Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

ArmA2 - The Xbox 360 thread

Maybe let them sort out the PC version first, so it is at least a reasonable excuse for a finished product ?

Hey was that a shot at Bohemia or are you been for real. I think it was the first.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

When dragon rising comes out it will open people up to the concept. Then Bis should then make a Arrow Head port (think about it it has a smaller island) then codemasters would be left crippled and in astonishment when it comes on to the scene, and not dumbed down, too much.

Think about it. A port to a console that doesn't multiple different Cpus and Gfix cards, kinda a perfect condition for a 90% (or more ) polished game.

I can seriously see it happening. :m: :dance:

well, i've finally had it.... i went out and got myself a brand new computer, and i'm downloading arma II right now.

just a thought...

if it's true that one of the biggest hurdles to overcome in bringing AA2 to the 360 is distribution, I wonder if it would be possible (or if BI has considered) to skip traditional marketing and release it only as a LIVE download. The number of downloadable titles (full games, not Arcarde titles) continues to grow, which shows how much MS loves this revenue channel. I know there are advantages to releasing a boxed version (and I think most people prefer it) but it IS more expensive. And besides the distribution angle, a download-only version of AA2 would remove another problem that some developers have, which is creating a game to play on a console without a harddrive.

Okay, I'm not sure MS is willing to allow DnLd-only titles just yet (less any prior boxed release), but I bet you they're coming sooner than later.

What do some of you think? Agree/disagree/dislike? Should this be something BI looks into?

That would be the best dlc ever! Good idea, I hope they would consider anything possible to get this game to the console market with the realism and editor in tact. :p

just a thought...

if it's true that one of the biggest hurdles to overcome in bringing AA2 to the 360 is distribution, I wonder if it would be possible (or if BI has considered) to skip traditional marketing and release it only as a LIVE download. The number of downloadable titles (full games, not Arcarde titles) continues to grow, which shows how much MS loves this revenue channel. I know there are advantages to releasing a boxed version (and I think most people prefer it) but it IS more expensive. And besides the distribution angle, a download-only version of AA2 would remove another problem that some developers have, which is creating a game to play on a console without a harddrive.

Okay, I'm not sure MS is willing to allow DnLd-only titles just yet (less any prior boxed release), but I bet you they're coming sooner than later.

What do some of you think? Agree/disagree/dislike? Should this be something BI looks into?

You are wrong! The biggest hurdles to overcome is getting the FPS rate and the loading time to acceptable numbers to play. Why do you think OFPDR needs to limited the fighting areas to 2KM X 2KM. To download a game like ARMA2 will not work on current consoles. More then half of the 360 players do not have the elite and don't have the space to hold the information maybe for the next console systems that will work. Just look at PC five years ago the ave PC only had 50GB hard drive now like 200 GB and more are common.

I will say this only one time They already have a somewhat working version of ARMA2 it would be nice to have ARMA2-OA as well but they have worked on ARMA2 so let them get it to work and close the deal with the pubublisher so we all can have this game.

You are wrong! The biggest hurdles to overcome is getting the FPS rate and the loading time to acceptable numbers to play. Why do you think OFPDR needs to limited the fighting areas to 2KM X 2KM. To download a game like ARMA2 will not work on current consoles. More then half of the 360 players do not have the elite and don't have the space to hold the information maybe for the next console systems that will work. Just look at PC five years ago the ave PC only had 50GB hard drive now like 200 GB and more are common.

I will say this only one time They already have a somewhat working version of ARMA2 it would be nice to have ARMA2-OA as well but they have worked on ARMA2 so let them get it to work and close the deal with the pubublisher so we all can have this game.

I didn't say distribution was the only big issue, just one of them. It HAS been mentioned as a concern, and rightly so since a publisher may not want to take a chance on marketing a fringe title whose predecessor (Elite) sold a whopping 5 copies.

I agree -- FPS rates and load times are big concerns. However, given the work that BI did in porting OpF:Elite to the Xbox, I'm hoping they can come up with something better than the upcoming Codemasters' title.

