Sign in to follow this  
ProfTournesol

WW1 Mod Expansion Pack

I'm currently working on an expansion pack for my WW1 mod already released.

It'll include (at least) :

- Previously released bug fix, modified anims and anti aircraft artillery (to get a permanent download link) ;

- Other fighting countries (only infantry, sometimes cavalry) : Entente : Serbia, Italy, maybe Rumania ; Central Powers : Bulgaria and Ottoman Empire.

- Expansion of already released countries : French colonial infantry, cavalry units.

- horse Tranport wagons.

- maybe Trench artillery (mortars).

Thanks to Arremba of Pedagne mod for his help (particularly Italian hit sounds), and to Gokhan of Turkish Union mod for his support.

French cavalry (most of the cavalry units will use cavalry carbine or spear, both with non scripted attack to enable MP) :

ww1cav1ql7.jpg

German cavalry :

ww1cav2kz2.jpg

French colonial infantry :

ww1frecolxk2.jpg

Italian infantry (regular, bersaglieri and arditi) :

ww1ita1fb9.jpg

Yep, i did vary horse colour (automatically and randomly, three colours available).

Some other pictures :

Ottoman infantry :

ww1turze4.jpg

Bulgarian infantry :

ww1bulgfx2.jpg

Serbian infantry (early and then reequiped by the French) :

ww1sered4.jpg

British cavalry (before horse colour changes) :

ww1cav3ls1.jpg

I'm glad to see that there is an expansion pack in the works! Very nice job on it so far, I can't wait to see some mortars.

Prof,

British cavalry was equipped with a bamboo lance in 1914, sometimes with red white fanion. Later the lance was less common and units like the Aussie Light Horse had none. In the german cavalry all types (hussars, cuirassiers, dragoons, uhlans) had a steel tube lance with a back white fanion. At least the british and I think the french cavalry had straight swords, the latter sabers of prewar type.

Anyway, looking forward to the extenstion!

diggin

@ diggin.robat : yes, i'll give lance or carbine to French, German and British cavalrymen, and only carbine to units/ countries not using the lance (ie Austrians for example), which was quite uncommon at that time (the lance became a military fashion, quite surprinsigly, as it was very difficult to use it effectively for not perfectly trained soldiers). I won't add the sword.

The lance was either made of bamboo or metal, sometimes both. I'll make both. About the fanion, i'm afraid it wasn't used during campaigns (and i'm figuring only late war cavalrymen, to ease my work, as uniforms was mainly infantry ones).

In fact, cavalry was mainly used in the Eastern fronts in the first years of the war, as the first cavalry attacks in the Western fronts were disastrous. Most of the cavalrymen became foot soldiers on those fronts. Then, cavalry revives at the end of the war, with some isolated brilliant actions for the Entente.

I think i'll add cavalrymen for the following countries :

- France (done)

- Great Britain (done)

- Germany (done)

- Austria

- Russia

- Italy

and OF COURSE Australian light horses.

The horse will be randomly available in three colours (brown, black and grey). The equipement/saddle is more detailed as it was in the Napoleonic mod, the attack isn't scripted anymore.

I'll add a generic horse drawn transport wagon, the same for all countries, enhanced/retextured/with more details model from my Napoleonic mod.

Ok ok, some news : going on working on the cavalry :

German hussar (also available with a helmet), and Aussie light horse with the "emeu" feather on the hat :

ww1cav4wk0.jpg

Russian generic cavalryman and Russian late shock soldier (Kornilov Rgt, the imperial monogram of the Adrian helmet isn't visible on that picture, but it is here), and Austrian generic cavalryman. Notice the horse on the left side, i modified its gear.

ww1cav5hq2.jpg

Next : Italian generic cavalryman, and Russian cossack. Then that'll be all for the cavalry (unless some specific demand is made...).

Ah, I forgot several times to say that our Polish friend named Bociek78 sent me a very nice Mark I tank, but it's more done on the ArmA standard regarding to polycount and texture sizes, so i don't know if i'll be able to put it in Ofp, but i'll try. Thanks to him anyway.

