Sign in to follow this  
eble

F35 Lightning II - JSF

F35 Lightning II - joint Strike Fighter

Conversion of Footmunch's OFP addon By Southy

‘The Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II is a single-seat, single-engine, stealth-capable military strike fighter, a multi-role aircraft that can perform close air support, tactical bombing, and air superiority fighter missions.’

F35.jpg

Versions:

US Airforce   (dark grey)

US Navy       (grey)

US Marines    (light grey) (Vtol)

USAF Stealth - (internal weapons only)

RAF              (light grey) (vtol)

RAAF            (light grey)  (vtol)

Features include:

Afterburner, sonic boom and vapour, Special FX by Lethal edited by Gnat and further modified by the Project RACS Mod/Scars

Multi weapon loadout:

4 x AGM-154 JSOW  (external)

2 x GBU-32 JDAM(internal weapon bay)

4 x AIM-120D ASRAAM (2 x internal weapon bay, 2 x external wing mounted)

script work thanks to namman2

4 colour schemes updated by eddyD

Random unit numbers

Normal and specular textures

Modified flight model including (VTOL)

(Thanks to Gnat for help with the VTOL animations)

Due to things beyond my control I have to release this addon now.

The VTOL system works well with a joystick, I've not tested a KB with it, I'm sorry but it going to have to be trial and error, these things arn't easy to fly in real life  smile_o.gif

To land from VTOL ease the nose forward about 18knts it will land nicely, no scripts used for the VTOL it's all arma engine work.

At the moment I'm happy with it, needs a 'true' shadow lod (has a basic one) and damage textures(all in place not sure why there not showing up).

Known issues:

Cockpit dash textures really need replacing/updating.

It's all set guys grab it fly it about and report back any major problems, I'll get onto it while I can.

Thanks to the Internode Servers for hosting my constant beta tests.

Above all have fun guys.

Click on the TV to goto my youtube page.

Channel 1 - F35 (old clip)

channel 2 - F111

channel 3 - Su-24, Mig-23 and Mig-27 (coming soon)

channel 4 - Tog Gun F-14

<OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" WIDTH=450 HEIGHT=332><PARAM NAME=MOVIE VALUE=http://www.armedassault.eu/Television/BISvideo.swf?vquality=hq&youtubeID1=O4iUDOgBWWQ&linkID1=http://au.youtube.com/user/eblevinda/&youtubeID2=a6VRO9b3xQI&linkID2=&youtubeID3=Xa_mWynfTIY&linkID3=&youtubeID4=TS_5TXoSKsA&linkID4=&><PARAM NAME=PLAY VALUE=TRUE><PARAM NAME=LOOP VALUE=TRUE><PARAM NAME=QUALITY VALUE=HIGH><EMBED SRC=http://www.armedassault.eu/Television/BISvideo.swf?vquality=hq&youtubeID1=O4iUDOgBWWQ&linkID1=http://au.youtube.com/user/eblevinda/&youtubeID2=a6VRO9b3xQI&linkID2=&youtubeID3=Xa_mWynfTIY&linkID3=&youtubeID4=TS_5TXoSKsA&linkID4=& WIDTH=450 HEIGHT=332 PLAY=TRUE LOOP=TRUE QUALITY=HIGH></EMBED></OBJECT>

04/02/2009

change log:

- adjusted Jdam release (shouldn't hit aircraft on release)

- min height for Jdam release 100m

27/12/08

V3.0 - texture fix

26/12/08

V2.75

- new texture for aim120

- animated shadows for elevators

- correct elevator animation

- fixed Jdam hitting plane when dropped

24/12/2008 Beta V2.5

Being Christmas and all, I've gone back and given the F35 a once over and made a beta 2.

addon now includes:

F35C variant with larger wings/control areas (will install hook for final version)

Binarized PBO (should fix all errors)

Animated canopy

new canopy glass textures

revised rvmats/spec maps (now not so super shiny)

change flight model (more in line with other aircraft addons)

toned down afterburner included spearate sound (tweaked for multiplay)

sonic boom with sound @ 855(audible on the ground)

lots of little tweaks

unfortunately the previous version had the wrong files etc, no excuses, all done now.

as an added bonus I've had time to add:

pilot optics for the forward targetting system.

XEH compatible

The F35 still is capable of VTOL from standstill, for the final release I will probably change this to mirror the harriers handling.

Have fun all

Southy

Download beta V3.0 here:

F35 Beta V3.25

Hey mate, looks nice. But after loading it up in the mission editor it seems the pilot is not sitting in his seat correctly and at the right height so you can't see over the aircrafts cockpit instruments.

smile_o.gif

Good effort though.

AWesome..mate..got to try this one out..!! yay.gif

Its just perfect,the choice, the model, the flight model, awesome, perfect for the warfare in arma.. not too fast, not too weak.. just great.

Best Plane Addon so far i think.

I mirror previous comments on a very good job but I noted one error. I placed all 6 variants in the editor and noticed that the USAF Strike variant has Australian markings, apart from that very good.

Duca

First of all thanks for your addon! This is definitly one of the fighter aircraft that I anticipate the most to see in ArmA.

I've been trying the F-35 and so far I liked of what I seen and I liked.

