Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

ArmA2 - The Xbox 360 thread

It will take some of you guys a little while to realize that BIS is not the same company they were. They no longer treat their customers with respect. Now they act like the big named hated developers such as EA.

Why do you blame BI for this? if you want to play this game then buy a PC, i'm an ex-ps3 owner and when i learned that it won't be on the PS3 i started to build a PC and here i'm enjoying ArmA II and would never go back to console gaming. This game was a wake up call to me to switch to PC gaming, i have never played a game on the PS3 for more than few weeks, while i played ArmA for almost a year. If you can afford having a console and a PC then great if not then set your priorities base on the games you like, very simple.

Why do you blame BI for this? if you want to play this game then buy a PC, i'm an ex-ps3 owner and when i learned that it won't be on the PS3 i started to build a PC and here i'm enjoying ArmA II and would never go back to console gaming. This game was a wake up call to me to switch to PC gaming, i have never played a game on the PS3 for more than few weeks, while i played ArmA for almost a year. If you can afford having a console and a PC then great if not then set your priorities base on the games you like, very simple.
But the point is ... ArmA2 was to be on a console too!! (at least BIS gave us that impression)

You talk about 'simple' ... Really simple would be if BIS stated lonnnngggg ago that there would be NO console version, if BIS would have done that, this Thread wouldn't have existed and 85+ pages long.

Anyone want to send a mail to BIS?

Just because BIS took 'next gen consoles' off the listed platforms on their site doesn't mean they canceled production of the console version.

Maybe they were sick and tired of getting e-mails asking when the console versions would be finished. Maybe they took it off because the console versions won't be released until late next year. Who knows?

But BIS has stated a desire to make a console port on several occasions in several interviews, and unless BIS makes an official announcement that confirms that the console versions have been scrapped I will continue to wait for a console port of ArmA 2.

/rant

Maybe they were sick and tired of getting e-mails asking when the console versions would be finished.

All valid questions to ask via email or otherwise, if you ask me. They could avoid such questions via email if they would give some concrete info here. I'm not sure that this is the reason, though and again this kind of information policy is starting to turn off folks who are interested in the company and their games. This silly 'guessing around' with almost no info at all to base any valid speculation on, is what people in this thread here are sick and tired of. No matter how realistic the Codies game will be if BI doesn't change their way to communicate with their fans here, it soon won't matter anymore whether they publish the game for any console or not - because then folks are already playing a game on the very same subject. And the one who comes last always has a hard stand.

Grim

If BIS still is 'in' for a console (read 360) version perhaps it would be wise to do that EXTRA MILE and have it with NATAL out-of-the-box

I read NATAL is still far away (end 2010? or so) and i was not instant believer but perhaps it (NATAL) really will work. We all know Arma2 is pretty much perfect with TrackIR5 so imagine ArmA2/360 with native NATAL appearing on 360 (the head tracking part).

Were other shooters still have to do all the development, ArmA2 is already there. Just swap TrackIR for NATAL and bingo:)

It would mean late 2010 as earliest ... so the wait will be long, but a pretty much perfect 'excuse' for BIS to not release Arma2 on 360 atm

my current .02 cents:)

Now they act like the big named hated developers such as EA.

I take that as a compliment, EA have taken massive strides over recent years to improve community support and feedback, not least chatting to fans of their games on forums, providing feedback on forums, answering questions, as well as providing info and updates on services like Twitter. Perhaps if you tried removing your blinkers now and again to move into 2009 you'd see that yourself.

As for a console version of ArmA2, it still remains the same, nothing is decided, nothing is undecided, nothing is confirmed, nothing is unconfirmed, PC version takes precedent, getting it to a position everyone is happy with is the number 1 priority, no more, no less.

As for a console version of ArmA2, it still remains the same, nothing is decided, nothing is undecided, nothing is confirmed, nothing is unconfirmed

Can't you really understand why folks who would love to pay for this game on their 360, who could be patient and calmly wait for the release no matter how long it'd take, and to promote it among their friends (and many have a really large buddy list on Xbox Live) are slowly getting tired of statements like yours?

Statements that actually don't say anything and don't help at all to stop the confusion about the possibility of a 360 ARmA2. This thread is pinned and then unpinned, the platform announcement first says PC and consoles, then it only says PC without any explanation, folks are running around on different fora telling everybody 'I know someone from BI and he says it's cancelled' and stuff like that.

And we come here to the BI forum and simply want to know if there's something worth waiting for or not, we want to know if BI still want to have our money or not, if we should wait for their game or just play the Codies game because that's all we will get simwise. And what are we told here?

