Sign in to follow this  

Arma Vs Ofp

Quote[/b] ]I love OFP. So I am biased. And yes if you use some of the great mods out there for OFP it can rival ArmA in weapons, hands and some of the vehicles. Arma does have OFP beat on the island foilage and overall look. But when you play WGL or FFUR or FDF or other mods OFP is still awesome and runs great. The CTI missions are still great fun and if you are new to OFP (which I am a adolescent to) You will NEVER play and complete all the missions that are available for download to play. I just reinstalled ArmA and started playing it to test this 115 beta patch and i am warming up to ArmA a lil but I can honestly say... it aint OFP

Yup, it ain't OFP : I can rejoin a MP game mid-session after a crash or simply because I'm late or something wink_o.gif

In other words : ArmA MP is playable for me. OFP JiP limitation has been a killer. As simple as that.

You can't even imagine years ago how I was screaming at ... what? 4 people , locking my dedi server to play a CTI for literrally HOURS (because the map is cool, no doubt) when most of the starting guys long ago left and only these 4 were still on the server.

That was a serious, serious issue. Solved by ArmA, thank BI.

So ArmA may have its problems (I really dislike the animations system), but this single point is a savior to me.

And on top of that, it has other positive aspects (which can be summarized as such : even greater scale).

The join mid game feature is probably armas biggest and best feature.So I will agree that part is a plus.

Whats the point of a topic like that?OFP was a good game,ARMA was better.

It is a perfectly debatable topic. Of course it seems pointless if you think you'll "win" the argument or convince someone to change their mind, because there's no way that will ever happen.

I didn't play OFP very much, due to not having decent hardware at the time, but from what I recall, when you opened fire on the Ai, they hunted you forever.

OFP AI is just the same as in ArmA if talking abotu guard waypoint spiced with guard trgger, if someone can report you location they will come at that location.

Hmm infact i dont' know is Guard waypoint's logic somehow messed up or tweaked to be much more inaccurate in ArmA, or something else. I've seen that my leader (having guard waypoint and guard trigger) has got target/attack marker at what it starts to move at, marker shows that target is 3 kilometers away in north... While target really is 500 meters to south. I dont' understand how it can be like that. I can't remember OFP having such strange things, position of target was much more correct, at least guiding AI to general direction of what they are supposed to go at.

Sure in Arma they eventually got right location of target, i think. It's not just very funny to see reserves starting to dash at opposite direction than from where gunshots are comming, and knowing that there might be bit of a problematic situation at hand and reserves are going to be needed right now.   banghead.gif

It is a perfectly debatable topic. Of course it seems pointless if you think you'll "win" the argument or convince someone to change their mind, because there's no way that will ever happen.

Win the argument?Convince someone to change their mind?

Go play OFP I dont give a s..t.The facts tells that ArmA is more realistic,better at multiplayer,better graphics and physics.These are facts.I am not a fanboy and I ve proved it many times.You are a OFP fanboy...Do you get it now? wink_o.gif

Yup, it ain't OFP : I can rejoin a MP game mid-session after a crash or simply because I'm late or something wink_o.gif

In other words : ArmA MP is playable for me. OFP JiP limitation has been a killer. As simple as that.

You can't even imagine years ago how I was screaming at ... what? 4 people , locking my dedi server to play a CTI for literrally HOURS (because the map is cool, no doubt) when most of the starting guys long ago left and only these 4 were still on the server.

So ArmA may have its problems (I really dislike the animations system), but this single point is a savior to me.

And on top of that, it has other positive aspects (which can be summarized as such : even greater scale).

I totally agree

Whoever likes OFP go play OFP.

Whoever likes ArmA go play ArmA.

OFP had a good single player.But single player is useless.

Thats why ArmA is better.Cause it has better multiplayer.

ArmA of course is more realistin.OFP is like arcade in front of ArmA.

I love OFP but what the fuck you OFP maniacs?Enough....

