Sign in to follow this  
Bushmonkey

ArmA 2 vs OFP 2

Ok i have watched a few videos on ArmA 2 and a few videos on OFP 2 from Liepzing game convention.

It looks like OFP 2 will have more deatail, better animations (including reload animations) and very good AI. Good multiplayer system.

ArmA 2 is going to have improved animations and improved AI. Better multiplayer experiance and its just going to be an improved version of ArmA sad_o.gif Thats what i know so far.

Post your ideas, which one will i spend my 40-50 dollars on? I hope BI (will improve animations a lot) And remove annoying button menu thingy on the side! Help me decide! They both seem to be coming out Q1 2009.

cant advise at the mo really due to the fact we are all going on really limited information...  

no one knows what the release candidates for either game are going to be like - and without a playtest of finished code its too hard to call.

If pushed im gonna say Arma2.. mainly because of the established modders out there who wont have to learn too much new stuff in order to continue to crank out great work. supposedly. Its in mod teams that a PC games longevity seems to stem from ive found. Arma2 will have a headstart over OFP2 in that respect.

I don't think that its adviseble to continue this thread since it will lead to endless ArmA/OFP 2 / BIS / CM bashing ... crazy_o.gif

At this point, its impossible to tell anything. There has been very little released about OFP2 and even less actually shown.

And this is a kinda bad place to ask this question. You are posting it on a BIS board to support ArmA2. So most of the people here are fans of the ArmA series, loyal to BIS, and not huge Codemasters fans. Thus any awnsers you get here are subject to bias. Better to go post this question an a neutral board somewhere, that has nothing specific to do with either ArmA2 or OFP2.

At this point, its impossible to tell anything.

At this point im confident to say that Arma 2 is a sure buy and OPF2 is a maybe, CM have yet to show us a game.

x2.

I most probably know what I'll get with Arma 2 (sexier and more streamlined Arma with better atmosphere), while OFP 2 is still a huge question mark... (Ok, Awsome, abysmal ?)

Arma 2 will probably be released earlier, so you'll have plenty of time to play the demo before you make up you mind.

one thing, the OFP 2 vids are just barely visible screens in the background and renders whereas the arma 2 ones were clear videos showing gameplay, we need to see proper footage of OFP2.

Ok i have watched a few videos on ArmA 2 and a few videos on OFP 2 from Liepzing game convention.

It looks like OFP 2 will have more deatail, better animations (including reload animations) and very good AI. Good multiplayer system.

ArmA 2 is going to have improved animations and improved AI. Better multiplayer experiance and its just going to be an improved version of ArmA sad_o.gif Thats what i know so far.

Post your ideas, which one will i spend my 40-50 dollars on? I hope BI (will improve animations a lot) And remove annoying button menu thingy on the side! Help me decide! They both seem to be coming out Q1 2009.

Sounds to me like the codemasters hype monster has already made you make your mind up, you seem pretty set on OFP2.

Don't write ArmA2 off as just "improved ArmA" though. And don't believe everything you see in renders. I could make a plain old cube look pretty if I rendered it right. Doesn't mean the actual ingame result will look anywhere near that pretty.

I think OFP2 will have some features that are better then ArmA/ArmA2 and ArmA 2 will have some features that are better then OFP2, the big difference is Codemasters have far more resources and a bigger team of developers... so we will have to wait and see until a demo comes out.

The big improvement needed in ArmA for me (which has not been seen or stated by BIS) is vehicle physics and better control support for joysticks etc, there's no point in having good physics if the controls in game is done poorly.

I think OFP2 will have some features that are better then ArmA/ArmA2 and ArmA 2 will have some features that are better then OFP2, the big difference is Codemasters have far more resources and a bigger team of developers... so we will have to wait and see until a demo comes out.

The big improvement needed in ArmA for me (which has not been seen or stated by BIS) is vehicle physics and better control support for joysticks etc, there's no point in having good physics if the controls in game is done poorly.

Joystick? Idont see where the advantage of having a joystick would be icon_rolleyes.gif

Joystick? Idont see where the advantage of having a joystick would be

If you're only half serious about flying, you have the answer...

Joystick? Idont see where the advantage of having a joystick would be  icon_rolleyes.gif

You obviously haven't played a decent flight or car sim where precision is needed. I'm not expecting ArmA to have 100% realistic physics and controls, but semi realistic physics with good controls would be so much better then ArmA currently is.

I've said it many times but using a joystick in OFP has far better input then what ArmA does, it's a lot smoother overall (especially throttle control in planes) I think BIS changed something going from OFP to OFP Elite for XBOX sad_o.gif

I feel that OPF2 will be better, not because I prefer CM over BI, it's just that CM have worked on it for a solid 7 years, they managed to get the best model and texture artists from all over the world, They seem very confident in the product which is always a good sign, and because CM have places all over the world to make the game in, and simply, because those in game videos we saw at Leipzig were stunning.