You said that current consoles can't handle a title like AA2 as a download. I'm not sure where you get such crazy information. Of course, they can. I assume the game is currently running off of a standard DVD (on the PC version). I'd wager even the 360's older 20gb HD would have enough space. Admittedly it's not ideal and would necessitate some housecleaning. But the fact is that there are enough 60/120gb uers out there that MS seems confident in marketing downloadable titles via LIVE -- and in growing that library.

I think most people who've been following the game here know that BI already has a "somewhat working version" for the 360, as you pointed out, which is a good sign and a large reason why we keep checking back here on this forum. I also think intelligent people understand that the current state of AA2 is not polished enough to release on a console yet, so obviously I'm not suggesting that BI opt for a downloadable version of AA2 to speed up the process. My point is that, IF distribution/publishing of a boxed 360 version becomes an issue/snag, then I for one would hope BI tries a download-only via LIVE. That's certainly better than nothing.

I didn't say distribution was the only big issue, just one of them. It HAS been mentioned as a concern, and rightly so since a publisher may not want to take a chance on marketing a fringe title whose predecessor (Elite) sold a whopping 5 copies.

WOW that is funny I have two of the five copies at my house.

IF distribution/publishing of a boxed 360 version becomes an issue/snag, then I for one would hope BI tries a download-only via LIVE. That's certainly better than nothing.

I would agree with you. BF 1943 did well but it is a lot small and most console players knew about the game and it was cheap. Codemasters droped the ball with the elite just how they are doing it again with OFPDR. Most console players still have no real clue about the game and it is coming out less then two weeks how sad is that.

At the end of the day all I want is the game. Doesnt bother me to dl,buy,rent,borrow, I'd say steal but its just not me :). I just hope it comes soon.

I think XBoX 360 team played the PC Version of Arma 2 and concluded that the game is too much complex, hardware intensive, bugged.

Therefore no release (soon) for Console.

How can you play ArmA 2 with a pad? :raisebrow:

I think XBoX 360 team played the PC Version of Arma 2 and concluded that the game is too much complex, hardware intensive, bugged.

Therefore no release (soon) for Console.

How can you play ArmA 2 with a pad? :raisebrow:

We are all a little more stupid now that we had to read your post.

Let me guess you never played the OFP ELITE. The control setup worked fine in every part of the game. Yes no hot keys with one button commands but it was fine to play and command 12 units without a problem. If they need to cut the graphics or limited the map section used like in OFPDR ( hopefully bigger then 2km x 2km what a joke) so what. BOHEMIA will make it work they did it with the elite and the old XBOX hardware was so lmited compared to the 360.

We will see ARMA2 spring 2010 on the console. Do you want to bet with me!!!!!

You should take that bet. The games Ai is awesome but at the same time is to buggy for a console release. Also most people who really play arma could care less about playing it on a console. This game need to stay with PC or it will turn into another Fear2.

You said that current consoles can't handle a title like AA2 as a download. I'm not sure where you get such crazy information. Of course, they can.

Absolutely, all versions of the 360 with HDD can handle this with no problems.

How can you play ArmA 2 with a pad?

Don't feed the troll...

Grim

I think most people who've been following the game here know that BI already has a "somewhat working version" for the 360...

Well, that seems like a bit of wishful thinking. I would venture the guess that not even the basic engine is running on any X360 alpha build. It seems very obvious to me that BI never expected a console release any time near the PC release. I constantly hear this comparison of Elite to the current situation. However, it is important to note that Elite took 3 years (I think, maybe 2) to come out after the PC release. Also, it came out on a console that wasn't even built during the PC release. That means BI was capable of creating a console version of a game built before that generation of consoles. What this all means is that if Arma2 makes it to the 360, it will stretch that consoles abilities. Making this game work on the 360 will probably be the most difficult port ever done. With them patching like mad men, and the rest of BI working on OA I suspect you are in for a hefty wait. Don't get me wrong, despite being a PC player a console version can only gain more money for BI. I believe it is do able, and there is at least a decent probability that it will be done. However, let's be realistic on the amount of work that has so far gone into it, and how long it will take.

