Sign in to follow this  
Chriz6662

Google earth height?

hi!

I wonder from which height do you recommend to take pictures from Google Earth?

Is one pixel from GE 1m in Visitor3/ArmA?

thx

chriz

I prefer 800m to 1km, depending on how hi-res the Imagery actually is there's areas of Europe that don't have 1m res imagery, so going that close would be pointless and time consuming. I also find taking a wide shot of the area and lining it up with grid coordinates helps a lot when you're pasting all the little pieces of imagery together. The bigger your monitor, the easier it is, too.

Don't forget to turn off terrain geometry for the duration while you take your GE screenshots also. You don't need that extra distortion for flat-mapping in Visitor smile_o.gif

thx for your tips. I have mapped a 3km x 3km area in europe and it works perfect.

I have taken the pictures from 1.21 km height, so my Grid in GE Matches the Grid size in Photoshop.

cu

chriz

If you are using MicroDem you can get the exact GE overlay from within teh program. It will take you to the exact location and will overlay it to GE. smile_o.gif

Open DEM in MicroDem

Right click on the Map

Load > Google Earth Overlay

It will open GE and put a transparent overlay to GE of teh exact area.

wink_o.gif

Hey Crawler...I guess, I dont get it. I dl and inst. MD and ran it. So I opend Open DEM in MicroDEM.

But once I selected openDEM I have to select a DEM file, but where shall I get it from, when I actually want to get it.... crazy_o.gif

I thought you knew how to get DEMs, height maps.

Maybe the easiest way is to get the below overlay to GE.

http://www.ambiotek.com/topoview

Check here...

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=27052

This will download an overlay for GE and will show the available DEM files for your region.

You click on the one you need in GE and download.

Once you download and open in MicroDem, select the exact region you are focused on by

right click-> modify map area->subset&zoom

You can also save the file as grayscale png and use it as heightmap for V3.

rightclick map-> display parameters-> elevation-> grayscale

Play with MicroDem. It's a bit complicated but once you get the hang of it, things are much easier.

Later follow the procedure above.

Hope this helps..

Yeah...that would help if I could get the DEM files as explained in the Forum you linked to. I did as he told in his Tutorial, but I have no possibility there to download the DEM files....The respective buttons wont appear...do you know why?

Can you tell me please how to get the DEM files in Google Earth?

Edit: Well, I think the DEM file function is no more supported in GE...may that be?

Hes Posting in his Tutorial:

Quote[/b] ]Put a tick in the box next to SRTM2 and you should see loads of boxes appear over the globe, each with a green dot in the middle.

I can do as much as I want to...no green buttons appears or any other thing happens...

looks like the server is down or link is not working...maybe try again later.

http://seamless.usgs.gov/ is a great source of elevation data, the US data is pretty high fidelity at 10m resolution for height maps(with 1m res satellite data in 5k tiles, to boot), and it's easy to use once you've sorted out the interface. Also gives you access to data in Geotiff format.

http://seamless.usgs.gov/ is a great source of elevation data, the US data is pretty high fidelity at 10m resolution for height maps(with 1m res satellite data in 5k tiles, to boot), and it's easy to use once you've sorted out the interface. Also gives you access to data in Geotiff format.

Thanks, I gonna try it

looks like the server is down or link is not working...maybe try again later.

If you want to check it out..it works now.

i got everything working so far. only one thing whats left is that my greyscale picture is 8bit so it gives me trouble in visitor. ive modified it to 16bit greyscale in paintshop pro photo x2 but then it says it can only be saved as 24 bit image?

edit:

nevermind found a option with photoshop to make it a 16bit greyscale

Edited by Painmr