'nothing is decided, nothing is undecided, nothing is confirmed, nothing is unconfirmed'

Some folks might think that comes close to cynicism...I mean this is not a zen forum where such 'answers' might be helpful, it's also not about the great Tao and how to experience it by wu wei- it's all about a game that was clearly announced and about the communication (or better: non-communication) with your customers.

Grim

slowly getting tired of statements like yours?

If they're getting tired they should move on to other games, can't get blood from a stone, nor can you get an announcement from somewhere where one doesn't exist.

If you're prefer we can simply close the 360/PS3 threads because you find it tiresome we can't confirm anything?

The answer is not about being helpful, or unhelpful, I answer it as much as I am able to, if the answer is unsatisfactory I would suggest you stop asking the question because the answer is not going to change for some time for reasons we've already mentioned, PC focus now, publisher needs to be signed for the 360 version before we can do anything with it in terms of announcing we're developing it, etc. etc.

Edited by Placebo

Is there any reason that you always try to make folks go away if they have questions? I mean 'if you don't like it then move on to another game or shall we close the thread about the console versions?' is certainly not helpful in any way to keep up a friendly communication with customers.But be that as it may I have one question left, would be nice to get a non-zenny answer:

I would suggest you stop asking the question because the answer is not going to change for some time for reasons we've already mentioned, PC focus now, publisher needs to be signed for the 360 version before we can do anything with it in terms of announcing we're developing it, etc. etc.

If that is the case, if you are only allowed or able to talk about the console version(s) if there's a publisher signing a deal with BI to bring this game out, then why do we have all these interviews by BI employees, developers etc. on the videos we can find on youtube? Interviews where these folks freely talk about the 360 version, about the way how it is done in parallel to the PC version, showing stuff etc.. Does this mean at that time you had a publisher and now you don't have one? And if at that time there was no publisher why were you allowed to talk about the console version and now it's not possible anymore?

Thank you.

Grim

Is there any reason that you always try to make folks go away if they have questions?

Always? Don't exaggerate, I answer all questions I possibly can if and when I can, I do not however see any point in answering the same question time after time when the answer is always still the same, and that answer is apparently tiring for you?

If that is the case, if you are only allowed or able to talk about the console version(s) if there's a publisher signing a deal with BI to bring this game out, then why do we have all these interviews by BI employees, developers etc. on the videos we can find on youtube? Interviews where these folks freely talk about the 360 version, about the way how it is done in parallel to the PC version, showing stuff etc.. Does this mean at that time you had a publisher and now you don't have one? And if at that time there was no publisher why were you allowed to talk about the console version and now it's not possible anymore?

"all these interviews by BI employees"? I recall a possible one with a couple of causal answers to some questions that were slipped in off the cuff about a console version, am I missing others?

We've never had a publisher signed for any console version of ArmA2, and thus we have never officially announced any confirmed plans for any console version of ArmA2.

While I completely understand where you're coming from Grim, I'd rather not have a mod close the only thread dedicated to the console version of ArmA2.

PLEASE stop being confrontational with teh modz.

It's fine, he's just asking questions :)

PLEASE stop being confrontational with teh modz.

I'm not confrontational, as Placebo said, I'm just asking questions. I have no intention to attack him or anybody here personally, I'm sure he knows very well that warsim fans can be quite emotional about this so again, I don't think that he will close the thread because of my questions. Asking questions is not against the TOS here as far as I know.

I do not however see any point in answering the same question time after time when the answer is always still the same, and that answer is apparently tiring for you?

It's not just me if you read the postings in here. The whole thread is about guessing and speculation because the fans here don't know what to believe and what not. I was just adding my opinion to that, so please don't try to impute the whole 'ArmA2 for 360' shebang to me now.

We've never had a publisher signed for any console version of ArmA2, and thus we have never officially announced any confirmed plans for any console version of ArmA2.

Ok I'll leave it at that, but let me add that we at least (and I suppose that goes for many people out there) disagree about the nature of a platform announcement on a game companys website. If it first says 'for PC and consoles' then this pretty much is considered by many folks as an official announcement and consequently the removal of such an announcement any time later looks like it's cancelled. That was indeed the reason that such a posting/question appeared here in the first place about this.

Thanks for your replies.

Grim

Placebo theres a couple of videos where a console version is talked about, one where Marek talks about moving into the console market and another where the other guy (who i have fotgotten the name of right now :p ) talks about developing for both PC and consoles as well as controls, the editor etc.

Just pointing it out. :)

Ivan, yes two, not official announcements, casual mentions :)

Hello gentleman, I started this thread to help build a console community for this game. I am one of the biggest fans of BOHEMIA and OFP/ARMA games and have a tone of respect for them.

