Sign in to follow this  
Wingnut Master

Parachutes

Well if I may make a suggestion, not shure whether this has been brought up or not but anyways...

My opinion is that the current parachutes in ArmA are very annoying, is there any chance that in ArmA II we could maybe get a better more realistic parachute/ and landing animation for it?

There are a few things in the parachutes that need changing in the new game.

- Parachute bug where you fall to your death in MP

- Parachute always tries to point north

- Movement is very glitched in MP because of individual wind/other calculations

- No control over the parachute

- Parachute itself is indestructible

agree with you celery

i would add that parachute should be an item that you would need to actually pick up, just like you do with NVG, Binos, LD...

-Parachues in ArmAII should be opened by player, not automatically.

-There should be a good animation of sky diving, this way we could have some HALO jumps even in Single Player...

Im sure it would be a great fun to aprove sky diving from 20000m biggrin_o.gif

-We should be able to control them, at least as a SpecOp. Bis... the modern parachutes allow you to land with 1cm precision.

I'd like to say a few things about parachute implementation:

1, if BIS are going to make un-steerable parachutes, then at least use a model not depicting a parachute of the steerable variety - complete with steering cables. i'd prefer steerable chutes to be implemented, but obviously not all soldiers would use them.

2. please, BIS, don't make parachutes SOLID. anyone here ever landed with their back to the side of a hill, only to have the parachute lift you into the air because it hits the ground when doing the 'folding' animation, then detect you are no longer on the ground, so it redeploys, etc. trapping you in an endless loop?

It would be nice if the parachute part is more indepth.

But what annoys me the most is the fact that non-steerable parachutes are ram-air parachutes. Ram-air parachutes are like wings, they just don't sink to well except when you are stalling it. And using it as a escape device or for low altitude mass droppings is just plain suicide. The military uses rounds and mostly with static lines for LALO jumps and ram-airs for HALO and HAHO jumps.

Only ram-airs in ArmA, but the icon still shows a round. It's kinda immersion breaking for me, actually, it annoys the hell out of me. :p I don't mind the strange blur in freefall, I can look past that, and the foward falling in neutral body position too. But no rounds? The manual states that it's perfectly safe to use a parachute from 80 meter, no way I would ever do that, it's even dangerous with a round!

Sweat is almost breaking out if I see this feet were Russians are jumping from 100m. :eek:

It seems that BASE jumping is loved by the military in ArmA, at least with all that very low altitude jumping with ram-airs. Ram-airs are less reliable than rounds.

Just had to get it off my chest. ;)

Old thread?

Why make a new one if its name would most likely be "Parachutes" as well?

Just reacted to how all that was previously discussed seemed to be what we wanted for Arma2 :)

In any case, you can still script a "manual deployment" using "ParachuteBigWest" as the parachute. Player will look as he is attached to it, but his actual soldier model won't be shown. Seemed safe when I tried from 100m.

For a really quick and really dirty try, add this to a true triggers condition field:

xx = "ParachuteBigWest" createVehicle [getPos player select 0, getPos player select 1, (getPos player select 2)+100]; player moveInDriver xx; (vehicle player) setPos [getPos player select 0, getPos player select 1, (getPos player select 2)+100];

Edit: Maybe attachTo would work better, using a dummy object in between? But I'm content now that we have steerable chutes.