Sign in to follow this  
Universel

Most important annoyance ARMA 2 must get rid of

I think that before adding new features, it is more important to take some time to fix what is broken in ArmA, and what worked PERFECLTY in OFP.

Below are the 3 main reasons that ruined my ArmA game experience, compared to the awesome OFP.

1. Autocentering steering wheel while using mouse.

This is top priority, mentioned everywhere, by everyone.

Copy-paste OFP code, it worked perfectly.

Get rid of it. Pls

2. Uber maneuverable impossible to avoid AA missiles.

This ruined a lot of games that involve choppers/planes.

Get rid of it. Pls

3. Broken Kamov bug, where pilot couldnt move the gunpod.

Ruined Soviet chopper experience.

I know it is ArmA engine limitation. I hope it wont be ArmaA 2 engine limitation.

Quote[/b] ]3. Broken Kamov bug, where pilot couldnt move the gunpod.

I know it is ArmA engine limitation. I hope it wont be ArmaA 2 engine limitation.

As far as I know, this is not a engine limitation, the real life Kamov neither can move its gun. This has been changed a little with the two-seater Ka-52 whose gun has about 20-degrees field of shooting.

Get rid of it. Pls

As I remember OFP, the AA missiles in it rarely missed. There wasn't really a way to dodge them in vanilla ofp. In order for the AI to miss you with it you had to be flying right over them as they fired and even then sometimes they would get a hit.

I say just add flares and make it so that when a missile is launched at you there is a warning, the flares deploy and you have to manuever to avoid it.

As far as Strelas go in ArmA, all they can really be used for in mission editing (in my experience) is to block off an area so the player can't go into it.

Agree on steering.

Unsure of Kamov.

I don't think that the maneuverability of the missiles is the problem. Those missiles are very maneuverable. The problems as I see them are launch envelope, the fact that if they miss they'll turn around and come get you, and that there aren't any countermeasures against them. I don't think that you should really be able to outmaneuver a stinger.

Quote[/b] ]3. Broken Kamov bug, where pilot couldnt move the gunpod.

As far as I know, this is not a engine limitation, the real life Kamov neither can move its gun. This has been changed a little with the two-seater Ka-52 whose gun has about 20-degrees field of shooting.

I'm pretty sure the ka-50 and ka-52 both share the very limited but possible movement of the auto-cannon. This is how it is in real life. I cannot remember the exact degrees of rotation, but it CAN rotate, just much less than the cobra or apache.

As I remember OFP, the AA missiles in it rarely missed. There wasn't really a way to dodge them in vanilla ofp. In order for the AI to miss you with it you had to be flying right over them as they fired and even then sometimes they would get a hit.

nope - in OPF 1.96 stingers/strelas almost ALWAYS missed unless they were fired at the rear of the target.

That system was MUCH better for gameplay than the crazy 'super AA missiles' in ARMA. Some of my best memories from OPF were trying to line up a good AA shot against a Cobra/Apache/Hind in PVP combat.

In ARMA, this same process is just boring, because you KNOW the missile will always hit.

Why BIS decided to change it I cannot possibly imagine  banghead.gif

nope - in OPF 1.96 stingers/strelas almost ALWAYS missed unless they were fired at the rear of the target.

That system was MUCH better for gameplay than the crazy 'super AA missiles' in ARMA. Some of my best memories from OPF were trying to line up a good AA shot against a Cobra/Apache/Hind in PVP combat.

In ARMA, this same process is just boring, because you KNOW the missile will always hit.

Why BIS decided to change it I cannot possibly  imagine  banghead.gif

Couldnt say it better.

If you have some decent OFP experience you cannot not know that: never oh never fire your Strela/Stinger on an approaching plane or chopper. You'll miss and it'll track the smoke trail and kill you.

Argh, I love so much OFP.

About the Kamov gunpod, it is 100% an ArmA engine limitation. From what I understood its only counterpart is engine ability to give the tank commanders a machinegun.

I have little hopes for that defect to be fixed since BIS seems to have removed single seated Ka50 from Arma2...

2. doesn't sound like an engine issue, it should be posible to config-fix it. BI announced that they want to work on config fixes with the community, iirc.

3. is an engine issue, as the driver/pilot cannot be in a turret afaik.

The problem regarding missiles is not their accuracy , it is the fact there is absolutely no countermeasures implemented in the game.

