Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

ArmA2 - The Xbox 360 thread

It would perhaps make more sense to think that the patch was excellent because they do work on a console version...

Grim

How does that make any sense?

If they arn't working on a console version of ArmA 2 then they can focus more on releasing patches.

Saying the patch was good because they don't work an a console version is complete nonsense and I simply said that it would make more sense (not stating that it is so) to argue that the patch was good because they do work on such a version. Why? They improved their codes and engine for OFP: Elite on the Xbox 1 and that helped them to create the Arma games. So perhaps working with the platform that is more limited in a way helps them to improve the game on the PC as well? Don't know of course, just a thought.

Grim

hmmm http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1505943&postcount=1210

"Monday, 01 October 2007"... have anything more current, and when you post like you do you could have put your link in again.....But what do i know i am a "elitsts"

Yes, maybe you should have read the posts before typing anything. I address the fact that the link is a few years old. Look at the data and see that console sales have been on the rise. For Bohemia to have abandoned the business approach presented in the link would be strange (especially as what they say becomes truer with each passing year).

Edited by Buzzin Fr0g

Saying the patch was good because they don't work an a console version is complete nonsense and I simply said that it would make more sense (not stating that it is so) to argue that the patch was good because they do work on such a version. Why? They improved their codes and engine for OFP: Elite on the Xbox 1 and that helped them to create the Arma games. So perhaps working with the platform that is more limited in a way helps them to improve the game on the PC as well? Don't know of course, just a thought.

Grim

It's a very nice thought but unfortunately we all remember how smooth ArmA really was when it was first released. Serious performance issues that weren't fully fixed until patch 1.14 or so.

Yes, maybe you should have read the posts before typing anything. I address the fact that the link is a few years old. Look at the data and see that console sales have been on the rise. For Bohemia to have abandoned the business approach presented in the link would be strange (especially as what they say becomes truer with each passing year).

Yes but:

Console Release

There are various possible ways to look at a console release of ARMA 2: some hard core PC gamers don't like it much and are worried it may dumb down the game somehow. Others are happy to be able to look forward playing such a complex combat simulation on consoles.

Anyway, for Bohemia Interactive it is the only logical step. PC gaming is declining overall, especially (but not only) in North America. The PC platform suffers because of many severe compatibility and stability problems and the transition to Windows Vista does not help the platform in this regard over the short term. The good thing is that we are already experienced with consoles after our long struggle with Operation Flashpoint Elite for Xbox . We already know what we like and dislike regarding the development (and playing) of a combat simulation game on console, and with this hard earned knowledge we feel in the case of ARMA 2 this multiplatform approach is not only a commercially viable move but it also helps the game to be better on both platforms. All we want is to make it a more accessible and streamlined game than the current ARMA is. For that we do not need and do not want to remove anything that made Operation Flashpoint and ARMA so immersive and our focus on realism in the sense of open simulated game world will remain unchanged.

Guess what, things have changed a bit since Vista :D

Agreed. But I truly doubt Bohemia's business plans hinged entirely on the workability of Vista. We'll have to wait and see but they cite declining PC game sales as a factor, and both you and I know that sales shift has been towards consoles for some time. Until they release an update I take their statement as a whole as the official direction of the company. That's what the purpose of the post was. People kept flooding this thread with comments about how a console versions were impossible, etc. Bohemia hasn't said if they are able to get a console version working yet, but they have specified an interest in working on consoles (whether it's a new IP/offshoot or a port). I just sought to have the elitists stop trashing console users and instead realize at this point the company doesn't appear to be on the course that many PC users wish it was. Leave us console guys alone. We have nothing to do with whether or not the game is made available to us (as we, here on the forums, are but a tiny fraction of the market).

Thanks Buzzin I somehow missed that post of yours. I agree that the BI statement makes only sense if understood as the companys philosophy and until that post is not changed, we can perhaps still hope for a future version of the game for consoles. It might not the current console generation, though.

Grim

Most of you guys make me sick. Stop all the BS.

