Sign in to follow this  
chris330

Creating custom unit animations in ArmA

Hi,

How does one go about making a custom unit animation in ArmA? I've had a look on OFPEC's editing depot and found f/a. I know in OFP I used Dschulle's OFPAnim but I've heard ArmA anims are a different ball game. Furthermore I would imagine config relations to anims in ArmA are completely different too.

I made a really obvious and basic title to help anyone who comes searching through here in the future too. Can anyone who knows just give a quick bullet pointed description of the key differences, utilities needed and config issues related for both me and others. Many thanks.

Custom anims are made in O2 now.

You need the BIS sample skeleton, create new keyframes, pose it, then export the .rtm from O2 by right-clicking the keyframes window and choosing 'export' matrices from the menu. According to Messiah (who I've been making the .rtms for), configing them is completely the same as it was in OFP.

I wrote an okay-ish tutorial on the basics of it a few weeks ago for the rest of the guys at UKF, and passed it on to a couple of other people for their opinions, with the intent on doing a public version based on the feedback I got from the draft, and stuff other people learned from their own experimentation with animating. It doesn't explicitly show you how to do nice smooth animations, but does show you how to move the limbs relative to the joints properly in O2.

I haven't got around to re-writing it yet, and my ISP's buggered me about by deleting its FTP system that I hosted the draft and the accompanying images on, so I can't send you that either. I'll see about getting the finished article done and make arrangements to have it all hosted on pukf.net soonish though.

I'm sure OFPEC will be happy to mirror that tutorial too, so that people who go looking for a tute in the future can find one easily enough biggrin_o.gif

thumbs-up.gif Thumbs up for tutorial-writing! (also - doesn't this belong in the configs section?)

Regards,

Wolfrug

That's great, thanks for the information guys I wouldn't have known where to start without it, thanks thumbs-up.gif

Would be nice to know if your effort can be transmitted to ArmA2, so far the animations are looking the same in the preAlpha vid's of ArmA2