Not need of very complex countermeasure simulation, a simple "percentage of an incoming missile being automatically deflected or not" solution like addons makers have done by scripts since OFP would be acceptable.

But implementing those modern hardware in the game without a single, even simple, countermeasure again like in vanilla OFP/ArmA would be a joke.

And a joke repeated 3 times is not funny anymore.

The problem regarding missiles is not their accuracy , it is the fact there is absolutely no countermeasures implemented in the game.

Not need of very complex countermeasure simulation, a simple "percentage of an incoming missile being automatically deflected or not" solution like addons makers have done by scripts since OFP would be acceptable.

But implementing those modern hardware in the game without a single, even simple, countermeasure again like in vanilla OFP/ArmA would be a joke.

And a joke repeated 3 times is not funny anymore.

I hear that, kinda ridiculous If you think about it huh.gif

Didn't they do the whole aa missile thingy that way so that air stuff wouldn't be overpowered! biggrin_o.gif

I think he ofp way had its advantages but the Arma way works ok too, I would want a default built in AA lock on warningsound system inside choppers and aircraft. Maybe not the camel but you get the picture tounge2.gif

1. Autocentering  steering wheel while using mouse.

This is top priority, mentioned everywhere, by everyone.

Get rid of it. Pls

Get rid of it. Pls

1. Auto-Centering?

When I drive my car, go around a turn, and let go of the wheel - it goes back to center. It doesn't just keep going in the direction I turned the wheel. It would make my driving much easier if my car's steering linkage didn't try to right itself out of a turn.

Leave auto-centering - this game is supposed to simualte as much realism as possible. It won't get it all, but get as much as it can LOL!

I use a mouse to drive in ArmA and have never had a problem. The biggest thing I see most people doing wrong is going full speed all the time. The driving in ArmA was actually done very well (aka Not Easy anymore). Let off of the gas before going into a turn, then give it gas while turning. Works out fine, I rarely run off the road, and almost always reach the target area before those trying to go full speed the whole way biggrin_o.gif

2. Countermeasures need to be implemented. A heat seeker is pretty much going straight for the target unless a flare is launched.

And, as someone mentioned, they were pretty accurate in vanilla OFP as well.

3. The KA-50's 30mm gun has a semi-rigid mount. The weapons' CPU turns the helicopter instead of the cannon. The cannon is not nose mounted, it's side mounted in both the Ka-50 and the Ka-52.

I dont ask for countermeasures or whatever work that would require more than 10min of dev (thats just a supposition biggrin_o.gif ).

Only copy-paste OFP config files into ArmA 2 pls.

Same with the autocentering (IRL you dont steer with a mouse...)

The guys who never played OFP have no idea how that game was awesome, and if it werent OFP fans and modders, ArmA woudln't have sold half of its copies because so many great things were removed/reverted...

Quote[/b] ]When I drive my car, go around a turn, and let go of the wheel - it goes back to center.

You clearly don't understand the issue. In real life you can easily hold the wheel at a certain angle to turn smoothly. In ArmA you have to shake the wheel constantly like a retard to follow a turn.

Edit: OOPS - I see this is the 'get rif of' thread. OK then...

For me it would be (an in no particular order):

-Get rid of the "no pedal effect" in a light helicopter in motion. Ofp worked much better.

-Get rid of the rigid animations/inability to move while reloading/binocs etc. And let us be able to sprint on a 5 degree incline/decline. I really dislike the way you're limited to a stroll as soon as elevation changes even slightly.

-(This one is a long shot but for me it would make such a difference) TRackIR: Get rid of x+y axes when I go to ironsight view or give me the option to lock my head movement. I still want to lean but I don't want to look around since I am looking through the ironsight after all. (Arma demo had that perfect).

I know all these things have been talked to death already so hey, whatever. wink_o.gif

1. Auto-Centering?

When I drive my car, go around a turn, and let go of the wheel - it goes back to center. It doesn't just keep going in the direction I turned the wheel. It would make my driving much easier if my car's steering linkage didn't try to right itself out of a turn.

Leave auto-centering - this game is supposed to simualte as much realism as possible. It won't get it all, but get as much as it can LOL!

Excuse me, what?!

From what I've experienced it doesn't take constant effort to keep the wheel in the same position in a real car: you just keep your hands like they are. If you do that with the mouse, the wheel will go back to the center position and what kind of driver lets go of the wheel while driving? To top it, the driver guy still has his hands on the wheel, it's not like he's letting it go. The problem doesn't exist with a joystick or a pad so is a mouse supposed to realistically simulate driving with your hands and steering wheel covered in vaseline?

