Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

ArmA2 - The Xbox 360 thread

The Xbox was significantly more powerful than the PC OpF was designed for.

The immensely more lucrative Ps2 was significiantly less powerful.

No Ps2 version was ever made.

You want it? You should have it.

My best bet, next gen consoles come in two years time. They will port it when it is easy to do and not bother when it isn't, just like last time.

Yeah, but if that is really the case, why isn't there a Arma1/360?? Surely ArmA1 would run exceptional on 360 ... AND furthermore BIS could have launched it in say 2007 and have the 'realism' segment all for themselves.

No Arma1/360 saw the light. Because it was expected ArmA2 would be on next-gen console (as stated on the website)

So don't argue that BIS will wait for XBOX3 in 2011+ ... it makes no sense (momentum wise, i mean all that waiting) and perhaps by that time CM will have OFPDR2 ready for launch and OFPDR-universe will have settled as a new/known/respected console franchise, making it double difficult to create your own niche.

Just my .02 cents

Edited by maxqubit

Anyone got results from sales they've hit yet? Must be making alot of profit in America

If ARMA2 does well with PC sales and a console publisher steps to the plate and BOHEMIA can get the framerate to work well on the 360 we will have a game.

We need to wait for a few months to see how well the game sales in all markets and if a publisher will take the lead for the 360.

I hate to say this but most people on the 360 still have no clue what this game is all about and how to play this game with real team focus.

Somebody a few pages back stated that BFBC has great team play what a joke. You can only talk to three team mates and the main focus of gold rush is to rush to the gold box. YES RUSH, not move in slow in a tight line formation to take out a target you run and shoot the crap out of everything you see and if you die no big deal because one of you team mates are still there and now your back running around like a chicken just shooting at everything you see.

Most console players have no clue what the gameplay is really like but this does not mean they will not love this game if they get the opportunity.

Some of you guys will attack me but this is the truth about most console gamers. They just don't know because most games for the consoles are like BF/COD. The old GR and the Elite for the old box was the only opportunity they had.

Sales are going well, but we need to wait to see all the markets. Lets hope it hits number 1 in the NA market.

My big gripe is that they had it on there website. TBA! Which mean's they where going to make one. Now it's gone and they won't let us know anything. At this point they lied to us.

My big gripe is that they had it on there website. TBA! Which mean's they where going to make one. Now it's gone and they won't let us know anything. At this point they lied to us.

where? it still says next-gen consoles under quick info-platforms at http://www.bistudio.com/arma2.html

Well I would like both PC and console.

I could play co-op with my nephew on Xbox Live. It would really change the landscape of shooters on that system. A lot of Xbox guys also play PC, so hopefully we can all get this awesome game.

Nothing even comes close to the open-ness of this game, that realness, for me anyway.

Cheers to all tactical gamers.

*sigh* I'm actually getting a bit tired of all the same points being brought up over and over and over.

The controls are no problem if done right - it was said a zillion times already that BI made a good job with OFP: Elite and that the controls do work fine. So why shouldn't it be possible to do on the 360?

And all the talking about how much more powerful PCs are...again and again...I mean we do have so many games that look absolut great on the 360 and even if all the stuff that happens in a open-world milsim like ArmA2 might lead to lower graphics than on the high-end PCs - so what? This game is not about graphics alone and the 360 is much more powerful than the Xbox 1 so we should at least get a decent looking game this time. Would work for me. (GTA IV is a big world, too and looks very good, so game developers are able to do such stuff on a console)

But all this long time now with lots of guesses and comments and arguments from the fans who want to have the game (and from the PC boys of whom many don't want to see it happen) on the 360 and no recent comments by BI has brought me now to the point that I actually no longer care whether this game will be published on the 360 or not.

I'm with Max here, I have so many great games on the 360, Codemasters is obviously able to publish a sim on the 360 (and yes I know, ArmA2 is of course a lot 'simier' than this mere arcade shooter, everything is better with ArmA2 etc.... - so don't start this debate here again), and we even have semi-realistic Tac Shooters like the GRAW series which offer an excellent gaming experience, besides all the other games not being shooters - I really no longer care. If BI is able to publish it, then that's great and I'll buy and play it for a looooong time, that's for sure. If BI for whatever reason can't or don't want to publish it on the 360, then so be it.

Grim *tired of hoping and guessing* :tempt:

Im with him!

Good post matey.;)

To be honest i tried out the demo yesturday on the PC i have downstairs which needless to say doesn't get used often by me, but it would definetl be more suited to Xbox controller in my opinion, especially for driving, my heli crashed, quickly:p

From my posts in system/specs

I took a 50$ risk, bought a 2nd hand AGP 7900GS. Should arrive tomorrow. I hope it fits in my XCCUBE (and PSU will power it, guess so, i once had a 7600GT running). Anyway if all goes right i will have (don't laugh, it 6 years old):

P4 2.8Ghz (single core ... is there anything else??? lol:))

AGP 7900GS 512MB DDR(3 .. wow:))

2 GB RAM

M-Audio soundcard

(19" 1440x900 tft)

Seeing seany's specs there is hoping it actually will run ArmA2 (demo) because imo the P4 is below min specs.