1. PC games have more power and better visuals.

2. Console games run smoother and are just easy to play with no up keep.

3. BOHEMIA wants to make a console game and are currently working on it.

4. BOHEMIA will never sell out the PC coomunity and the fanbase.

5. OFP ELITE worked great in gameplay and controls yes it was simplified.

6. Console games will not have the great community MOD's but BOHEMIA can make more money from DLC with little work.

7. We all want the same type of gameplay, Why are we all fighting.

8. We all want BOHEMIA to kick the crap out of CODEMASTERS.

9. With no new information about ARMA2 for the console it will be operation arrowhead.

10. Why do you think BOHEMIA picked the name.

I have played OFP CWC for years and still play the ELITE. If anyone says the two games did not play the same are full of crap. The ELITE did have better visuals and yes the mission editor was simplified but some of my better missions were made with the elite because it was easy to use and you could fully understand all the waypoints.

Just stop with all the crap and wait. Let us console guys have this thread to talk about what we want and not what you the PC boys don't want.

I guess thats those who doesn't agree with you that ArmA 2 needs to come on console,,,, ohh well :o

1. PC games have more power and better visuals.

2. Console games run smoother and are just easy to play with no up keep.

3. BOHEMIA wants to make a console game and are currently working on it.

4. BOHEMIA will never sell out the PC coomunity and the fanbase.

5. OFP ELITE worked great in gameplay and controls yes it was simplified.

6. Console games will not have the great community MOD's but BOHEMIA can make more money from DLC with little work.

7. We all want the same type of gameplay, Why are we all fighting.

8. We all want BOHEMIA to kick the crap out of CODEMASTERS.

9. With no new information about ARMA2 for the console it will be operation arrowhead.

10. Why do you think BOHEMIA picked the name.

I have played OFP CWC for years and still play the ELITE. If anyone says the two games did not play the same are full of crap. The ELITE did have better visuals and yes the mission editor was simplified but some of my better missions were made with the elite because it was easy to use and you could fully understand all the waypoints.

Just stop with all the crap and wait. Let us console guys have this thread to talk about what we want and not what you the PC boys don't want.

__OK__

For gamers who are waiting for news of a console game from BOHEMIA just stop playing all the crap games and get back on OFP ELITE still the best console game todate. I and a few friends still play most nights look me up on XBOX live gamertag AVIBIRD 1.

For gamers who are waiting for news of a console game from BOHEMIA just stop playing all the crap games and get back on OFP ELITE still the best console game todate. I and a few friends still play most nights look me up on XBOX live gamertag AVIBIRD 1.

its not backwards compatible is it?

cuz i dont know if my xbox even works anymore

Doesn't VBS's existence pretty much guarantee BI will keep the Arma series complex? I hate console simplification of great PC games as much as anyone (supreme commander being the latest victim:mad:), but I honestly believe BI will stay true to the series even if they can eek something out onto the consoles.

Perhaps BIS can reach out to another independent team that can partner with them to make a PC to console port of Arrow Head, though there are not many AAA Indies left out there, good ones any way.

THIS IS A VERY SMART AND WISE MAN.

Originally Posted by itsme

@ Flash Thunder

Because I got this feeling that this game is going to be the last in the Arma series, I think BIS will give it everything, so will let them take their time

Hi itsme

I think this 100% wrong. I think BIS will now start to leverage the Real Virtuality Engine; using it create masses more games based on it, not just the ArmA franchise but Sci Fi, historical, RPG and other game genres and concepts.

Properly managed and exploited the Real Virtuality Engine could take over a sizable chunk of the gaming market.

The other major thing will be the shift of the engine to the console platforms.

Kind Regards walker

You are only a bullet away from being stupid.

The hell? You want them to concentrate on bringing OFP: Elite over to the 360 (while ArmA II and OA are definitely in need of a lot of TLC) where they'll undoubtedly make much less return on their efforts than they would if they kept working on OA? What games are you talking about? The last time I recall anything official being stated about a console release was way back before ArmA II was released, and even then it was a very "Eh... Well, it may come on to next gen consoles" response.

Take this thread for example. There are very few people actually in the same state of mind as you are. BIS is not going to make money off a 360 game if so little people are going to buy and play it. And frankly, I'm not looking forward to attracting the same people that got attracted to that "other" game when it was released on consoles. But again, you'd know about that. :j:

The hell? You want them to concentrate on bringing OFP: Elite over to the 360 (while ArmA II and OA are definitely in need of a lot of TLC) where they'll undoubtedly make much less return on their efforts than they would if they kept working on OA? What games are you talking about? The last time I recall anything official being stated about a console release was way back before ArmA II was released, and even then it was a very "Eh... Well, it may come on to next gen consoles" response.

