Sign in to follow this  
catito14

Which is he maximum size of maps allowed by ArmA?

Hello,

I want to know about what size must be the Sat_lco, the Mask_lco, the configuration in the Visitor3 and the area done in Wilbur (or in another terrain editor) in order that the map occupies the maximum of size allowed by the ArmA (or the size of Saharani)??

I was looking for information about this topic but i not found, so I ask to the moderators that if this message goes in another topic that they it change please.

Regards

Sahrani is 20480 x 20480 pixels, where each pixel equals one meter on the mask/sat images.  The terrain grid size, which controls the elevations, is on a 10 meter grid.

One can make a larger map if you increase the size of the elevation grid or the scale of the mask/sat images.  The downside of this is much less detail in the terrain and less attractive map.

One thing that needs to be stressed is that the size of satellite image is the key bottleneck in map sizing.  You have to be able to work with the sat_lco.png, with multiple layers.  The layers are needed to coordinate the mask, sat_loc and the objects, roads, coasts, etc together.  While Photoshop CS3 can handle this (if you pocketbook can handle buying the program), it is still extremely slow in loading and saving multi-gigabyte size. For example, a simple 20480 square pixel png file takes over 20 minutes to save on my system.

I tell everyone who asks about how they can make a map like Schmalfelden or Razani to first test their graphics program to see if it can handle a 3-4 layer PSD file sized according to the size of the map.

Also be aware that even a small detailed map like Schmalfelden can easily take hundreds of hours to complete.  I can only imagine how much time Opteryx spent on Avangi.  I would really recommend starting with a small map first to get a handle on the process.