Sign in to follow this  
iLL

plane thrust with joystick?

hi, when ever i use throttle controll on joystick it seems that theres only two settings the game recongises, on and off, unlike cars where i can use my joystick to controll there precise speed... in planes its either thrust or no thrust... is this a fault my end or is this actually just the game? it makes no sense :S

reason i say this is because perhaps you wanna taxi without full thrust.. or landing... its either i turn thrust off or put thrust on? its stupid !!

It's the game, and yes, it's really stupid trying to land the A10 with a binary throttle control. Really sucks too, wasn't a problem in OFP.

This "feature" was added with a patch, before that patch, it worked like a charm.

I can't tell you how I hate the "new way". It's another reason for me to not play arma more often.

I really hope that in "ArmA VI - The return of the original ofp design" BIS has learned to not include "features" like this OR include BOTH options and let the USER decide what they prefer... banghead.gif

MfG Lee icon_rolleyes.gif

This "feature" was added with a patch, before that patch, it worked like a charm.

Really? Which one? I thought it was like that in ArmA from the start.

I agree though, I hate it too. It's weird that it was made like this. There is still one more patch due out so there is a little bit of hope confused_o.gif

I got a Logitech extreme3dPRO, and the throttle slider works just fine, and has always did....am i missing something here?

I got a Logitech extreme3dPRO, and the throttle slider works just fine, and has always did....am i missing something here?

yep i can confirm that,

i also have the logitech EXTREME3DPRO

and have no problems with thrust control when controlled from the slider.

In the air, its clear that my throttle works just fine. Whenever I throttle down from full (to 1/2) my plane does start slowing down.

Are you talking about that to move a jet on the ground you have to throttle up to 100%? I've always had to do that... going to 100 and as soon as the plane starts moving dialing the thrust down and making a semi circle before going to 100 again and back down to turn around the rest of the way... it is tricky but it's not really bothered me that much.

I get the either full or none thing too. Hopefully its fixed with the next patch, Had to unplug my joystick to fly helicopters too (They go either UPUPUP or DOWNDOWNCRASH when its in)

Just to clarify it's not all or nothing... it's speed up, slow down, and stay at the same speed. So if you want to land, say, you reduce the throttle until you get to the speed you want to fly at, say 190 km/h or whatever, and then put the throttle control to the centre.

You and XxEnigmAxX need to look closer. Move the slider to the centre position and the plane keeps its speed. Anything above that is acceleration, and anything below that it slows down. It's basically working like 3 buttons, instead of smoothly adjusting throttle.

That is the problem. There is no true throttle, just 3 states - accelerate, maintain speed, and brake.

Back in OFP in worked like a throttle, smoothly adjusting power from 0 to 100%.

By the way, I noticed when taking off on a runway that AI seem to be able to adjust their speed somehow. If I have an AI in front of me I can't maintain the same speed on the taxi way, I have to keep accelerating and braking to keep up without crashing into them.

I'm going to test out this three states of throttle thing, but that sounds like the worst implementation of a throttle I've ever played a game with. Really wierd part is, the helicopter throttle is fine, and controls VERY well.

I use a MS Sidewinder Force feedback Pro I've had since 2003, it's served me well. And, I've been dealing with the airplane throttle since 1.00, the German version of Arma, so I don't think it's something that was introduced in a patch.

Alright, so it looks like the extremes on the A-10 are 100 percent throttle, or cut throttle and deploy the air brake. The middle setting is small, almost too hard to hit, and my speed varied from 180 to 380 depending on my speed when I moved to middle throttle. I did notice at the middle setting I slowed down slowly when flying straight and level, so I don't think it's maintaining my speed. When I got down to 180, my air brakes deployed on the middle setting. Also, the actual engine thrust in the middle setting increased when pitched up, and decreased when nose down, although overall I still lost speed.

Hmmm...well, it is not accelerating as i can hold it steady to any values (going straight and leveled that is) in between 300 and 650 no problem (flying the harrier). I know it is not working as it should really, but there is really not a problem flying anyways.

I haven't really paid attention while flying the a10 though, and i don't get to see the brakes too often in 1st person view...

EDIT:

Yeah, the acceleration is very slow at slider 0+, but is there. steady means an 1km + every few seconds, but defo not able to keep it locked to a value

I'm going to test out this three states of throttle thing, but that sounds like the worst implementation of a throttle I've ever played a game with. Really wierd part is, the helicopter throttle is fine, and controls VERY well.

I use a MS Sidewinder Force feedback Pro I've had since 2003, it's served me well. And, I've been dealing with the airplane throttle since 1.00, the German version of Arma, so I don't think it's something that was introduced in a patch.

This throttle implementation was designed with joypads in mind. When using a joypad, no doubt it's quite nice. With a hotas tho it's kind of difficult to figure out.

Really? Which one?

I'm not sure which one. But I'm pretty sure that it worked in the beginning.

Remember the sensitivity settings introduced with patch 1.02 ?

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Joystick_Sensivity_Adjusting

There are two(4 if you count pos & neg) settings for sliders.

1 Slider for rudder and 1 for thrust if you ask me.

MfG Lee

so any chance to get a 0% - 100% smooth throttle into the game?

=- @ Sep. 30 2008,23:56)]so any chance to get a 0% - 100% smooth throttle into the game?

They are making a new patch so who knows what they will put in. I would only fake holding my breath on this one, though.

I really hope someone at BIS is still reading here in the TROUBLESHOOTING section and care about what we say.

If the last patch does not fix stuff like the thrust, the audio muting and other important things, I'm done with ArmA.

Please BIS, fix it!

MfG Lee

I 100% agree. Using a joystick with throttle for fixed wing flight in ArmA ruins the simulation of flight.

I want the throttle to act solely to control engine thrust... When the throttle is at 0%, I do not want the airbrakes extended, I just want to cut engine thrust.

This should be a high priority fix... Implement a HOTAS Joystick checkbox or advanced joystick configuration menu if you must.

I really hope someone at BIS is still reading here in the TROUBLESHOOTING section and care about what we say.

If the last patch does not fix stuff like the thrust, the audio muting and other important things, I'm done with ArmA.

Please BIS, fix it!

MfG Lee

I think that they have proved time and time again that they read the forums and they do care. If they don't implement a change in the throttle for fixed wing aircraft it's not because they don't read or they don't care.

Thanks for all the replys. Its reassuring to know that theirs other people with the same views.

There is a middle point indeed, although its hard to get it on center without experimenting in the air which is stupid, and I found that I gradually lost speed and airbreaks deployed.

Personally I would like my joystick throttle to controll thrust from 0-100%, and if i want airbreaks to just press the backward key, im sure many will agree this is a more sensible way of controlling the plane.

BIS, I hope you will fix the A10'S thrust in the next patch!

What drives me crazy is that for helicopter collective, you push forward on your joystick to ascend, and pull back to descend, backwards from OFP. I wish they would include separate axis settings for fixed wing and helicopter aircraft.

What drives me crazy is that for helicopter collective, you push forward on your joystick to ascend, and pull back to descend, backwards from OFP. I wish they would include separate axis settings for fixed wing and helicopter aircraft.

@ anyone with CH joysticks.

I programmed my throttle to 2 different modes so I can change the thrust-axis with the press of a button. PM me for help if you want. Me myself use the combo CH fighterstick + CH pro throttle + CH pro pedals.

This should be priority #1.  Arma really does the opposite of what is intended by pushing serious simmers away when they find out the aircraft are broken.  Helos and planes are embarassingly awful in Arma. Cobra command for NES was more realistic.