Sign in to follow this  
wld427

Grass removal

im ding the BIS editing tutorial for ramadi island. Ive pretty uc learned to do everything but remove the grass. it still shows thru my runway pieces i have placed. How do i remove it?

The runway objects are too big to have their own roadway LODs, so you need to add invisible roadway tiles, I'm not sure what their name was, but if you find some invisible pieces in the roads folder it's probably them.

Ok not a big deal.... but how big is each one of the sqares? Does teh red dot equal onte terrain square? and do i need to place one for eace terrain square thats under a runway?

Ok not a big deal.... but how big is each one of the sqares? Does teh red dot equal onte terrain square? and do i need to place one for eace terrain square thats under a runway?

Terrain is irrelevant, your runway ought to be flat anyway.

The invisible road tile (called road_invisible.p3d) is square and two of them should cover the exact width of the runway objects.

Example:

94989275gt0.jpg

First off thanks for the help. Maybee i screwed something up but when i try to add the invisible road to the roads selection it says that its not a road type object.....

then when i add it as an artificial selection it shows only as a small red dot not a regular object square.....im using the models form the BIS MLODs as per the tutorial. Do i maybee need to put the ODOL one in the folder?

any idea.....?

just a heads up for anyone having the same problem.....

you need to open the roads PBO from the game and replace the invisible road in your P:\CA folder wsitht eh ODOL formt he game

The best way to stop grass from showing on your Runway is to put the Mesto texture under it using your Mask_lco, if you use invisible roads this can confuse AI when you come to configuring the taxi-ways. You will also get a nice finish on the runway edges (same as Sahrani)

Also you cannot use the roads.pbo that came with the game, you must use the un-binarised pbo that was released in the sample packs (forget their names now) sample environment I think?

To further add to what Aussie said...

With any of the 'road' / 'runway' types of models that you place on top of the terrain you should try and use some distinctly different terrain texture underneath the locations of the model parts.

Hopefully in ArmA2 they'll have a more robust set of code around this area.

The terrain texture doesn't specifically have to be mesto but some 'surface' whereby you can specify a different dust, sound and no clutter.

The dust & sound should be a resonable approximation to the dust & sound you have defined for the texture on the 'road' / 'runway' parts as well.

The reason to do this is there is some ordering issues with flat models placed on top of terrain, whereby the sound & dust values from the underlying terrain sneak through the road/runway model and override the values associated with the models textures.

This is the work-around I've used until the BIS devs. bring the usage of dust, sound and clutter in-sync with the terrain textures you specify in your mask_lco.png.

Imo, this is a better solution than using invisible models underneath your road/runway because of the AI thing Aussie mentioned and because of the isssues I mentioned.

btw, the only reason you can't use the odol road models from the game roads.pbo is because the named selections in the memory lods of these models are lowercase. Visitor3 has a hard coded requirement for uppercase road named selection points...

Sure you can insert them into your island .pew but V3 can't make use of them when doing any of it's script based functions and binarize will have trouble consturcting a working AI path roadway network from the odol models - i think, not 100% sure on that though... educated guess...