Any thought's? Anyway, i'll see coming days. I'm just curious.

Well, it actually runs! :)

(the lowest of the lowest, but i just wanted to check out the demo, get the feel and see the editor. Imo it is immediately clear BIS had at least the 360 controller in mind. Xbox version?? Because 360 controller handles much more smooth than in ArmA1 ... anyway i won't bother you lot with my findings. I'll report to the XBOX 360 thread)

So my first impression?

ArmA2 is very suitable for 360 controller. Much more streamlined than ArmA1. BUT(!) did BIS have a XBOX version in mind or only the 360 Controller????? Because yes, there are the xbox buttons ABXY with the correct color but imo that doesn't say anything about xbox version.

But i sure hope they will make a 360 version, because as said ARMA2 has a certain smooth feel over it that wasn't present in ArmA1 and is (much) better than even Elite.

The editor of course is a joy:) and the gfx are great. Sure i can't enjoy them on my specs, but if i go slideshow things sure do look pretty (grass and all)

One last thing though. PC gaming is just not hassle free. I invested hours investigating, installing and tweaking just to get the pc running. Nope, i really prefer if BIS would make a 360 version of ArmA2. I'm sure it could be a glorious game running perfectly well on a 360 (+ some kind of editor plz!!!)

Also it's easier putting it on Xbox;

Open disk tray, put in Arma 2 disk, boom your done

PC;

Check to see if you have specs, if not go out & get specs (in a figure of speach), then, open disk tray & insert disk

If i'm wrong on the PC front dont get angry, i go on Xbox mostly but i know a bit on PC's to though

Also it's easier putting it on Xbox;

Open disk tray, put in Arma 2 disk, boom your done

PC;

Check to see if you have specs, if not go out & get specs (in a figure of speach), then, open disk tray & insert disk

If i'm wrong on the PC front dont get angry, i go on Xbox mostly but i know a bit on PC's to though

For me it will be open Steam, buy Arma 2, download. None of this primitive disc business. As for complaining about PC specs it would be like me complaining about buying an XBox game then wondering why it wont work on my 360.

Well good luck on the 360 front fellas, I really don't know what BIS will have to cut down to get it working on a 360.

For me it will be open Steam, buy Arma 2, download. None of this primitive disc business. As for complaining about PC specs it would be like me complaining about buying an XBox game then wondering why it wont work on my 360.

Well good luck on the 360 front fellas, I really don't know what BIS will have to cut down to get it working on a 360.

Install to HDD:)

(funny though, i bought ArmA online ... you get some 'activation tries' ... change some hw and one 1 gone)

Btw, 360 demo's are ... download ... play:)

ArmA2 demo was download ... install ... play ... error ... ask around in forum ... google ... hmmm some crazy dx9 thingy ... search dx9 stuff ... dl dx9 stuff ... install dx9 stuff ... play demo ... tweak config ... why doesn't xbox controller have invert look???? ... etc. etc. :P (and not forgetting ... before dl demo ... check min/req specs ... google for 'best hw' ... buy hw ... wait for it to arrive ... built in hw ... get driver ... rivatuner ... ntune ... tweak again ... are we ready for installing demo yet??? :P)

Edited by maxqubit

From my posts in system/specs

So my first impression?

ArmA2 is very suitable for 360 controller. Much more streamlined than ArmA1. BUT(!) did BIS have a XBOX version in mind or only the 360 Controller????? Because yes, there are the xbox buttons ABXY with the correct color but imo that doesn't say anything about xbox version.

But i sure hope they will make a 360 version, because as said ARMA2 has a certain smooth feel over it that wasn't present in ArmA1 and is (much) better than even Elite.

The editor of course is a joy:) and the gfx are great. Sure i can't enjoy them on my specs, but if i go slideshow things sure do look pretty (grass and all)

One last thing though. PC gaming is just not hassle free. I invested hours investigating, installing and tweaking just to get the pc running. Nope, i really prefer if BIS would make a 360 version of ArmA2. I'm sure it could be a glorious game running perfectly well on a 360 (+ some kind of editor plz!!!)

maxqubit hope you are enjoying the game and I am so jealous because my PC can just almost run ARMA1 playable lol.

I can Guaranty you and the console community that BOHEMIA developed A PC version and a XBOX 360 prototype version at the same time.

So yes the 360 controller was one of the main focus for the developers when making the PC version to get it right. Most games lose some of the functionally when they get ported over to a different system.