Hi, some news :

- Italian generic cavalryman done, i've still the cossack in the pipe ;

- Added barrel recoil to each field and AA gun, as requested earlier ;

- i'm still working on the horse drawn wagon.

Other projets in the pipe for that (final ?) release :

- trench mortars (two or three models, German / French / British) ;

- following Belgerot's idea, i'll add some generic generals to the main countries' armies.

Any ideas for these projets (including pictures sources) or other ideas are welcome...for/by those who are still interested in that game.  icon_rolleyes.gif

The horse drawn waggon is finished, available in three versions : transport, ambulance or supply waggon. Each version is also available unharnessed, as objects.

ww1wag2yi8.jpg

ww1wag1bn3.jpg

And yes, the driver is holding the reins. Yes, there is water in the small bucket and in the wood barrel.

Prof. T

WOW!, That looks simply amazing.

Can't wait for the release.

Agreed, great job on paying attention to so many of the smallest details!

Any ideas for these projets (including pictures sources) or other ideas are welcome...for/by those who are still interested in that game.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Nice stuff altogther, can´t wait to sent some uhlans around for patrol or raid an allied wagon trek. And here my ideas begin:

-It would be nice to have more 1914 units like german Jägers with shako and 98a rifles. Also french zouaves and other Tirailleurs, Légion Éntrangère from Africa. Cavlary could be french dragoon, chasseurs and cuirasiers. Some armed franctireurs on neutral side. They would add to the colourful infantry in 1914 to 1916. Also 1915 transition uniforms are interesting: sawn off pickles on the Haube, french trials with horizon bleu, trench raiders with clubs, automatic weapons, shotguns...

- You already planned trench mortars, that´s great! What about rifle grenadiers (french Vivien Bessiers for instance)?.

- 1914 units should n´t have grenades, as they were thought only for engineers or pioneers for fortress warfare. They only became  widespread when trench warfare was beginning in Winter 1914 and then mostly as improvised items. Many interesting solutions were used in 1915 when in 1916 the german Stielhandgranate, Eierhandgranate, Mills Bombs (different types) and french Citron and OF 1916 were most common. German grenades relied on blast effect, as allied grenades where mostly on fragmentation. Germans used concentrated charges / bundles of seven grenades for anti tank action. Rifle grenades also had their fixed roles in combat squads. It would be nice to have grenades with different distances and time delay.

- Heavy MGs are a story of their own. I remember there is a script for area firing. All those Maxim Systems (08, Vickers) had 250 rounds belt and were able to give sustained fire, not only bursts. Hotchkiss had 24 to 30 rounds strips, which could be linked together, to give a relative sustained fire. Traverse was small, ca. 30° to both sides for 08, Vickers and even Hotchkiss, Puteaux. It was not the traverse ability of the MGs with made them a sweeping weapon, but their angled positioning to enemy attack lanes enfilading them with their elliptical "beaten zone". Only improvised or later tripods enabled a greater traverse. Like in Lib Mod it would be nice to push the MG to left or right, if necessary.

German 08/15 could be fired from the hip, but it was quite impossible to shoot it standing from the shoulder properly.

- All vehicles guns need iron sights. FT-17 turret could traverse a full 360° and there was a type with a small 37mm gun.  Using the multi turret script would be nice, to make full use of all the weapons at different angles the tanks had.

The tanks  were nearly impregnable to small arms fire. Even the FT-17 had the thickest armour of the allied tanks. Only concentrated MG fire on vision and weapon slits or exhaust grates were effective. The germans used the "SmK"-Munition, which had a hardened steel core. It could penetrate armour at close range.

I don´t know, how difficult it is to give the tanks a detailed damage script (like in Lib Mod). But just taking them out by constant small arm fire or grenade throwing does not do them justice.  What about the script for multi turreted vehicles?

just my zwei Pfennige

smile_o.gif

Robat

@ diggin.robat : nice ideas overall, but it would be a lot of works...i'll see what i can do...

Some generals trials (French one is also available with a helmet) :

ww1genwp4.jpg