Sign in to follow this  
allthumbs

love the game, but performance has been bad

I read in the patch notes that performance was improved by up to 100% on some systems. That sounds pretty optimistic though. Here is my old time system:

Pent 4 3.0 w/ ht

2 gig ram

nvidia 6800 128mb (ouch)

I managed in the past to get the game to run fairly decent, but was always plagued by wierd texture issues like trees going all blurry and whatnot, for no apparent reason. Also, whenever I went up in a chopper, at some point the game would crash. Every time.

Can I expect enough improvement with the patch to buy the game once more and try yet again? crazy_o.gif

I have a similar system but with a better video car and only 1,5G ddr400 ram.

I can tell you that with the recent patch the game runs smoother but lets admit, if you want to run it as most people want (smooth max settings) you need to upgrade.

About the crash, it happened alot in the past.. not much often though. Things have improved but of course if you want to run very smooth you might have to set all to low or very low.

Thats my opinion on low systems like ours.

You didn't state which 6800 you have...SE,GT or XT

I played the game with my PIV 3.0, 1gig ddr, 7600GS 512m video fine for a while.

And according to Tom's Hardware a 6800GT averages better fps than a 7600gs

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts....72.html

Playing on my X2 6400+,4 gig ddr2,XP64,3870 512m video I still get blurry textures at times

Its not a bug its a feature,lol

well on my old rig P4 2.8 2gig ram and a Ati X1600 i had it runing ok on low lol now am runing it on a X2 dual core 5600+ Amd with 4 gig ram and a nice new pcie 3650 HD card runs ok on full so yup you need to upgrade wink_o.gif

I read in the patch notes that performance was improved by up to 100% on some systems. That sounds pretty optimistic though. Here is my old time system:

Pent 4 3.0 w/ ht

2 gig ram

nvidia 6800 128mb (ouch)

I managed in the past to get the game to run fairly decent, but was always plagued by wierd texture issues like trees going all blurry and whatnot, for no apparent reason. Also, whenever I went up in a chopper, at some point the game would crash. Every time.

Can I expect enough improvement with the patch to buy the game once more and try yet again?  crazy_o.gif

Are you using Kegety's Low Plants mod. This well help greatly with the 6800.

Your system is 5 years past being new. I wouldn't expect to play anything new with that, not just Arma.

--Ben

Well, I was playing ArmA on my old system that had a AMD64 3200+, 1GB 266MHz DDR2 RAM and a GeForce 6600GT.

Sure, it wasn't pretty since I had to run virtually every graphics setting on 'Low' or 'Lowest' and with a 1500m view distance (i.e. flying wasn't a good idea). That was before the patches improving general performance though, so I bet I could crank the view distance up enough to be more useful in the air.