Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

ArmA2 - The Xbox 360 thread

There was a thread earlier, which is now closed, about a website reporting that the console version of ArmA 2 has been cancelled. I realise that this is probably incorrect as it was just a translation error/sensationalist journalism etc.

My question is about a comment that Placebo made just before closing the thread. He hinted at a reason for why BIS are silent on the issue of a console release;

"That remains the answer to the console question. If you look hard enough you'll find the reason from Ondrej as to why there's no elaboration from us on the subject."

I tried searching on Ondrej's name to locate the post, but it said 'sorry, no matches'. Do any of you guys know what reason Ondrej gave?

Hey I don't know if you find what you are looking for but What I understand from this forum for a game to be officially on a console they must have a publisher setup.

I don't fully understand why I have seen many games on the gamespot forums with TBA publisher next to the game but This is what the hint was why we have no real information. Hope this helps you. I am still a little confused myself about this.

Hi all

Here is a post I made in another thread that may help

Hi Stimpak_Addict

As others have pointed out there are two cases.

Case 1) If BIS were working on and XBox 360 or Play Station version of ArmA II legaly speaking they sign an NDA with console producers and they would not be alowed to speak about it.

Case 2) If BIS were not working on a console version there would be nothing to stop them saying they were not working on a console version.

Now your reaction may be "Just tell me for Darwins sake!"

To which the only possible replies are:

In Case 1) " "

In Case 2) "No"

Since in Case 1) No answer is possible before it goes gold and in Case 2) the only possible answer answer is "No"

Now Fathom it. What answer has BIS's given you?

Is not logic wonderful :)

Kind Regards walker

Kind Regards walker

PS Oh and just to add to the fuel under the boiling pot

Note also it say "Discuss our Next Generation Game ArmA 2" in this forum section

Also lookeye here

http://www.tothegame.com/x360-7193-arma-2-for-microsoft-xbox-360.html

Says: Platform Xbox 360

and has changed from TBA to TBA Upcoming.

Edited by walker
added to the fuel under the boiling pot

Hi all

Here is a post I made in another thread that may help

Kind Regards walker

PS Oh and just add to the fuel under the boiling pot

Note also it say "Discuss our Next Generation Game ArmA 2" in this forum section

Also lookeye here

http://www.tothegame.com/x360-7193-arma-2-for-microsoft-xbox-360.html

Says: Platform Xbox 360

and has changed from TBA to TBA Upcoming.

MR. Walker thank you for your supportive words towards the XBOX 360 players and hope is still alive for us with ARMA2.

Must PC players really don't want this game to be on the console and I can't understand why.

BOHEMIA is making the PC game first and then they will make it work on the console. The PC format is the first objective. Why can't PC players just relax.

It's because they don't have a clue that OFP elite played just like the PC game just without the MOD's, moveable crosshair and no F keys to work with orders.

My question is about a comment that Placebo made just before closing the thread. He hinted at a reason for why BIS are silent on the issue of a console release;

"That remains the answer to the console question. If you look hard enough you'll find the reason from Ondrej as to why there's no elaboration from us on the subject."

I tried searching on Ondrej's name to locate the post, but it said 'sorry, no matches'. Do any of you guys know what reason Ondrej gave?

Sorry about that, I meant to go back to give the actual link to that thread but I got swamped with other stuff :(

I used the same logic as you Walker when I read the link that sniperwolf provided. The way in which Ondrej's post is phrased seems to point/hint clearly to a console release. It must be frustrating for BIS when they read some of the rubbish written on certain game sites.

Avibird, thanks for your input. I had no idea about the need for a publisher to be in place. Well, you live and learn as they say. The good news is that it's looking very positive for 360 owners.

I'll spread the word on this game and hopefully we'll see console gamers receive this game with open arms. A lot of people I know are bored of the same old shooter format (me included) so I think this may well be the answer for me and many others.

Sorry about that, I meant to go back to give the actual link to that thread but I got swamped with other stuff :(

No worries, I put the wrong user name in when I searched for Ondrej's post :o

It's good that the thread was closed as it appears that it was both incorrect and potentially damaging to any prospective buyers.

Edited by Sniperwolf572
Merged

im dying around here:p, i need some info about arma2 on consoles

i just don't understand why it takes so long :(

JB Time, please edit your posts instead of double posting in the future. :)

I'm a bit surprised it's taking so long to find a publisher for console versions...If I were a publisher I'd be kicking down the door at BIS begging them to let me distribute this game.

I'm a bit surprised it's taking so long to find a publisher for console versions...If I were a publisher I'd be kicking down the door at BIS begging them to let me distribute this game.

Maybe It's BOHEMIA being picky because how they took it up the A hole from CODEMASTERS with OFP but I agree publishers should be at the door for this game.

Well if their was a Non-disclosure agreement signed not even the publisher can say anything about the game , but also as what was said before nobody has said they wasn't making this game for consoles , have they ? i think that was the answer ....

Well I'm a PC gamer for more than 10 years(1 years ArmA) and I haven't had a console nor planning to buy one, I'm just making making a suggestion for BIS.

So you could stop treating me as a "console guy" :c: I too think it won't be out on PS3 though, BIS never mentioned it. But another 22 millions of "more hardcore" population is a good thing to consider.

lol ps3 cant sell games , bohemia would be foolish to even waste time deving for the console im afraid.

