Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Bell

Razani, North Waziristan Map

If I saw the first 'photo' in a newspaper, I would not question whether it was real or not.

Awesome work indeed.

notworthy.gif

Okay, I can take a hint smile_o.gif   Still chugging along here.  Seems a rather endless task just putting in all the vegetation.

arma2008-11-0922-13-24-84.jpg

arma2008-11-0922-19-15-29.jpg

arma2008-11-0922-20-46-85.jpg

arma2008-11-0922-21-48-49.jpg

arma2008-11-0922-23-37-74.jpg

The gratitude is endless too! smile_o.gif

Arma really needs a map with vegetation like this.

Impressive work...

Do you place everything by hand ?

Okay, I can take a hint smile_o.gif   Still chugging along here.  Seems a rather endless task just putting in all the vegetation.

Seriously, you should take a look at the 3DE tool, it can help you out with just this

arma2008-11-0922-20-46-85.jpg

This one is simply  wow_o.gif

Mind you the whole thing has pretty much the same effect on my facial responces biggrin_o.gif

I said previously that this map looks fantastic, and now I have to say that it looks fantastic-er! Seriously, great job. smile_o.gif

Wow..... never saw such a great landscape ingame....

Really amazing.....

I respectfully implore you to keep at it, Nic - looks like an insane map. And if you get it finished for Arma, chances are you won't have to deal with it for Arma II. biggrin_o.gif

Thanks, guys!  Hope it's not a disappointment when you use it smile_o.gif

Performance: Better than Schmalfelden forests  tounge2.gif    It's fine, but since everyone's system and settings are different, it's kind of hard to predict.  I am concerned about how it's going to work when complete with 1-2 million objects.  Only way to know is to complete it and find out I guess.

Placement:  Some by hand, but mostly by random object placement script.  But not just cover the map and go.  Instead many small areas are defined and different densities are selected for each.  And repeated until the area is "filled".  Actually there is no way to put the actual amount of vegetation on the map that would exist.

This is what I wish I could reproduce:

Border100kb.jpg

3DE Tool:  No doubt a coding masterpiece, but a bit much for my fossilized brain to grasp.  Obviously I need to spend more time with it, but there's not much available and the lazy side of me says keep working with what you know.

Settlements and Roads:  Roadnet is in place - look back in the thread.  Eventually I will put in the compounds - again, see above.  I want to finish the terrain and release the map so it can be used for some purpose while I finish putting in the buildings.

ArmA II - I sure the heck hope this will work in it, or at least with minimal modification.  No doubt we will all be (eventually) migrating to the new simulation when it is released, and it would be sad to leave all these maps/islands behind.

Nicholas you got it spot on mate, no game would be able to handle that much vegetation and its been said before, your screenshots look like photographs of the real deal. Keep up the good work, cant wait for this!

just wondering, would it be possible to get the map with without buildings (better as source file), so people could play around with 3DE and hit own versions of it?

Basically that would increase the use of one map.

im waiting this to be realeas like christmas, shame that i cant leave milk and cookies for you...

Quote[/b] ]ust wondering, would it be possible to get the map with without buildings (better as source file), so people could play around with 3DE and hit own versions of it?

This is exactly what I have planned.  First version with everything except buildings.  Next version with structures.  As with Schmalfelden, I will also release the Visitor source files (for both versions).

Great photo, thanks!  I think this just a little farther north on the border (not sure which side <g>), given the wet river and green grass.  But the terraced farm fields, juniper trees, etc are spot on to the area I am attempting to simulate.

BTW there's no way to do terraces in ArmA, so the fields will be just farm fields  Not even sure I will wall off the fields given the small size of the fields (ie, lots of walls).  Drive the AI crazy, I'm sure.

Nicholas Bell

Even though that map is incredible and stuff, a hotlinked 296kb pic is out of question wink_o.gif