Sign in to follow this  
Baphomet

Game 2 is dead?

The problem with dynamic vs. non dynamic is, from a mission maker's point of view, the "loss" of effort. Remember though that OFP and ArmA have always been 500% more dynamic than any of its contemporaries, especially in the FPS-tunnel-shooter genre. It's easy for CoD to make dramatic scenes, since they can literally force the player to go through them - and why wouldn't they? They've spent a good number of manhours perfecting some model, animation or soundeffect to get something "cool" out there for people, so naturally they want to make sure people actually experience it.

In ArmA, as everyone knows, it's a lot harder to make "cool" scripted sequences, since that's not what the engine was made for. On the other hand, every time you're pinned down with explosions going off around you and helicopters dogfighting above and enemies popping out of the woods as fast as you can shoot back, you KNOW it's all just happening because that's the way it happened to go down this time. It's a lot more authentic, albeit rare.

And this is essentially the same situation as in story vs. totally dynamic. If I've spent ages making a story, recording voices, making sure the right animations are used etc., I want to make sure people get to experience the fruits of my labour! If they stumble into it out of sequence, or reflexively shoot up the scene instead of experiencing it, or do any number of other strange things that they weren't "supposed" to do at that point, then the story might very well be destroyed, all that hard work go to waste (and people come and complain about how the story sucked).

Of course, to combat this, a dynamic storyline would have to be incredibly idiot-proof, with a million different outcomes as invented by the mission-maker to combat random chance (said "airplane crashes on officer's tent" events) - but as someone who's also worked on a simple RPG mission for ArmA, there's just no way for a mere human to a) predict all the insane shit people come up with before walking into your story, and b) have time to implement all the things you DO predict.

Think about how easy it is to break most linear games - all you generally need to do is find some glitch or design flaw that lets you skip directly to some area you're not supposed to be in yet, and you'll find hordes of nonresponsive enemies, triggers that don't go off, doors and elevators that won't work, error messages, complete screw-up of everything. I remember doing this a couple of times in Deus Ex for instance (did you know that if you don't talk to Paul Denton after turning, or just plain remember the code to the locked subway, Gunther and his flock won't attack you and capture you, so you're stuck? >_>)

I too dream of a fool-proof sandbox game with a compelling story. Abandoned Armies really did prove that you can get a lot of human interaction and story elements into what was essentially a big sandbox - and I believe that with the proper scripting and the proper motivation, the ArmA engine should be perfect for that.

End rant!

Regards,

Wolfrug

Thanks for all your replies guys. Facts, and divergent points of view et-al. It's all good.

As always, the forums never fail on delivering a lively and informative discussion.

It's why I always end up coming back. wink_o.gif

Thanks for the info.

OFP2 mentions 4 player pc and 2 on the consoles.

You're wrong.

COOP Mode:

4 players for Console

8 players for PC

Other modes:

max. 16 for Console

max. 32 for PC

That's all (from OFP2 official forum).

I believe modern combat (combined arms in particularry) modelled in dynamically structured sandbox-campaign is indeed very-very-very hard to make. One of the best wargame developerteam says that they can't make AI which could fight against human in wargame modelling modern combined arms and tactics in general (they managed to do it somewhat good in ww2 setting).

If we compare what he said to ArmA2 then i foresee this: ArmA2 could ignore some things in reality of tactics terms as it really doesn't' has to do as good work as pure wargame has to (but yet it easily high-lights itself idiot if it ignores too much), it has to face in reality of current fps-standarts (lets say soldiering skills of AI) ... and then fit those in much more complex enviroment that wargame (which can ignore microdetail) or fps (which doesn't usually worry about large open enviroments or combined arms tactics) has. And most of all wargame or fps doesnt' have to worry about rest of the world as it focuses on couple suqarekilometers wide "arena", not in huge(-ish) island.

I foresee impossibility when trying to combine these things in one good package. Too much stuff, too low resources and probably also CPUs biggrin_o.gif

Given package is just too complex.

You're wrong.

I was referring to campaign mission/s.

Watch the video and listen @3.06.

Starting with the 1st OFP campaign, I've all ways wanted this type of gaming to be available for group/clan play.

Seems my 7yr old wish is finally coming true in ArmA2 also.

I think we already have a Dynamic campaign in Arma 1 and that is Warefare or Evolution, but the overall skill and attention and situation awareness in facing human players in a capture the island like gameplay is totally awesome, its strange but I sometimes find myself loving to drive to battles too tounge2.gif

Best Mp server got to be the Xr server with its warefare invasion version of the warefare concept.

I love the mix of nice and calm and then sudden instant action pistols.gif

I think we already have a Dynamic campaign in Arma 1 and that is Warefare or Evolution, but the overall skill and attention and situation awareness in facing human players in a capture the island like gameplay is totally awesome, its strange but I sometimes find myself loving to drive to battles too  tounge2.gif

Best Mp server got to be the Xr server with its warefare invasion version of the warefare concept.

I love the mix of nice and calm and then sudden instant action  pistols.gif

Yea, the Hotshots server is the best, all credits go to Benny, he´s the most talented mapscripter ive seen and one of the friendliest gamers ive met. wish more servers would host our RBTI83 warfare mission.

WOW Rocco you can add something good to a conversation LOL. I knew you could do it. I have a cookie for you.

AVIBIRD 1 When playing this game keep Chuck Norris home!

WOW Rocco you can add something good to a conversation LOL. I knew you could do it. I have a cookie for you.

AVIBIRD 1  When playing this game keep Chuck Norris home!

of course, as long as it isnt a stupid xbox360 whine thread i can...

i should add a "give consoleros their own whine forum" statement in my profile.

=- @ Oct. 12 2008,18:17)]

You whined in a topic that you didn’t have to click, and you seem to whine a lot on the CM forums too.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Ill be sure to warn the mods about you starting flame wars if you needlessly bitch on the CM forums.

Some people need to get a life, you know there are some people who play on consoles out of ease, sorry most of us are not sad enough to go around ignorantly whining about peoples gaming choices on forums.

whistle.gif

You whined in a topic that you didn’t have to click, and you seem to whine a lot on the CM forums too.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Ill be sure to warn the mods about you starting flame wars if you needlessly bitch on the CM forums.

Some people need to get a life, you know there are some people who play on consoles out of ease, sorry most of us are not sad enough to go around ignorantly whining about peoples gaming choices on forums.

whistle.gif

if i check your 7! posts, i see alot of non contructive stuff too and about starting them, look in the mirror and stop telling me where and what to post, i basically just said the same like you did, that console gamers are play it out of ease. i dont need a 19 year old to tell me when to shut up lol.

=- @ Oct. 13 2008,16:03)]

icon_rolleyes.gif

whistle.gif

if i check your 7! posts, i see alot of non contructive stuff too and about starting them, look in the mirror and stop telling me where and what to post, i basically just said the same like you did, that console gamers are play it out of ease. i dont need a 19 year old to tell me when to shut up lol.

What does that even mean? I have made about 3 posts this year, you’ll see I was looking for an answer in someone’s topic, im not the one who starting going on about PC’s in the topic.

To be honest I can barley understand your post, I would be surprised if you’re over 19 with grammar like that.

Anyway, in future if you can’t make a decent post, don’t post at all.

Thanks.

-=[Rocco]=-, ricbar89

Take it to private, thanks.