aus_twisted

Throttle & Afterburner control in planes

Same here. The aircraft is very unresponsive to the stick. I can fly no problem, but cannot fly though the circles for the life of me. The controls just aren't tight enough.

Oh the pitch and roll are VERY responsive to much if you ask me, almost uncontrollable. They want realistic but no where close if you ask me. I know. Its the rudder functions in both the jets and the helo that are lacking.

A question though - will what Suma is proposing stop the Autothrottle taking over when you pitch up/down? i mean, thats what i'm sure most here want - but is that what Suma is going to implement? we might miss the mark here.

As it is in ArmA 1, if you set the throttle in the middle, the plane will automatically throttle up if you nose up, and throttle down when you lower the nose.

It's not that the throttle only just reads "go faster/stay at speed/go slower" on a stick, but that it actually also takes aircraft attitude into account - which it shouldn't.

It's not that the throttle only just reads "go faster/stay at speed/go slower" on a stick, but that it actually also takes aircraft attitude into account - which it shouldn't.

I may get you wrong, but I do not understand this. Of course, if you want to maintain your speed, you need to change throttle based on your attitude.

It is however not implemented in reaction to attitude. It works this way:

- you climb, your planes slows down a little bit

- autopilot increased thrust to maintain the set speed

To make this clear: with analogue throttle we want to introduce direct control over throttle/airbrake, similar to most flight sims. You will be unable to apply thurst and brake at the same time with default settings, as they will both be mapped to the same axis. Once you customize this, you will get two independent controls like in reality / other sims.

That sounds very nice Suma. :) Time to connect my HOTAS!

Alex

Now that is good news for us flightsimmers. I think this small thing is a big step in realism of the flying expierience in Arma 2. Will this also apply to the collective control of the helicopters?

One small additional suggestion on the throttle topic: Would it be possible to inverse the throttle axis for helicopters (or aircraft, depending on what your control settings are). It is common to have the throttle axis inversed for helicopter sims (so pulling means + and pushing -). You can already do that in Arma 2 but then it is the wrong way for aircraft. If the throttle becomes more important now, it would be nice if the axis would be automatically inversed depending on helicopter/aircraft.

You have no idea how happy I am not that this is being worked out!

I may get you wrong, but I do not understand this. Of course, if you want to maintain your speed, you need to change throttle based on your attitude.

To make this clear: with analogue throttle we want to introduce direct control over throttle/airbrake, similar to most flight sims. You will be unable to apply thurst and brake at the same time with default settings, as they will both be mapped to the same axis. Once you customize this, you will get two independent controls like in reality / other sims.

Hey Suma, the problem was what you described with the second point - there exists an autopilot that seems to apply it's own input to several controls (like the throttle and rudder) even when the player is in full control of the aircraft. I know it was probably included with the idea of making things easier to fly, but in execution, it just seems like it's more 'in the way' than actually making the task of flying easier for anyone.

the solution with the analogue throttle looks like it's going to fix exactly that however - i like it.

This is great news that a future patch will include a analogue throttle/brake!! :yay::yay::yay: Thanks Suma for the info

BTW, I just bought a Australian copy of ArmA 2 tonight (far better then having to rely on digitial download activations etc) hard copy FTW :D

So, now that the Team are working on a solution to this, I would like to make a suggestion.

Actually, it's more of a request - most of the people who have posted in this thread also didn't like it when it first appeared in ArmA - and there were several threads about it. considering that it's still a problem in that game, and also since patches are still being created for it, can this fix also be implemented back into ArmA 1? I'd hate to think that the only people who will benefit from increasing the vehicle realism are only going to be those who buy the 'latest and greatest', and not those who've had to report this problem and put up with it for years.

Any bad news? I've got same problem with my joystick so I serached on google and this topic is result... :S I hope someone can fix it!

Thank you!

That "bouncing sound" we hear in the distance is the ball that BI dropped on this one.

The current analog system.....blows.

Any chance of seeing this soon? It still appears to be digital and not analogue on the helicopters' collective.

Any chance of seeing this soon? It still appears to be digital and not analogue on the helicopters' collective.
You're a bit late..this is already in since the later 1.04 betas.

I tried it earlier and the helis still seemed to be digital, I'll try again... thanks.

I use a mixture of both digital and analog for my helo's runs, means I can safely fly at speed at about 5m.

Don't forget to re-assign your throttle in setup to get this to work.

I've been trying to get this to work properly with my Saitek X52Pro and still can't seem to get it nailed down. Right now with the Throttle assigned to analog when I climb every so slightly the speed drops significantly and it's impossible to maintain altitiude. I tried creating control bands in my Saitek software but that didn't help either.

Is there some way I can set this up so the speed/altitude maintains properly when at 50% throttle instead of either accelerating or decelerating constantly?

The flight model isn't particularly accurate so a small change in attitude seems to have an excessive affect on airspeed; and being constrained to only half of the throttle's range makes it hard to compensate.

Is there still no way to allow a control to be mapped to the entire range (+ and -) of an analog input?

As it is now it seems much easier to fly using the digital throttle and let the plane maintain airspeed itself.

I always wondered why they actually made things WORSE in many aspects of the game (from OFP to ArmA1/2), this being one of them.

I have zero problems using the analogue throttle at all and I can maintain both desired height and speed in both fixed wing and rotary.

Despite Elbe's advice, I've found that using only the analogue throttle bindings and removing the others to be the best setup.

See attached image for my setup using the X-52.

arma22010033018183786.jpg

I have zero problems using the analogue throttle at all and I can maintain both desired height and speed in both fixed wing and rotary.

Despite Elbe's advice, I've found that using only the analogue throttle bindings and removing the others to be the best setup.

arma22010033018183786.jpg

Interesting. I have my slider set to zoom in/out right now but will have to give that a try instead. Maybe I can change zoom in/out to one of the rotary dials.

What happens if you use the brake and the thrust at the same time?

What happens if you use the brake and the thrust at the same time?

Why would I do that?

And if I do do that, my plane will slow down, but not as quickly if I had no throttle at all and the brakes on.