No one here is saying it'll be easy, just welcomed. The console market has yet to see anything like this.Also, while it may take a little while I believe they began a lot further back than most of us would consider. I dont beleive they announced it and then just left their work where it was after the delays, but rather that they continue to push forward. BIS knows the gold mine the 360/ps3 could be, and while it has run into some problems I think they can be solved.

Well, that seems like a bit of wishful thinking.... Making this game work on the 360 will probably be the most difficult port ever done.

I don't think this game is as impressive, from a tech standpoint, as you do. I love it but I also see it as a buggy title with adequate graphics made by a relatively small studio. I see no reason why AA2 can't be faithfully ported to the 360 in a manner that doesn't compromise the integrity of the game. Now, your other points (specifically that Elite was a much easier port to be made since it was based on older tech yet still required BI a long time to complete) are well taken. AA2 is definitely a much bigger challenge, and I'm not sure BI is up to it at this time, especially with all the patching they are doing. What gives me hope is the fact that Placebo alluded a couple times to time spent on an early 360 version (over a year ago, I believe). So there is some optimism that things may be further along than we think.

We will see ARMA2 spring 2010 on the console. Do you want to bet with me!!!!!

mmmm.. I do not believe XBox people would be tolerant with the SP campaign "Harvest Red", which was programmed by crazy people.:).

Too many show stoppers, even if the design and ideas are really great.

Well, concerning multiplayer human and AI bots together, could be interesting. But I remain a "PC man". ;)

I don't think this game is as impressive, from a tech standpoint, as you do. I love it but I also see it as a buggy title with adequate graphics made by a relatively small studio. I see no reason why AA2 can't be faithfully ported to the 360 in a manner that doesn't compromise the integrity of the game. Now, your other points (specifically that Elite was a much easier port to be made since it was based on older tech yet still required BI a long time to complete) are well taken. AA2 is definitely a much bigger challenge, and I'm not sure BI is up to it at this time, especially with all the patching they are doing. What gives me hope is the fact that Placebo alluded a couple times to time spent on an early 360 version (over a year ago, I believe). So there is some optimism that things may be further along than we think.

I think the important difference to my mind is that while the original Operation Flashpoint pushed a PC's hardware to it's very limits just as ArmA 2 does, the Xbox it was ported to had over double the system specs required to play Operation Flashpoint on PC.

The same is just not even remotely true of an Xbox 360. It has less than half. Much less.

So it won't be a direct port of ArmA 2 at all I expect. More of a complete re-write from an older build.

No point in a port, it would clearly not have the editing capabilities and the campaign isn't really up to scratch enough for console owners to play it and think "WOW", most would just be like "What the fuck is this shit?", a lot of shallow consolers out there.

No point in a port, it would clearly not have the editing capabilities and the campaign isn't really up to scratch enough for console owners to play it and think "WOW", most would just be like "What the fuck is this shit?", a lot of shallow consolers out there.

Sgt let me ask you the number one question. Have you ever played the ELITE for the OLD XBOX.

1. The editor was great, it worked fine. It had a few simple templates for us to start making missions. That's all we need, the ability to make missions. You PC players and I was a PC player for OFP1 back in the day can keep all the other capabilities that the PC editor has. We would be happy with the simple elite editor. PS. I would love to have a simple warfare template that would be nice CTI mode.

2. The game pad work fine with the commands, I was able to order a 12 man squad without a problem in a battle. I love people that talk crap when they have no clue about something. Go try the elite and you will see the PC OFP1 and the elite played the same in all aspects of gameplay.

3. Your right must console players don't know any better they are stuck in COD/BF mind frame however, plenty of RB6 and graw2 players that want something more and if you give the COD/BF players a taste of this gameplay some of them will be hooked. Some of them will hate it but remember the majority of console players are getting older and they are growing up and want to different type of game then RUN & GUN:)

4. So please stop coming to the XBOX 360 thead to talk crap when you have no clue about what the console can do or not do. Thank you and have a nice day.

