Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

EricM's Kamov KA-52 Alligator Released

Thanks guys for the nice words and RKSL for the tweaks and release. Basicaly, this is my very first config work, so please bear with me. In order to keep it simple what I did is a basicaly a two-seater KA50 with "glass cockpit". With that in mind anything related to functionalities is probably the same as BIS Ka50 :

- Gun : The gun has same characteristics as BIS Ka50 (rate of fire, accuracy), except that you can man it a little (realistic values left, right, up and down). I think that in real life the whole chopper can turn to follow the gun, but that's beyond me.

- Gun cam : I attached the guncam to the gun movement, not to the upper sensor turret, because you cannot switch the gunner view from one point to another according to the weapon you select. Ideal would be : Missiles = Sensor ball, Gun = Bellycam ; but by putting the gunnerview always on the sensor ball, you cannot see what you're shooting below, so I chose the other way... The Sensor ball turns a little with the gun too.

- Landing : It was pretty easy to land before, especially with the dampers. This must be due to new center of gravity tweaks by RKSL, but if it flies better...

- Missiles : These are tubes with a small cap (have a look, it's modelled). The missile is within, so the tubes stay when fired. VIKHR missiles are the same as BIS Ka50 for sake of compatibility and simplicity. And they seem to have air-air capabilities in real life...

- XEH : I didn't include any fancy event handlers, only very basic defines inspired by BIS choppers (Ka50 & AH1Z). Don't know why there would be any trouble why other addons...

Thanks and have fun.

Hi Eric, thanks for this truly fantastic work. the model & textures are masterpieces imo, especially the rotors are awesome modelwise (would like the ka-50 rotors to look like this). also this time you got the glossiness 100% right.

and Rock, it handles extremely nice. great work!!

Quote[/b] ]also this time you got the glossiness 100% right.

thanks for noticing... I spent some time tweaking the rvmats, specular textures and looking at reference photos...

Great addon, can't wait to see your Mi-24 with XEH compatibility like this one.

Tested with flares etc but it doesnt work due to lack of Extended Eventhandlers i think. Would be great to get that in this smile_o.gif

Regards

Alex

72 @ Sep. 15 2008,15:15)]Tested with flares etc but it doesnt work due to lack of Extended Eventhandlers i think. Would be great to get that in this smile_o.gif

Regards

Alex

well, maybe you made a mistake because i have working flares and tracers...

Eric mate, fantastic job on this. The specular/rvmat work is exceptionally good.

There are a couple of very minor external model issues you might want to take a look at:

The blade-antenna on the nose is levitating above the surface or the radome.

http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hokum1nx6.jpg

Having a single-sided faces with an alpha texture on a 3D structure like the canon's muzzle-brake looks a bit odd from certain angles. It might be worth selecting the muzzle brake, duplicating it, reversing the duplicated faces then merging the verts together so the texture is on both sided of the model.

http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hokum2ed6.jpg

Dunno if this is possible, but can the geometry for the rotor mast and blades be hidden when the helicopter is in a destroyed state like they are in the resolution LODs? If the chopper ends up belly-up at the moment it appears to levitate, as it rests on the geometry of the now invisible rotors.

http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hokum3qh5.jpg

72 @ Sep. 15 2008,15:15)]Tested with flares etc but it doesnt work due to lack of Extended Eventhandlers i think. Would be great to get that in this smile_o.gif

Regards

Alex

you only have to add its class name to de DTA file  wink_o.gif

btw, the dammage textures are just inlove.gifnotworthy.gifwow_o.gif

Wow

This is "the shit", probably the best OPFOR addon I have seen since the game came out.

Someone send that man a case of beer, and some dancing girls.

BA

Yeah about a month ago i was like looking at the 52 on google saying to my self, damm i wish someone could make a good one of these.. and now here we are with some of the finest aircraft makers with a completed KA-52.. its like a dream lol yay.gif

Fantastic work Eric, i´m stunned by the excellent quality of this addon.

I hate to ask but do you have plans for further addons?

You made Mi-24 now Ka-52. How about a Mi-28N?

A Havoc in this quality would be amazing smile_o.gif

Thank-you for sharing this great piece of work.

p.s. a small request for NOE/contour flight:

This question goes for the Hind and for the new Ka52, and for any other helicopters for ArmA really:

The automatic landing gear is great, but not so great if you actually don't want it down at the time.

I don't know if it would even be possible to choose whether to use 'gear up' + 'gear down' commands instead of the automatic if you prefer it that way?

Normally I fly first person anyway, but even then the landing gear continually extending / retracting can get distracting when flying down in the dirt. An extra command in the menu to toggle manual/auto gear would do it - if the engine could support this of course.

Thanks for the nice words and reports.

I have no plan for a Mi-28 at the moment, I hoped someone would have made one in the meantime... Who knows for the future, if no one else does... Though it'll probably be for Arma 2 by the time it's ready....

Meanwhile, I wanted to try something else for a change... probably a small map to start with.

No problem, Eric. Looking forward to everything which comes from you.

Mi-28 would make sense for the future (ArmA2) since it isn´t included as far as we know.