be a superfun project.

Finally notworthy.gif

I hope this will help modeller with this difficult part.

Is it possible to animate all kind of objects or currently only soldier?

This is BIG BIG news. I tried it out, and its fantastic. I have about FOUR big projects on hold at the moment because I couldnt get my RTM's properly working out of 3ds Max. Thank you very much sir!

Does this mean we can fix up animations with Bullpup design weapons and Weapon mounted grenade launchers such as M203huh.gif

In theory, yes. But you'd have to modify almost every animation.

Yea a Max version would be nice indeed... but since teacup is a diehard maya fan, i guess he wont touch max at a wink_o.gif

otherwise i could make do some mocap recordings.

Great news, thats definatly something the community needed.

Thumbs up teaCup!

o)

huh.gif live 100 years and still fool die.......

russian wisdom(modern version)) sorry my bad engliz))

=============================

well) it's time to learn Maya))

o) i want to say another one thanx))

hey teaCup,

would we be able to move the rifle position from on the units back to across his chest (like when the unit sits cargo on the dirt bike?)

in short, using this tool would we be able to reposition the rifle on the unit somewhere other than verticle when the unit is using his secondary weapon?

hey teaCup,

would we be able to move the rifle position from on the units back to across his chest (like when the unit sits cargo on the dirt bike?)

in short, using this tool would we be able to reposition the rifle on the unit somewhere other than verticle when the unit is using his secondary weapon?

Yes, but you'd have to replace the whole set of pistol and/or AT animations with ones where the rifle is relocated for it to work in all instances.

I'll have to did out my copy of Maya to test this out.

To be honest, I've found it pretty easy to make new anims in O2PE with the BIS sample skeleton so far, hopefully this'll be even better.

Thanks for the kind words and the mirrors guys. To answer a few questions:

Quote[/b] ]Is it possible to animate all kind of objects or currently only soldier?

The script will allow you to export/import animations for any kind of objects. You just need to get your selections into Maya, and rig them. You also need to figure out the whole Right-/Left-Handed coordinate systems as well. So yeah, it's not super simple but you can.

Quote[/b] ]Does this mean we can fix up animations with Bullpup design weapons and Weapon mounted grenade launchers such as M203

You can fix the animations, but the config does not support switching animation trees depending on what kind of weapons you just picked up. And it would be a lot of work too.

Quote[/b] ]in short, using this tool would we be able to reposition the rifle on the unit somewhere other than verticle when the unit is using his secondary weapon?

In principle yes, but it's work intensive. I suggest you wait for the next update on the tools if you mean to go ahead with something like that.

This is not yet a mature and versatile toolchain. Not exactly suited for big jobs, major overhauls of the animation system and whatnot. I'm hoping the next version will do the trick. But until then, this should be pretty decent for animations that don't need to connect to other animations, static "animations", minor tweaks, etc..

Before i forget: all bodyparts have controlling curves except for the fingers. To animate the fingers, display the skeleton and animate the finger bones directly. There's a few vertices with wonky skin weights in some of the fingers, dont mind that. It will be fine in the game.

awesome, will these be compatable for poser?...

You can fix the animations, but the config does not support switching animation trees depending on what kind of weapons you just picked up. And it would be a lot of work too.

With scripting it could be done, for example, eventhandlers AnimChanged and AnimDone could be of help.

Hello, can anybody help me?

Im trying to export BIS MLOD "Soldier.p3d" via NamedSelections2Obj.exe utility with no success. P3d file is loaded in utility correctly (or not? see pic, LODs numers are changed; Fire, Geo, Hitpoints etc. LODs are missing). when i choose one from the LODs, export calls "LOD offset error" crazy_o.gifhelp.gif

nserrorjz2.jpg

The new MLOD P3Ds are different from the old ones, and are throwing the parser off (The old O2 can't read them either). The list of LODs displayed is all garbled - you should be seeing proper LOD numbers and names.

Don't have the time to rewrite now, but here's a workaround:

1 - Open the file up in the new O2

2 - Export to "P3D Old Version.."

3 - Open the resulting file in the old O2 (you can still d/l it from the Breathe page)

4 - Save

5- Try NamedSelections2obj again..

Hope this solves your problem.

Thanx for fast reply. Problem solved partially. I did like you wrote, list of LODs is correct now. But there is a problem with import in Maya 2008 (Import settings by your "How to"):

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">// Error: line 0: OBJ file line %d: index out of range for face creation. //

// Error: Error reading file. //

and

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Wrong geometric vertex index 243021 in OBJ file line 13518

Any clue?

I know what it is. It's another thing having to do with the parser going bonkers, but again.. no time to fix.

However, if you did step #4 correctly, you shouldn't get that error. After you opened the "old school" MLOD P3D in the old (OFP era) O2, you should re-save it. Or save it with another name.

As long as the final file you feed to NamedSelections2obj is written by the old O2, you shouldn't get that error when importing to Maya.

If problem persists (shouldn't be the case though), you will have to do some simple editing of the OBJ file before handing it over to Maya.

The error you get means that the OBJ file references an inexistent vertex index (in your case: 243021). Search the OBJ file (in Wordpad for instance) for that number, and delete all occurances of it.

Overstepping the index happens when NamedSelections2obj doesn't know when to stop, and keeps writing nonsense into the OBJ. It usually hangs and you need to kill the process. But like i said, do step 4 right and it should work properly.

If you're still having issues after this, just PM me and we can take a closer look.

Edit: It seems with newer versions of the VB libraries the formating of floating point numbers is affected. Commas are used instead of periods as separators. So if anyone has the same problem, replace all "," with ".".