Not to start a fight with our PC brothers but one of the main reasons people say PC are better the console is because of the key board and the rat. Why would they want to use A 360 controller when playing a PC game. So if this is the case then the real reason are:

1. Better graphics

2. MOD's MOD's and MOD's

3. play for free

4. less little kids running around

5. More players in one game

1. Is still true, but with HD TV's graphics are getting better with console games, but the hardware of a console at this time will never be better then a PC if you spend the money, have some knowlegde to adjust the PC hardware and a lot of time to work on it.

2. Yes MOD's are cool to play with but it opens a can of worms for cheaters. Consoles have DLC but never as cool as MOD's from community.

3. Yes it's true, but what's 50$ per year to have a better communication system to play and find friends online.

4. Yes, but more and more older PC players are turning to consoles and the little kids have to grow up some time lol.

5. Yes, for Player vs player games more is better, but I feel OFP/ARMA games are better played with COOP MISSIONS AND MORE PLAYERS are not better in my opinion for this gameplay. 12-24 players would be great for me. The elite could handle 24 players. (PS. OFPDR 4 VS 4 CONSOLE GAMES WILL BE A JOKE).

The main issues if you looked at my outline are the true facts about the console version. BOHEMIA WANTS A CONSOLE GAME BUT SOME THINGS ARE OUT OF THERE HANDS RIGHT NOW ONLY TIME WILL TELL IF WE GET A GAME!

Menu system seems rather streamlined for 360 controller:) A bit Elite feel.

There are still things missing (invert look!!! and free look). I have to look at team commanding with controller (laterz). But it seems there was serious dev time put into the UI with controller:)

Menu system seems rather streamlined for 360 controller:) A bit Elite feel.

There are still things missing (invert look!!! and free look). I have to look at team commanding with controller (laterz). But it seems there was serious dev time put into the UI with controller:)

The 360 controller can be more than adequate for this milsim. I currently have the PC version and messing around with the Pinnacle Software to try and get a good config. If you look at the 360 controller there are virtually 31 keys (if they use for instance the LB as a SHIFT key).

And for game info you can DL to the HDD and have DLC off XBOX Live.

Another report from the Arma2 demo front (with some happy news i guess).

Singleplayer Scenario's ... is 99% sure THE 'lite editor' to be used in a possible 360 version. It is just a polished Elite EDITOR. Pick a template, place units, click waypoint, click behavior stuff.

So to me it is 99% sure 360 DOESN'T get a full editor but GETS a improved Elite editor. Still, not too shabby:) ... anyway, there still could be a slight change to download pc missions (as we did with modded xbox and/or Action Replay)

Btw, remember that in one video a dev (who was it?) talked about the template stuff ... well that IS the SinglePlayer scenario stuff. Prolly same thing can be used to make MP missions.

i wonder if the xbox version would be compatible with project natal.... kinda like using an ir tracker(or whatever its called)

Again, I think 1 problem (apart from the fact that they will have to cut down A2 fo Xbox), is the sever resolution limitation on a console port.

A2 is about large battles @ range ... I have had very little CQC in MP and for most of the missions.

So, how will solders look when they are @ that 600m-1K away @ 1080 on a 42" + Screen. They will be a few dots...thats it.

Really needs to be able to do 3500/4000x 2000 odd (16:9/10 etc) to actually be able to render enough pixel detail.

on a 42" - 50" screen 1080 is really a low and poor res for any distance rendering. Other games get away with it fine as they don't have any important objects up to 1K away that can kill you with a single shot.

Of course, even if there were screens that could support a higer res, the current gen consoles would kill themselves tring to output to it.

Its the reason that PC 30" screens default to 2560 x 1600, it keeps a sharp image as the size of the physical screen increases.

So if they do port it over, I feel that we are going to lose one of the main experiances of medium to long range combat.

Edited by MPBR

How would the controls even work on a console? This game has way too many controls and commands, either you'd need to use a Xbox keyboard and mouse or gameplay would suffer by forcing the player to scroll through a ton of menus just to choose an action.

How would the controls even work on a console? This game has way too many controls and commands, either you'd need to use a Xbox keyboard and mouse or gameplay would suffer by forcing the player to scroll through a ton of menus just to choose an action.
It works. Period:) Perhaps not as quick as keyboard but certainly 'easier' than looking up keys in the dark. In fact when my room is pitch black i don't even see the damned keys on the keyboard let alone 'find' the N=Nightvision key.

But granted, the full editor (which only can work with mouse/keyboard) won't make it to 360. But the Scenario's are 99% a 360 thing!

(Question, to make double sure, iirc Scenario's were NOT in ArmA1?? Anyone)

Edited by maxqubit

Here guys, dug this up for you. Hope it helps the morale.

I know this video and all this is great to hear, but BI should really say something offical now. I mean that's all fine with 'can't tell you unless we have a publisher' etc but they apparently did speak about this topic as we can see in this and other videos and these statements were official, no? So why not give the fans, who are guessing and hoping and losing confidence in a 360 version, some reason to relax? As long as BI is silent on the topic all these videos don't help much in keeping up the morale because why should we think that it's still relevant what he said months ago?

Grim