Sign in to follow this  
[frl]myke

3rd Person altimeter jumps to 0

Well, i'm advancing with the CH-47 (no, not made by myself). Today an odd error showed up. I was testing the CH-47 ingame (flight behaviour) and i flew in 3rd person. Now i remarked when i was flying full horizontal (no dive or tilt to the sides) the height on the display in the upper right corner was showing height 0, no matter how high i was flying. As soon as i started to dive or tilted to left or right, the height was shown correct. I hope you get the point, it isn't related to flightlevel or speed, it only happens when the chopper is completely horizontal, no matter if i was hovering or flying with 100km/h.

Please don't ask if the cockpit instrument showed the same behaviout. Can't say since i don't have any working instruments right now.

Does anyone know to what this is related? Is there a missing model.cfg/config.cpp entry? Is it a missing selection in the p3d?

Old problem dating all the way back to OFP too .....

I bet you have a Roadway LOD in your model, the cargo floor no doubt.

A side effect with no known solution.

... you may even notice AI controled units started in the editor as "flying", may actually start hovering just above the ground/water before climbing to the normal "flying" height.

.... another side effect I believe.

Ok, i see. You guessed right, the Chopper has a roadway LOD in it. It makes sense to me (not the error but the cause).

Well, a possible solution could be to disable the display on the top left corner and creating an own, based on dialogue technique. Sadly i can't make dialogues for my life. sad_o.gif

Anyway, so i have to decide wether i live with this or if i should remove the roadway LOD.

Thanks Gnat, always a great help.

Try removing the roadway lod from anywhere where its not needed. I've seen example where it people made it enter a cabin that cant actually be entered.

On some aircraft/choppers the effect only happens when its tilted the aircraft a bit one way or another .... just as if the "reference point" isn't always directly above the roadway lod.

As to where the game engine is reference vs. the roadway, never did work it out myself.

Not sure if its using the "zaremy" point or the pilot proxy or the GEO LOD center or the true center of the Resolution lod or even the grid 0.0.0 point.

..... theres a quick test, move the model so the 0.0.0 grid point is below the roadway lod and see if the effect still prevails. Thats done via "Move" - "all LODs" if you haven't already found that function in O2.

Best of Luck smile_o.gif