You know what ? Stop charging this topic if it upsets you soooo much(No one gives a damn), is it THAT hard to move along ? You have something to prove ? No ? banghead.gif

OFP is still a good and better for some players , if you can't deal with it, don't seek it.

Quote[/b] ]

Right on

Whoever likes OFP go play OFP.

Whoever likes ArmA go play ArmA.

OFP had a good single player.But single player is useless.

Thats why ArmA is better.Cause it has better multiplayer.

ArmA of course is more realistin.OFP is like arcade in front of ArmA.

I love OFP but what the fuck you OFP maniacs?Enough....

You know what ? Stop charging this topic if it upsets you soooo much(No one gives a damn), is it THAT hard to move along ? You have something to prove ? No ? banghead.gif

OFP is still a good and better for some players , if you can't deal with it, don't seek it.

Quote[/b] ]

Right on

You know what?Stop quoting if it upsets you soooo much (putting angry smilies),is that hard to move along?

ArmA is better by all means.But you can still play arcade OFP.Maybe ArmA its too hard for you.I can get that.

The only thing that OFP has better is the campaign.So you can go kill some bad commie bots with Mr.Gastovsky if you are to upset so much.

ArmA is better by all means.But you can still play arcade OFP.Maybe ArmA its too hard for you.I can get that.

The only thing that OFP has better is the campaign.So you can go kill some bad commie bots with Mr.Gastovsky if you are to upset so much.

How amusing.

You just started trolling on this topic and it's responders. Then attacked Pulverizer calling him a fanboy and now you expect that we should treat you like a god ? icon_rolleyes.gif

Don't forget Sherlock, without OFP, there wouldn't be any ArmA. ArmA is still i in general OFP 2.5.  thumbs-up.gif

There are still some peoples faithful to this game.

And how the hell is OFP arcade ? Because it has inferior graphics ?

Have you even played the game back in 2001 ? If not ,then maybe I understand, not every of us are bound to gameplay but to graphics and eye candies. Right ?

I remember in 2003 that not OFP, but BATTLEFIELD was considered as arcade by the community.

OFP and ArmA is pretty much the same, I don't get what upsets you so much when are people debating it's pros and cons.

So I guess you don't know too much about OFP then, well if we don't count the Everon campaign... heh

I am particulary not interested in arguing with person like you, but if you wanna continue, PM me for good times, this topic wasn't made for 'our' flame discussion, right ?

The only thing that OFP has better is the campaign.

I'll agree to that! smile_o.gif

Salvatore, you should just report his posts rather than granting him the pleasure of a response. confused_o.gif

Cool it people. You can discuss this topic without resorting to flaming.

There are many things which are better in OFP than in ArmA.

There are many things which are better in ArmA than in OFP.

There is no need to throw a hissy fit if someone says that there is something better in OFP compared to ArmA, and vice-versa.

I think it is fine and normal to have this topic.

How amusing.

You just started trolling on this topic and it's responders. Then attacked Pulverizer calling him a fanboy and now you expect that we should treat you like a god ? icon_rolleyes.gif

Don't forget Sherlock, without OFP, there wouldn't be any ArmA. ArmA is still i in general OFP 2.5.  thumbs-up.gif

There are still some peoples faithful to this game.

And how the hell is OFP arcade ? Because it has inferior graphics ?

Have you even played the game back in 2001 ? If not ,then maybe I understand, not every of us are bound to gameplay but to graphics and eye candies. Right ?

I remember in 2003 that not OFP, but BATTLEFIELD was considered as arcade by the community.

OFP and ArmA is pretty much the same, I don't get what upsets you so much when are people debating it's pros and cons.

So I guess you don't know too much about OFP then, well if we don't count the Everon campaign... heh

I am particulary not interested in arguing with person like you, but if you wanna continue, PM me for good times, this topic wasn't made for 'our' flame discussion, right ?

I didnt quote anybody you smart guy.I said my opinion and then some fanboys attacked me.

