Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

Different seasons Differnt colors

Is it possible to simulate different seasons on the same map depending on the time selected for the mission?

Example: In certain date certain plant would have a texture with a color and have different color if the date was other, say like winter and sumer.

Is this possible to modify via script for the same unedited map?

I'm thinking it could not work for the terrain itself because you would need a whole new sat mask for different seasons. The only situation I can think of where that might not apply is a desert, as long as you don't have any grass.

Maybe for the objects, instead of defining different textures in the map, you could define it in the object? So that Tree A picks a certain texture depending on factors like season, weather, etc... I wouldn't know how to do it myself, but I hope a little brainstorming might help you.

The only problem being if you have a mission that runs for a long time, or with time acceleration that, as a result of its long running-time, goes through a transition between two "seasons" (as no matter how many transitional "mini-seasons" you have, you're bound to have two days where the textures transition during the night, so it gets dark in summer and come dawn its autumn). Its a good idea though.

there's a command called setobjecttexture. and in the mission.sqm the month is defined by a number from 1-12 as far as i know. but i don't know how to make it triggered by the date

I'd think it would be MUCH, much easier just to release multiple versions of the map (one for each season). Just modify the textures / etc for each season. No need to mess with funky scripting or anything. Plus, mission makers / players won't be forced to download the winter textures, if they are only making/playing a summer mission.

but i don't know how to make it triggered by the date

Couldn't you tie the command into a switch control in the init.sqf, checking the "date select 1" variable?

Overall though, it might be easier to do it as General Barron has suggested though, simply because of the "transition" date issue that gsleighter has brought up. However, if the shift from one season to another wasn't too dramatic, the player might not really notice it too much. Clearly, going from summer to winter would be noticeable in all but the more tropical environments, so that would have to be taken into consideration. Interesting idea though, it'd be great if it could be made to work.

dude, my scripting knowledge = 0 sad_o.gif

and about making different versions: if u think for a second u might realize that we had that idea already. but as u said it's not as "funky" as an automatic switch. i believe (as long as it's possible to give the models the texture switching script as default init)that it is possible. and ofcourse one could make 4 or more transition states to make it less obvious. and knowing when exactly the seasons switch should make it possible to make NO missions between those two days wink_o.gif . would just be great to have one map that can be easily played in different seasons. or think about it in context of acampaign. coming back to a location different times and seeing how it changed. harvested fields...trees with different leaf colour or grassland with spring flowers smile_o.gif

would be just.......funky biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]forced to download

noone will suffer from that with today's download speed. and some MBs more for such a feature should be acceptable.

would just be great to have one map that can be easily played in different seasons. or think about it in context of acampaign. coming back to a location different times and seeing how it changed. harvested fields...trees with different leaf colour or grassland with spring flowers smile_o.gif

All I'm saying is that you could do the exact same thing, by simply configuring 4 different islands. Use the exact same source data, just swap out some textures between the 4. Put them all in the same pbo if you want.

That just seems much easier than trying to create some crazy scripted solution. And I don't see what the difference is. Unless you want the player to see a seasonal transition within ONE mission, there is absolutely no need to let the map dynamically change seasons. Within a campaign or series of missions, the player won't be able to know or care one way or another.