1. Auto-Centering?

Excuse me, what?!

From what I've experienced it doesn't take constant effort to keep the wheel in the same position in a real car: you just keep your hands like they are. If you do that with the mouse, the wheel will go back to the center position and what kind of driver lets go of the wheel while driving? To top it, the driver guy still has his hands on the wheel, it's not like he's letting it go. The problem doesn't exist with a joystick or a pad so is a mouse supposed to realistically simulate driving with your hands and steering wheel covered in vaseline?

Just use A+D keys to turn the bloody wheel lol.. then it wont autocenter!!!! untill you let go like RL.

Just use A+D keys to turn the bloody wheel lol.. then it wont autocenter!!!! untill you let go like RL.

The keyboard is completely binary, meaning the steering will go all the way to the left and right. Unlike in RL.

-(This one is a long shot but for me it would make such a difference) TRackIR: Get rid of x+y axes when I go to ironsight view or give me the option to lock my head movement. I still want to lean but I don't want to look around since I am looking through the ironsight after all. (Arma demo had that perfect).

You can do this yourself, by mapping TrackIR "Pause" (TrackIR profile) to any key you wish. You might even map it for the same key you use for iron sight (e.g. right mouse button).

That should work, but I haven't tried it, as I've mapped "center" to one of my mouse buttons.

[EDIT]

...I forgot you still want to lean icon_rolleyes.gif  

When I think of it, maybe this really should be a feature of the TrackIR software itself. The ability to disable only selected axes with a hotkey.

As for the topic, I want to remove the fact that you can't run nor sprint while even slightly in a TrackIR lean (I have to keep pressing 'center' all the time). Basically I want run/sprint to automatically cancel lean, TrackIR or not. [/E]

I remember good old times, destroying T80s in OFP because while turning back with A10 I could look behind me and lock on new targets.

What do I get in ArmA?

A10 has got so weak engine that on turning speed decreases from 300 to even 150.

What's more, the most important, I can't look behind, when I turn and use free look camera it starts doing strange things for example look in other direction.

To conclude, I want more powerful A10 engine and possibilty to use free look properly while turning.

Despite that, ArmA ftw! biggrin_o.gif

When you are in first-person view on foot and your soldier in on the side of a mountain, make the camera bank as if looking from eyes !

And for the A-10 problem (camera turning problem), yes, for sure, please correct this one, do not make "turn-view" axis belonging to vehicle, but keeping the camera horizontal... either tie the camera bank to the vehicle one (...not convinced...) or let the "turn-view" axis attached to world references (better - at least for me). Or, as some will say, just add the option !

I remember good old times, destroying T80s in OFP because while turning back with A10 I could look behind me and lock on new targets. ...

A real A10 cannot lock it's missiles onto targets that are behind it. So the limitation in ArmA aircraft that only allows you to lock targets in front of you is a small step towards realism smile_o.gif

I do agree with Lou Montana's suggestions there. The first person view for vehicles is already kinda like that, it would be nice if the others could be made like that too. That way it wont seem as if you twisted your neck every time you roll sideways (when prone).

The weak aircraft engine reminded me of an annoyance of much larger scale: pretty much every vehicle in OFP/ArmA is running on hamsters. I can understand that civilian cars get a bit slower uphill but tanks moving like snails or completely giving up on steep climbs is unacceptable. IRL they usually have enough horsepower to maintain their normal speed while driving uphill, at the very least they aren't nearly as pathetic as in this game.

And when you go downhill, they become rollercoasters without a track, flying hundreds of meters off a cliff. Sure it's fun but only in that "quirky bug" kind of way.  confused_o.gif

The weak aircraft engine reminded me of an annoyance of much larger scale: pretty much every vehicle in OFP/ArmA is running on hamsters. I can understand that civilian cars get a bit slower uphill but tanks moving like snails or completely giving up on steep climbs is unacceptable. IRL they usually have enough horsepower to maintain their normal speed while driving uphill, at the very least they aren't nearly as pathetic as in this game.

And when you go downhill, they become rollercoasters without a track, flying hundreds of meters off a cliff. Sure it's fun but only in that "quirky bug" kind of way.  confused_o.gif

Yeah, i think they went a little bit overboard on it, but lets make sure they still have to work a bit when going up hill. It would look pretty stupid to see one fly up a hill like rocket car.