@Zipper:report me for what you dumb..s?I am defending my opinion.

Sorry for the off-topic but I had to answer to these bulls...s.

Ptolemaios

Take this stuff to PM if you feel the need to reply, you were warned.

If one of us moddies needs to come back here we bring a bag full of WLs and PRs with us. wink_o.gif

Hi all

OFP is the Real Virtuality engine just the same as ArmA.

ArmA is just OFP with some of the bugs ironed out. BIS made that clear when they produced it. We now have JIP. The netcode is better, heck since 1.15 even voice over IP seems stable. Larger maps with much better graphics, more advances scripting, multiple fire points on vehicles, smarter AI, no more clipping, no more folded up horror buildings to get stuck in etc. etc., the list is long and been pointed out many times. Any one who says OFP was better is incapable of analytic thought.

OFP was good and it has pride of place on my bookshelf, but it is gathering dust.

It is with ArmA II that we will see even more advances.

Kind Regards walker

I can understand that.

Me, playing only in public servers, however feel "bit" different way.

OFP served me best MP-experiences ever. It lacked JIP, but somehow i could jump to any open server and start playing. Usually it was blast.

ArmA served average MP-experiences. True JIP felt nice at start but then again everything else downgraded (maybe by JIP too). Cheaters, respawn, maps etc

Maybe i should check ArmA after few years. I "joined" OFP MP-community in 2005-2006, so there basically was just "hard core"-folk around by then. ArmA i played right from it's start and basically saw cheaters, then saw just 3 mission played in all public servers (worse than cheaters). I quitted by around 1.09 as every coop seemed to serve unlimited respawn and missions based on idea where one just goes around (alone or in group) and kill AIs. And with weapons of ones choosing.

So i rate ArmA MP more poor than OFP. By my point of view.

Operation Flashpoint is THE all time classic for me, it will stay on my harddrive forever!

I'm not playing it today, because since arma release, we don't have our OFP CTI server anymore.

ArmA is also a great game(advanced OFP) but it has been released FULL of bugs, not playable on ~60% on even modern computer systems.

Even after a few patches(many beta) it did not run as it should.

That scared away so many people, even my old hardcore OFP CTI player, so we had not enough ppl to pay for our arma server (playing evolution RED & Blue every day).

So now I'm playing arma only in the editor with all the fantastic mods out there. My modfolders are full of "bugfixing addons", "effect addons" and great "vehicle/island/etc addons".

It's still a great game, but without players/mod teams/the community, it's not what OFP was!

Let us all hope the best for a bugfree ArmA II release and that it is NOT going arcade!

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

Hope arma 2 will get a bigger community than Arma, I guess it has a good chance out there, but it will take its time to grow just like ofp and arma did wink_o.gif

I hope A2 will keep a nice balance between realism and arcade just like ofp and A1 has done and it will be great.

realism always sounds nice but after a few more goes with Ace mod I just got frustrated the whole die but die slow thing is annoying me really biggrin_o.gif Just let me bite the bullet and not make my screen go tunnel vision and black and stuff and not let me do anything than just lie there and watch.. tounge2.gif

I can understand that.

Me, playing only in public servers, however feel "bit" different way.

OFP served me best MP-experiences ever. It lacked JIP, but somehow i could jump to any open server and start playing. Usually it was blast.

ArmA served average MP-experiences. True JIP felt nice at start but then again everything else downgraded (maybe by JIP too). Cheaters, respawn, maps etc

Maybe i should check ArmA after few years. I "joined" OFP MP-community in 2005-2006, so there basically was just "hard core"-folk around by then. ArmA i played right from it's start and basically saw cheaters, then saw just 3 mission played in all public servers (worse than cheaters). I quitted by around 1.09 as every coop seemed to serve unlimited respawn and missions based on idea where one just goes around (alone or in group) and kill AIs. And with weapons of ones choosing.