The fact is they stated they wanted to make a console game a long time ago and the truth is they have a somewhat working version of the game right now but sometimes in the business world things can change on a fly.

We all know the PC game is the bread and butter of this company and most likely all current resources are focus on improving the PC version right now as well as another PROJECT that needs to be work on for the PC ie Carrier Command.

I know this game could work great on a console (gameplay and the controls) just look at OFP ELITE. The real question is how well can it sell within the console market and will a publisher take a gamble and layout the money to bring it to the market this is the key.

I feel BOHEMIA should give some kind of hint they still have hopes and or plans in the future to try to bring this game to the console market. This would help maintain the community for this game right now.

Maybe the powers to be are waiting to see how OFPDR does in sales compared to BFBC2, CODMF2 ect. To see if console players will play a more realistic game then the same old run and gun games.

THE ONLY THING WE CAN DO IS TO WAIT AND LET BOHEMIA KNOW WE ARE HERE IF THEY MAKE THE GAME.

FOR ALL XBOX PLAYERS GO GET AN OLD BOX AND A COPY OF THE ELITE. IT'S STILL BETTER THEN ANY GAME ON THE 360 RIGHT NOW HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!

I STILL PLAY WITH A GOOD GROUP OF PLAYERS MOST NIGHTS AROUND 9-12 PM EST.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

Thanks for the tip on the original Xbox game, but I'm sticking with ArmA2 for the PC for now.

I have two copies of ArmA1 and OFP for the home LAN too.

I own 2 360's and one PS3.

Will I buy OFP-DR? Yes but only after I read the reviews.

I'll probably even buy ArmA2:360 as well (again after the reviews).

Thanks for the tip on the original Xbox game, but I'm sticking with ArmA2 for the PC for now.

I have two copies of ArmA1 and OFP for the home LAN too.

I own 2 360's and one PS3.

Will I buy OFP-DR? Yes but only after I read the reviews.

I'll probably even buy ArmA2:360 as well (again after the reviews).

I wish to buy ARMA 2 for PC, but right now I do not have a gaming computer. I wish to buy a good gaming setup and a copy within the next three years.

I will most likely be investing in Dragon Rising on the 360, and will most definitely buy ARMA2 if it comes out for the 360.

The thing is, I'm not sure if a console version is confirmed for DR, and from what I've read here, ARMA2 may not be hitting consoles for quite some time, if at all.

Edited by Quiet Blue Jay
typos

The thing is, I'm not sure if a console version is confirmed for DR

Codemasters confirmed a version for all platforms (PC, 360 and PS3) from day one and nothing has changed about that. The game will be published for PC and both consoles in October.

Grim

Man, this game isn't going to happen on the consoles.

1) Neither console has strong enough hardware to drive this game at 720p.

2) Neither console's controllers have enough buttons to efficiently manage all of the game's tasks.

3) The game's built in campaign and multiplayer is probably the weakest thing the game has to offer. Even if they both work perfectly, nobody is going to be happy about it.

4) To expand upon point #3, these things simply aren't going to work properly. The game's buggy nature is simply going to frustrate console players.

Bohemia Interactive doesn't have enough resources or manpower to fuel anything other than a PC exclusive release. A 360 release holds profit but the 360 just isn't built for simulations, and nor is the 360's fanbase. They'd have to be able to keep patching the game on both fronts, and keep both fanbases happy. If you ask me, they're barely keeping their head over the water on the PC release.

Man, this game isn't going to happen on the consoles.

1) Neither console has strong enough hardware to drive this game at 720p.

2) Neither console's controllers have enough buttons to efficiently manage all of the game's tasks.

3) The game's built in campaign and multiplayer is probably the weakest thing the game has to offer. Even if they both work perfectly, nobody is going to be happy about it.

4) To expand upon point #3, these things simply aren't going to work properly. The game's buggy nature is simply going to frustrate console players.

Bohemia Interactive doesn't have enough resources or manpower to fuel anything other than a PC exclusive release. A 360 release holds profit but the 360 just isn't built for simulations, and nor is the 360's fanbase. They'd have to be able to keep patching the game on both fronts, and keep both fanbases happy. If you ask me, they're barely keeping their head over the water on the PC release.

When i read post like this i wonder if Operation Flashpoint: Elite really does exist or is it just a figment of my imagination.

When i read post like this i wonder if Operation Flashpoint: Elite really does exist or is it just a figment of my imagination.

It exists, with mediocre scores to all around. On top of that, it came out 4 years after the PC counterpart, and probably had the ugliest graphics of any Xbox game ever made.

Sure, I could see ArmA 2 down the road being released on the 360 in 2013, getting mediocre reviews. That's the only way this port is going to happen.