aus_twisted

Throttle & Afterburner control in planes

setting throttles to analogue would a nice touch... once that is done it should not be to hard to tweak at what level after burner kicks in....

How would I fly with my joystick if it wasn't mapped? And why would it deploy the airbrakes at zero throttle and maintain speed at 50% throttle, and behave exactly as it did in ArmA if it was in error?

You must of had something setup wrong, what joystick were you using? both my MS Sidewinder and Logi Extreme 3D Pro have analogue throttle. The video I made was with my old MS Sidewinder as thats my default joystick for OFP, I use my Logi for ArmA2

You must of had something setup wrong, what joystick were you using? both my MS Sidewinder and Logi Extreme 3D Pro have analogue throttle. The video I made was with my old MS Sidewinder as thats my default joystick for OFP, I use my Logi for ArmA2

It was set up correctly.

In your version, did the helicopters automatically follow the terrain?

It was set up correctly.

In your version, did the helicopters automatically follow the terrain?

Yes but I used mouse and keyboard for choppers in OFP, I believe the choppers following the height of the terrain was to make flying them easier and thats also how the AI fly them including planes but obviously this is not a issue with the ArmA choppers for players. But I dont see how that has anything to do with analogue throttle on planes?

Yes but I used mouse and keyboard for choppers in OFP, I believe the choppers following the height of the terrain was to make flying them easier and thats also how the AI fly them including planes but obviously this is not a issue with the ArmA choppers for players. But I dont see how that has anything to do with analogue throttle on planes?

Because I was talking with someone on a thread about ArmA's helicopters vs. OFP's helicopters, and there is apparently some kind of different versions of helicopter control. In my experience, using a joystick or not, the helicopters followed the terrain. In this other player's experience, they did not. He even made a video about it and it blew my mind. He had no experience what so ever that would indicate that the helicopters in OFP followed the terrain automatically. I thought this might be a controls version difference or something- GOTY ed. or something. I patched mine up from version 1.0, adding red hammer and res seperately.

Because I was talking with someone on a thread about ArmA's helicopters vs. OFP's helicopters, and there is apparently some kind of different versions of helicopter control. In my experience, using a joystick or not, the helicopters followed the terrain. In this other player's experience, they did not. He even made a video about it and it blew my mind. He had no experience what so ever that would indicate that the helicopters in OFP followed the terrain automatically. I thought this might be a controls version difference or something- GOTY ed. or something. I patched mine up from version 1.0, adding red hammer and res seperately.

Hmm now that you mentioned it one of the older versions might of been like that with no auto hover, from what I remember Joysticks were not supported until version 1.20

Adding my vote for yes to analogue throttles in fixed wing aircraft.

seems to be more of a fly-by-wire system in A1 and A2 where throttle position=airspeed and the computer auto controls the engine to maintain that speed, I don't like it.

I also agree with the need for analogue throttle in ArmA 2.

Alot of virtual pilots have bought OFP/ArmA/ArmA 2 and they should certainly be catered for.

I realise that this is a combat simulator and not specifically a flight simulator, and understand the limitations you have with the size of the development team and existing engine, however, if it was possible in OFP, why is it not possible now?

I, for one, decided to invest in a Saitek X-52 Pro Flight Control System, to further enjoy this release, only to find that my swish throttle unit is nothing more than a secondary programmable button holder with the throttle as it currently is.

I do not know how difficult it is for you to change this, but it would be a seriously good value fix, as many of the virtual pilots in ArmA 2, myself included would find it game changing in a positive sense.

Again, I would like to say that I am very grateful for the work you continue to put in and appreciate that you are a small team with a whole lot of enthusiasm, and your community relationship is an example to any of the major games developers/publishers.

I'm voting yes for this as well. As an X52 owner, I like to feel that the throttle serves a purpose. This game is designed as a military warfare simulator, and I do not see a reason to leave flight simulation out of it.

Completely agree! Full throttle control is vital to flying properly. PLEASE fix this!

I have to say + 1 to this after playing round with planes (never used to really) and discovering how fun they are but how tired your finger gets by having it constantly on the throttle.

+1 for this matter... for me it's the biggest (and only) gripe I have with ArmA 2... I had another thread just about this, but this one has grown bigger, and the larger the thread, the greater the chance the devs will notice it

I too have an X52, and I feel the throttle could have been much much better if it had no AI attached to it.

If BIS should feel like removing the autothrottle 'feature' would be bad for people using the keyboard, I suggest simply putting in an option to switch between auto and true throttle input... that would please everyone.

Cheers

#5Updated by Suma about an hour ago

Assigned to set to Suma

Sounds like creating new actions for analogue throttle +/- and binding it to stick Z by default should be easy solution for this. Probably the most difficult part will be to localize it in all languages.

wOOt! :D:yay::cool::bounce3:

Fingers crossed and new pair of underwear are standing by!

Does this mean it might happen?! :D

Hope so - major annoyance for me!

+1 for this matter... for me it's the biggest (and only) gripe I have with ArmA 2... I had another thread just about this, but this one has grown bigger, and the larger the thread, the greater the chance the devs will notice it

I too have an X52, and I feel the throttle could have been much much better if it had no AI attached to it.

If BIS should feel like removing the autothrottle 'feature' would be bad for people using the keyboard, I suggest simply putting in an option to switch between auto and true throttle input... that would please everyone.

Cheers

I wanna ask if anyone X52 users find the jets very pitchy and almost uncontrollable at times.. I have been messing with the VTOL flight training and you can never get it to go where you want (IE: THE CIRCLES) The plane doesn't react to well to my user inputs.. Anyone else find this to be true?

I wanna ask if anyone X52 users find the jets very pitchy and almost uncontrollable at times.. I have been messing with the VTOL flight training and you can never get it to go where you want (IE: THE CIRCLES) The plane doesn't react to well to my user inputs.. Anyone else find this to be true?

Same here. The aircraft is very unresponsive to the stick. I can fly no problem, but cannot fly though the circles for the life of me. The controls just aren't tight enough.

If only there was a controller sensitivity slider option inside Options> Controls> Customize.. oh wait?

#5Updated by Suma about an hour ago

Assigned to set to Suma

Sounds like creating new actions for analogue throttle +/- and binding it to stick Z by default should be easy solution for this. Probably the most difficult part will be to localize it in all languages.

wOOt! :D:yay::cool::bounce3:

+1 for analogue.

+1 for BIS giving a damn and taking this request on board. :)