I think the important difference to my mind is that while the original Operation Flashpoint pushed a PC's hardware to it's very limits just as ArmA 2 does, the Xbox it was ported to had over double the system specs required to play Operation Flashpoint on PC.

The same is just not even remotely true of an Xbox 360. It has less than half. Much less.

So it won't be a direct port of ArmA 2 at all I expect. More of a complete re-write from an older build.

Your claim that Xbox had over double the system specs required to play OF on a PC is not true. The recommended amount of RAM on the PC was 128mb. The Xbox had only 64. The recommended PC processor was 600mhz. The Xbox's was 733. So hardly a jump up in technology.

I believe the minimum specs to play AA2 on a PC are less than the 360's, so I'm not sure this point is valid either. Obviously, the 360's 512mb of RAM (equal to the minimum specs) is the biggest hurdle but could be overcome without a "complete rewrite." I don't see BI starting from scratch for the 360 -- if it's not attainable in large part as a port, it's not coming.

And you say that AA2 pushes a PC to its limits, but that is at its maximum settings. I'd be happy if it was running at half the resolution on my 360.

My gut tells me we'll see the game, but not until 2011, after they've had time to iron out all issues with the current game and to optimize the code.

2011 is a realistic time frame in what amounts to nothing more than my guess. However, it must be realized that much of Arma 2's system requirements are not due to its visuals, but just the sheer scope of all the calculations to run the AI, running the entire island, and all those things that go on beyond your sight. I truly believe that Arma 2 to the 360 would be the most difficult port yet. I am straining to come up with a name of a game that required so much pc power being ported to a system that meets the very minimum requirements to even boot the program. The game may not seem technically impressive, but no other game does it what it does. OFP2 provides worse graphics over around the same size island with a maximum of 63 entities. Sure, the AI gets a little fubar in this case but Arma 2 can have 1,500 AI in it. Back to the idea of what port was more difficult. Far cry 2 brought great graphics but in a very limited space, somewhat significantly degraded graphics from the PC version, less draw distance, and not a super taxing or intelligent AI. Crysis has talked about porting over to consoles, but probably will be less taxing than Arma 2 once the graphics are turned down. Frankly, no other super ports come to mind.

Your claim that Xbox had over double the system specs required to play OF on a PC is not true. The recommended amount of RAM on the PC was 128mb. The Xbox had only 64. The recommended PC processor was 600mhz. The Xbox's was 733. So hardly a jump up in technology.

I believe the minimum specs to play AA2 on a PC are less than the 360's, so I'm not sure this point is valid either. Obviously, the 360's 512mb of RAM (equal to the minimum specs) is the biggest hurdle but could be overcome without a "complete rewrite." I don't see BI starting from scratch for the 360 -- if it's not attainable in large part as a port, it's not coming.

And you say that AA2 pushes a PC to its limits, but that is at its maximum settings. I'd be happy if it was running at half the resolution on my 360.

My gut tells me we'll see the game, but not until 2011, after they've had time to iron out all issues with the current game and to optimize the code.

It's double the spec's required to play.

Double the CPU, double the GPU.

System requirements 400 MHz CPU, 64 MB RAM, 16 MB video card RAM, 8X CD-ROM drive, DirectX 7.0, 450 MB available hard disk space, Windows 95

I don't see BI starting from scratch to make something for the 360, they could run from an older build. Maybe something closer to ArmA.

CPU: 2.0 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor

RAM: 512 MB

Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce FX series or ATI Radeon 9500 series or higher (Pixel Shader 2.0)

HD space: 3 GB (or more as needed for downloadable addons)

Operating system: Windows XP or Windows 2000

These are broadly comparable with the 360's specs.

And I concur you can strip out a load of GFX, that would help. Loads of AI too.

AA2 by the way, pushes a PC to it's maximum limits at any settings. It's the CPU load and memory streaming that are the bottlenecks, not the GFX. Set the GFX to minimum on the largest GFX card with the fastest CPU and the game will still have poor frame rates and noticeable slow downs.

Edited by Baff1