BI are the original creators, and they know what to do, but ArmA was too much like OPF, also, BI shouldn't have been faffing around with ArmA, they should have just kept on working with the game 2 project, and from what i've seen the the ArmA 2 videos, is a upgraded version of ArmA with some new models and textures thrown in, the AI still look clumsy in some parts of the video (Like turning around and walking with their back towards the enemy), the Animations (which were the worst part of ArmA) are still there, the Stand to Prone animation was dreadful.

But anyway, Time will tell, to be honest, if it wasn't for the community add-ons, I would have given up with the ArmA series a long time ago.

At this point im confident to say that Arma 2 is a sure buy and OPF2 is a maybe, CM have yet to show us a game.

That could be because BIS has just been makeing minor additions to the same game now for 7 years, so they will always have something playable to show ... but CM is building a whole new game basiclly from scratch. So 6-8 months from release (if the q1 2009 release dates stay true) its no real supprise CM dosn't have a ton to show. That last 6 months of a new games development is when it all comes together, and its likely we'll start to see more from it in the next few months.

Then and only then, when we see OFP2 up and running at full potential, will anyone be able to form a full opinion as to which is better... any opinion formed before that, at least about the look of the game, is simply bias and unsupported by facts. So my original statement is true... without seeing Codemasters game developed to the same point as ArmA2, its impossible to tell which one will be better.

Tho I will say this... Codemasters seems to be adding a lot of features the community has been asking for from BIS over the last few years. It seems they might have listened to the community post Flashpoint alot better then BIS has. This is likely because they know doing that will help sell the game... or perhaps they actually care what the community says. Where BIS clearly just does what THEY want, and don't seem to put as much stock into the many, many good community suggestions that have been thrown around since Flashpoint. Thats going to be a huge selling point to the countless OFP and ArmA1 fans who are getting kinda tierd of playing the same game for 7 years now.

So the potential is there for OFP2 to absolutly crush ArmA2... but since ArmA2 is build on top of an existing platform, it might well be a better looking, better running game. Right now its a toss up... only time will tell who will win.

I feel that OPF2 will be better, not because I prefer CM over BI, it's just that CM have worked on it for a solid 7 years,

Actually work started quite recently, preparations didnt start before 2005/6 IIRC. (Some vague reports about CM hiring for OFP2)

I'm leaning more towards OFP2. That does not mean I think ArmA2 is gonna be crap, it looks very good in fact, maybe even better in terms of what has been presented thus far, but I kinda want a new game sim experience and to me, ArmA2 is ArmA just updated in many spots. I will probably get both, but I'm more excited for OFP2 as of right now.

I'm just glad that we have 2 great games coming in this catagory rather then just one.

It's strange. Although I am expecting ArmA 2 to be the superior product given what has been presented thus far, I am hoping Codemasters will not tarnish Flashpoint's name with their game. I have yet to decide for certain if I will purchase one or the other, nor have I even decided I will buy either game! It all comes down to what they each "bring to the table." It sure will be an interesting race, regardless. smile_o.gif

- dRb

Buy both!

nener.gif

Really, I am in agreement with others. There just not enough information about either product yet. I am actively watching both. I think OFP2 will be releasing for the Playstation 3, and not ArmA2.  sad_o.gif  I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling looking at the front page of the website. Next Gen Console (single) and TBD don't look good for the PS3 system. Shame.

Although I feel Arma was a real let down (for me anyway) and looking at the number of servers I dont think I'm alone I will still be getting Arma 2 for sure, but initial impressions of OFP2 I feel it looks better than Arma 2, also codemasters have a lot of funding behind them, I think BIS made a real mess with getting publishers for Arma and they really need the backing of a big name but it doesnt look likely..

I'll try both but OFP2 looks more likely and I'm sure they'll make a proper MP interface not a scrappy one like in Arma.

That could be because BIS has just been makeing minor additions to the same game now for 7 years, so they will always have something playable to show ... but CM is building a whole new game basiclly from scratch. So 6-8 months from release (if the q1 2009 release dates stay true) its no real supprise CM dosn't have a ton to show. That last 6 months of a new games development is when it all comes together, and its likely we'll start to see more from it in the next few months.

Then and only then, when we see OFP2 up and running at full potential, will anyone be able to form a full opinion as to which is better... any opinion formed before that, at least about the look of the game, is simply bias and unsupported by facts. So my original statement is true... without seeing Codemasters game developed to the same point as ArmA2, its impossible to tell which one will be better.