Take this thread for example. There are very few people actually in the same state of mind as you are. BIS is not going to make money off a 360 game if so little people are going to buy and play it. And frankly, I'm not looking forward to attracting the same people that got attracted to that "other" game when it was released on consoles. But again, you'd know about that. :j:

Most ppl on these forums know a lot about games and playing them but not to much about the concept of a business , any business that is about to expand in the form of making new products , most have departments call r&d or research and development ,before this product is released , a sort of testing stage , then the project management team takes over to allocate the resources to all ongoing projects in developement , all companys have a support team ( customer services) for products that are on the consumers market , most of the time this will be a small

team, the freed resources can then be allocated to the relevent parts or departments of a company , so on going projects can be carried out in the structure or manner set out by the comapny ( project management) ...

Any body who writes such stupid things about , if they work on this 360 game they will not be able to sort out patches etc etc for arma pc ..

then all you are really saying is the structure and purpose of the company

doesn't know a thing about business ... i am sure they have made many games , that says something , doesn't it .......

One day you may even see a game called Real Virtuality earth , well when we have computers powerful enough to run such a idea ...

Edited by cnickcj

The hell? You want them to concentrate on bringing OFP: Elite over to the 360

Afaik any backwards compatibility of a game is done by MS, so to make OFP: Elite run on the 360 is not in the hands of BI. I might be wrong, but I doubt it ;-)

Grim

Afaik any backwards compatibility of a game is done by MS, so to make OFP: Elite run on the 360 is not in the hands of BI. I might be wrong, but I doubt it ;-)

Grim

Wasn't CM involved in OPF:E btw?

Wasn't CM involved in OPF:E btw?

Well they published it, and they got slaughtered by us in MP play tests, so yes they were involved :)

Well they published it, and they got slaughtered by us in MP play tests, so yes they were involved :)

Good to see BIS beats CM in more ways than one. :D

...they got slaughtered by us in MP play tests...

"Oi, mate, where's the jump button?"

Just some funny infomation. I had helios the main guy on the codemasters forum on my friend list. I never saw him on OFPDR online however, a few weeks after COD MW2 come out he was playing it every night. So I wrote a post on the codemasters forum asking why he would play COD and not OFPDR if he wants people to play and conitnue to buy the DLC. I ask him was he looking to see how the online play was so he could tell the codemasters developers how bad OFPDR plays. The next day I was told from other members of the MOD team he could play what ever game he wants and I was kick off the forum for a few day and then HELIOS took me off his friends list:butbut: The main guy who tells everyone the game is great and we need to support and buy all the DLC does not even play, now that is sad.

I have been done with OFPDR for some time and I only got the first DLC but I will never buy a codemasters game again. I am playing the old ELITE and hoping to hear some new infromation about ARROWHEAD and the 360 or if my PC breaks maybe my wife will let me buy a new PC that can run it and then I can get a hand control and play it on my big 55 inch HDTV wait, just give me a console game BOHEMIA please.

Yes, I know PC are better and you can have all the great Mod's from the community but, I have a group of friends for years that we all play on the 360 and a console just fits better in my busy life for a hour or two of play time.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

Just some funny infomation. I had helios the main guy on the codemasters forum on my friend list. I never saw him on OFPDR online however, a few weeks after COD MW2 come out he was playing it ever night. So I wrote a post on the codemasters forum asking why he would play COD and not OFPDR if he wants people to play and conitnue to buy the DLC. I ask him was he looking to see how the online play was so he could tell the codemasters developers how bad OFPDR plays. The next day I was told from other members of the MOD team he could play what ever game he wants and I was kick off the forum for a few day and then HELIOS took me off his friends list:butbut: The main guy who tells everone the game is great and we need to support and buy all the DLC does not even play, now that is sad.

I have been done with OFPDR for some time and I only got the first DLC but I will never buy a codemasters game again. I am playing the old ELITE and hoping to hear some new infromation about ARROWHEAD and the 360 or if my PC breaks maybe my wife will let me buy a new PC that can run it and then I can get a hand control and play it on my big 55 inch HDTV wait, just give me a console game BOHEMIA please.

nice way to be off topic and insult someone behind their back...

nice way to be off topic and insult someone behind their back...

I gave him multiple PM about this. I found that insulting he never got back to me.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1