The idea that they are selling the game to 22 million people is rediculous when looking at the ps3 as a platform

Take a look at killzone 2 , the biggest most technically advanced and most hyped game for the console in its history. People were swearing this game would change everything and turn the ps3 around

It doesnt even sell 1 million copies in a weeks time ......

Lets look at gears of war 2 on the 360 , it was made by a smaller studio , with less than a quarter of the budget that killzone 2 had , and sold over 2 million copies in one single day.

The 360 fanbase is far more "hardcore" when it comes to playing and buying games than the ps3 fanbase by a longshot just by looking at the sales numbers.

This points out the fact that a large percentage of PS3 gamers are either not hardcore enough to buy games , or they simply are not all gamers ( half of the sales of the console when it launched was because it was the cheapest blu ray player )

Im not bashing the ps3 as a console , im bashing the idea of arma 2 on ps3 which would be a financial disaster for bohemia because they would not be able to sell the game on the console to make up for its rediculous development costs.

hello im a new member and ive been keeping track of the fourms for a while now, the game loooks amazing especially in the new video with the trackIR.

Despite this, apart from the screenshots on IGN ive seen no evidence that suggests this game will be relaeased on the xbox. So..will it?:butbut:

hello im a new member and ive been keeping track of the fourms for a while now, the game loooks amazing especially in the new video with the trackIR.

Despite this, apart from the screenshots on IGN ive seen no evidence that suggests this game will be relaeased on the xbox. So..will it?:butbut:

yes it will be

skip to 5:30

You aren't a publisher, though, you're a fan of the game. Publishers have to look at the bottom line.

"If I spend x amount of money promoting, advertising, pressing copies, boxing, and supporting this game, will I get at least y amount of money back?"

Keep in mind that the Arma community is still very, very small, as game communities go, and while we're all enthusiastic about the game, there still aren't that many of us. In the big picture, publishers might be viewing Arma 2 as a risk. This is not to say that BIS cannot find a publisher, but the process may not be as simple as it would seem it should be.

It wouldn't be a risk if they would PROPERLY advertise and distribute it!

OFP:Elite saw maybe ONE copy per EBGames shop in this area.

Then I talk to someone in Finland, and they say that the game LINED THE SHELVES in that country!

Sounded like Codemasters sent all of the copies to nearby Finland, instead of to those bloody Americans!

It was an absolute PARTY on X-Box Live! All the guys playing it LOVED it!

Hi all

Yes Uzi

It was almost as if Codmasters did not want OFP elite to sell.

If BIS had not survived by managing to get people to buy Elite depsite no PR and selling ArmA and getting VBS as the defacto simulator I wonder who would have owned the engine?

Kind Regards walker

I recently picked up another copy of OFP:Elite (had traded it in when I got my 360 three years ago), and I have to say it's still superior to anything that's out now. Ugly yes. VERY ugly. And the voicework is goofy (terrible fake american accents in the cutscenes and ingame stuff like, "2. Get. In. That. Ural....at...10...o.clock.") But the gameplay is awesome and SO much more satisfying than this "NEXT" generation of games.

Im not bashing the ps3 as a console , im bashing the idea of arma 2 on ps3 which would be a financial disaster for bohemia because they would not be able to sell the game on the console to make up for its rediculous development costs.

BIS released details on development costs? When did this happen? :whistle:

You aren't a publisher, though, you're a fan of the game. Publishers have to look at the bottom line.

"If I spend x amount of money promoting, advertising, pressing copies, boxing, and supporting this game, will I get at least y amount of money back?"

Keep in mind that the Arma community is still very, very small, as game communities go, and while we're all enthusiastic about the game, there still aren't that many of us. In the big picture, publishers might be viewing Arma 2 as a risk. This is not to say that BIS cannot find a publisher, but the process may not be as simple as it would seem it should be.

I guess my opinion is a bit biased, I can't really be considered as a fan though, since I've never actually played ArmA or OFP before (sinful, I know.. but I've never had a good enough PC) but from what I've seen and heard I still can't imagine a publisher looking at this game and saying "Nope, too risky". A lot of console players are itching for a game like this...even if some of them don't know it yet.

is this going to be just a ground game? how much of the orginal is going to be in the xbox 360 verison??/

is there going to be a beta for this on xboxlive?

Edited by Sniperwolf572
Doublepost

F1st, please edit your posts instead of doubleposting in the future.

I am wondering which will sell more console or pc ?

I am wondering which will sell more console or pc ?

At this point there is no question about it, PC will sell more. Just because the fact that it is the only one getting/giving the proper spotlight. Besides that ArmA and OFP are better known on the PC-based community.

While I still enjoy OFP:E it is almost a mythical game which no-one knows about. The console community knows to little about ArmA II and there is allmost no marketing done regarding this community as there is still no publisher nor console announced.

If they release it for console, I believe they will have to redo the whole marketing game for the console version when there is more to tell to the right people. (Xbox360 and/or PS3) Will they make a decent amount off sells for this game.

It doesn't have anything to do about the game nor the console capabilities, yet all about it currently not being marketized(sp?) to the console community. With the right reasons! They can't yet.