Tho I will say this... Codemasters seems to be adding a lot of features the community has been asking for from BIS over the last few years. It seems they might have listened to the community post Flashpoint alot better then BIS has. This is likely because they know doing that will help sell the game... or perhaps they actually care what the community says. Where BIS clearly just does what THEY want, and don't seem to put as much stock into the many, many good community suggestions that have been thrown around since Flashpoint. Thats going to be a huge selling point to the countless OFP and ArmA1 fans who are getting kinda tierd of playing the same game for 7 years now.

So the potential is there for OFP2 to absolutly crush ArmA2... but since ArmA2 is build on top of an existing platform, it might well be a better looking, better running game. Right now its a toss up... only time will tell who will win.

Minor aditions..

I understand when something pops out of nowhere it usually causes a greater impression but the aditions and improvements that led to the current version of the BIS engine are far from minor.

From bringing it up to DX9, satellite terrain data and multiple detail layers, terrain and data streaming, skeleton based animation, netcode improvement plus JIP and VON, new scripting language and comands, improved water simulation, improved sound engine, ambient life, animated vegetation (wind), improved ballistic code, material penetration and deflection, draw distance and increased number of world decoration, 3D iron sights, new vehicle classes, multiple turret support, etc.

The foundation might be the same but many things were implemented or rebuilt, a better game could have been made out of this improved technology but we all know why things turned out the way they did and we were lucky to receive prime support and free aditions/content.

I believe game development is a very complex field of work so i dont consider anything to be minor..

Listening to the comunity.. hello, does anyone hear meh?!

What you say is just rude, do you remember when everyone wanted a bridge to blow up? motorcycles? Handguns? Female character models? How about 3D iron sights and animated trigger fingers? Well... i believe they try.

Its just that they just cant make everything we want because they cant make everything they want, no one can do everything and i dont know what OPF2 will have that Arma 2 wont but i know Arma 2 will have a good feature set. Thats why we are here, not because of what the game lacks but because of what it has to offer (and other games lack).

Conclusion?

I think Arma II is going to be a great game, with a nice SP campaign, great MP and editing potential.

I have no idea about OPF2 because i havent seen it, i havent seen its a.i. involved in a large battle or a huge detailed pice of ground with 2/3 km view distance, havent seen its editor, havent seen anything conclusive really.

Im not going to deny one product in favor of the other like a fanboy, if both are good i'll grab both and be happy about it, i just happen to think that BIS is more likely to create the product that im after, CM being a big corporation is more likely to make a product aimed for the mass market.

Minor aditions..

I understand when something pops out of nowhere it usually causes a greater impression but the aditions and improvements that led to the current version of the BIS engine are far from minor.

From bringing it up to DX9, satellite terrain data and multiple detail layers, terrain and data streaming, skeleton based animation, netcode improvement plus JIP and VON, new scripting language and comands, improved water simulation, improved sound engine, ambient life, animated vegetation (wind), improved ballistic code, material penetration and deflection, draw distance and increased number of world decoration, 3D iron sights, new vehicle classes, multiple turret support, etc.

The foundation might be the same but many things were implemented or rebuilt, a better game could have been made out of this improved technology but we all know why things turned out the way they did and we were lucky to receive prime support and free aditions/content.

I believe game development is a very complex field of work so i dont consider anything to be minor..

Listening to the comunity.. hello, does anyone hear meh?!

What you say is just rude, do you remember when everyone wanted a bridge to blow up? motorcycles? Handguns? Female character models? How about 3D iron sights and animated trigger fingers? Well... i believe they try.

Its just that they just cant make everything we want because they cant make everything they want, no one can do everything and i dont know what OPF2 will have that Arma 2 wont but i know Arma 2 will have a good feature set. Thats why we are here, not because of what the game lacks but because of what it has to offer (and other games lack).

Conclusion?

I think Arma II is going to be a great game, with a nice SP campaign, great MP and editing potential.

I have no idea about OPF2 because i havent seen it, i havent seen its a.i. involved in a large battle or a huge detailed pice of ground with 2/3 km view distance, havent seen its editor, havent seen anything conclusive really.

Im not going to deny one product in favor of the other like a fanboy, if both are good i'll grab both and be happy about it, i just happen to think that BIS is more likely to create the product that im after, CM being a big corporation is more likely to make a product aimed for the mass market.

Well said smile_o.gif

Death by Desync.. I will buy both but if I can't play the game online then whats the point. ArmA2 looks to be shaping up nicely but if I can't play a game online with 15-20 players without the server crappin out whats the point. OFP2 looks ok but like mentioned above theres aint hardly nothing out there cept a cpl trailers. I'm sure some will come in time an only time will tell. But like i said a big factor for me is goin to be mp compatibility.