So i rate ArmA MP more poor than OFP. By my point of view.

Seen the same ArmA cheaters on OFP long time ago.

1st script injecters, things like that.

In fact, ArmA and OFP cheats work in very, very similar way (bomb and units creation, server overloading, etc...), but things are a bit more complicated now for cheaters in ArmA because of signature system and BE, if you ask me. Not perfect, but more robust than OFP while still flexible in terms of playable addons.

Cheater-riddled servers are usually non signed ones, tbh.

For the rest of your reason, I can see where you're coming from smile_o.gif I'd great time in my beginning of OFP, but that was because of a central fact : I had very much time IRL for PC playing, so I could hang around with friends for long on servers.

I could spend time on long and planned missions, etc...

That's not the case anymore, I now can't wait much.

So all in all it boils down to personnal prefs and possibilities.

Hence why I said ArmA saved MP for me wink_o.gif

Another thing, ArmA boring missions. In fact, it's not really BI faults there.

More probably, it because the novelty factor of mission making and discovering simply wore off. You don't see OFP-like missions in ArmA, because... well, they have allready been done, as simple as that smile_o.gif

Now on ArmA, you begin to see new things, EVO, Warfare, in fact the next level of what ArmA can do and what the engine is about.

I think it's exactly (I'm thinking "Warfare" here) where BI want their product to go, bigger in scale, larger in concepts, and where players will follow, or not.

Addendum @Commando84 : ESCAPE -> Respawn wink_o.gif

When ACE slow dying get on your patience, it's the key smile_o.gif

But it's too much of a laugh to use it often, if you ask me

ArmA is just OFP with some of the bugs ironed out. BIS made that clear when they produced it. We now have JIP. The netcode is better, heck since 1.15 even voice over IP seems stable. Larger maps with much better graphics, more advances scripting, multiple fire points on vehicles, smarter AI, no more clipping, no more folded up horror buildings to get stuck in etc. etc., the list is long and been pointed out many times. Any one who says OFP was better is incapable of analytic thought.

Do you need analytical thought to tell you if you find Game A more entertaining than Game B? And a scientific study to know if you enjoy a piece of music X more than Y? An Excel diagram to determine if you like Apples more than Oranges?

So, would anyone have made the jump to OFP if it was released TODAY, after Arma? I for sure wouldn't.

OFP had a good Campaign from the box, but I have already seen plenty of SP user made campaigns for Arma that beats it IMO

So, would anyone have made the jump to OFP if it was released TODAY, after Arma? I for sure wouldn't.

OFP had a good Campaign from the box, but I have already seen plenty of SP user made campaigns for Arma that beats it IMO

I would disagree with that. It will be tough to beat those campaigns. I think that's why you see all these ports of ancient missions. I mean if ArmA is that much better why port the old maps and missions? Because they were really THAT good is why. Now someone said who would play OFP after playing ArmA if OFP was released today. Not many but by server comparison they aren't all that many playing arma either. I go in Delta Force Black Hawk down and I see more payers than arma and that game is 4 or 5 years old now. Same with Joint Ops and dont get me started on COD series because COD has THOUSANDS of players still playing it. Different games but still a fact we don't have the audience for these huge battles in my opinion and the servers show it.

I would disagree with that. It will be tough to beat those campaigns. I think that's why you see all these ports of ancient missions.

I would argue that there is also a big nostalgic appeal. But no doubt, cwc was a great campaign.

I go in Delta Force Black Hawk down and I see more payers than arma and that game is 4 or 5 years old now. Same with Joint Ops and dont get me started on COD series because COD has THOUSANDS of players still playing it. Different games but still a fact we don't have the audience for these huge battles in my opinion and the servers show it.

Well, billions of people eat at McDonalds, but that doesn't necessarily mean that their food is the best in the world.

What I am meaning to say is, mass appeal isn't always a stamp of quality.

I think I am gonna agree with Sparks for the first time.Nice points mate. thumbs-up.gif