However I have one problem to report regarding specifically the VTOL version of the F-35, the F-35B and the problem is that it's possible to take off vertically with the aircraft but it's impossible to land vertically (a thing which should be much "easier") with the F-35B. The problem seems to be related to the fact that when we select the "auto-hover" option the aircraft starts almost imediatly to take off even if the throttle is totally cut back which shouldn't IMO happen - For example it doesn't happen with BIS Harrier. The F-35B should only take off vertically (with "auto-hover" on) when the player applies the throttle.

One question about the stealth capability. Is it one of those stealth fighters in Arma where you just can't lock on? Remember seeing F-117 addon that was "unlockable", which made it kind of useless in this game due to the fact that we have no proper modern AA defences in Arma. If the addon is indestructable, it will quickly become absolete, due to the fact that it is boring. Only cheaters would enjoy such addons. Balance is a big deal in this game. So, how does the stealth work in this addon?

First time i've overtaken my own AA missile in ArmA, wicked. biggrin_o.gif

Loving the new weapons systems too, great job.

Nice looking models, but I have a quick question about the VTOL variants. From everything that I've read about the F-35, it will be STOVL capable but not VTOL. So I'm curious about if having VTOL on the F-35 is accurate or not. If it is, that's good news, I'd love to read about it for sure. If not, I'm curious about why the VTOL variants exist. Is it for making the vertical landings possible? Or is there some other reason for making this plane VTOL-capable?

The current version makes VT possible (probably unrealisitic with a full load) but seems to make VL more difficult.

This bird well and truly rocks! Fast, agile (increase the rollrate a little and it'll be perfect), and accelerates like a bat out of hell!

A few minor quirks (what would a beta version be without them?), some weird shadows on the elevators at certain deflections , and the markings on the wings go black when you bank.

The ASRAAM is not the AIM-120D, it's AIM-132.

Finally, as a curiosity, the canopy is for the X-35. Probaly not much to do about without some serious O2 work, not that it matter as long as it's fun to fly.

One question about the stealth capability. Is it one of those stealth fighters in Arma where you just can't lock on? Remember seeing F-117 addon that was "unlockable", which made it kind of useless in this game due to the fact that we have no proper modern AA defences in Arma. If the addon is indestructable, it will quickly become absolete, due to the fact that it is boring. Only cheaters would enjoy such addons. Balance is a big deal in this game. So, how does the stealth work in this addon?

The thing I've tried to do with the stealth version is make it harder to detect, but yes you can lock onto as normal, so good hunting.

Quote[/b] ]A few minor quirks (what would a beta version be without them?), some weird shadows on the elevators at certain deflections , and the markings on the wings go black when you bank.

The ASRAAM is not the AIM-120D, it's AIM-132.

Finally, as a curiosity, the canopy is for the X-35. Probaly not much to do about without some serious O2 work, not that it matter as long as it's fun to fly.

When the original model was created the X-35 was the only reference we had, without a total rework, the models not going to change sorry.

The markings changing colour is down to the poor shadow model I'm using, once that's fixed, it should fix the problem, the weapons had a late change from ASRAAM AIM 132 to AIM 120D hence the naming problem I'll fix it up next version.

Quote[/b] ]I mirror previous comments on a very good job but I noted one error. I placed all 6 variants in the editor and noticed that the USAF Strike variant has Australian markings, apart from that very good.

Duca

I'll go back and re- do that, missed it, having some many versions got messy at times, sorry

Quote[/b] ]I've been trying the F-35 and so far I liked of what I seen and I liked.

However I have one problem to report regarding specifically the VTOL version of the F-35, the F-35B and the problem is that it's possible to take off vertically with the aircraft but it's impossible to land vertically (a thing which should be much "easier") with the F-35B. The problem seems to be related to the fact that when we select the "auto-hover" option the aircraft starts almost imediatly to take off even if the throttle is totally cut back which shouldn't IMO happen - For example it doesn't happen with BIS Harrier. The F-35B should only take off vertically (with "auto-hover" on) when the player applies the throttle.

This is down to how the VTOL animations work in arma, when auto-hover is applied, you use negetive thrust to take off (auto), full power kicks it into short takeoffs, it takes time to understand the way it works, to land from VTOL ease the nose 18knts forward and it land nicely.

Southy

So its lockable, but just harder to detect?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thats was the plan, but from all my tests, its only just a bit harder to detect, than normal, you can still see it at 4000m etc.

I think its more down the aircraft your in and the way it uses it own radar.

Southy

Great addon, thanks!

Dont forget to use Gnat's Su33 for OPFOR when using this. Awesome air fights and balanced. Both with these great effects like afterburner/vapour effects etc.

Dont forget Myke's Dynamic Viewdistance addon for nicest A/C experience wink_o.gif

Regards

Alex

This is due to the ArmA engine - currently, the 'autohover' action on the fixed-wing jets points the jet thrust downwards, and permanently sets the throttle at a set value. in the ArmA harrier, this is set so the aircraft slowly descends, and it seems southy has set it so the F-35 slowly climbs. unfortunately there is NO way to directly control the throttle to climb/descend in this mode, and the player can only descend if they point the nose downwards and 'trick' the game engine into cutting the throttle for you.

given this limitation, personally, I think it would be better if it handled in autohover mode in the same fashion as the harrier - as in it should slowly descend in the hover as opposed to climb. it seems odd that I can take off vertically with a full warload, but then have to land either conventionally or in a real awkward 'forward crab' motion at the end of a mission.