Sign in to follow this  
maruk

ARMA II - UH-1Y Venom In-Game Sounds

if the overall sound quality is as good as those two samples, i´m going to buy ArmA II just because of the sound! Great work guys, keep it up!

With the new sound engine, will sounds be different in distance?

Currently a skoda sounds the same no matter if it is 100 meters or 1000 meters away except for lower volume.

Listening to the Heli game sounds Maruk posted, i suggest to make the duration much much longer.

Especially the fire-up/starting of the turbine(s) alone, before you gear-in and let the propellers starting to turn (which itself should take longer too).

Other than that a absolutely HUGE progress from Arma1

sounds!

Does anyone know if there will be touchdown sounds for planes and helicopters ? That would be awesome.

With the new sound engine, will sounds be different in distance?

Yes.

Listening to the Heli game sounds Maruk posted, i suggest to make the duration much much longer.

This is of course related to the overall time it takes to turn the engine on and fly in the game.

It's already quite long for gaming habits of many people so I think it's a good compromise between realism and more instant fun that many people expect in games (and no, I am not interested discussing realism versus fun agaim tounge2.gif

Especially the fire-up/starting of the turbine(s) alone, before you gear-in and let the propellers starting to turn (which itself should take longer too).

Other than that a absolutely HUGE progress from Arma1

sounds!

You could still simulate that by yourself, since the engine doesn't turn on immediately after you jump in. Except of course if you leave your collective up, but that's not very professional now.

It's entirely optional :P

Serclaes, so you can make a delay AFTER pressing the "Q" key, to implement a sound for longer turbine starting, BEFORE the rotors themselves starting to rotate.

Quote[/b] ]This is of course related to the overall time it takes to turn the engine on and fly in the game.

It's already quite long for gaming habits of many people so I think it's a good compromise between realism and more instant fun that many people expect in games (and no, I am not interested discussing realism versus fun agaim

Very fair point, it just looked from the Arma2 USMC-Faction teaser, at the point the Seahawk was starting, that the "spin-up phase" is now even shorter in Arma2 than it was in Arma1....

However, lets see how it looks in final game  tounge2.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Very fair point, it just looked from the Arma2 USMC-Faction teaser, at the point the Seahawk was starting, that the "spin-up phase" is now even shorter in Arma2 than it was in Arma1....

I just checked the video, and when the Seahawk appears the rotors are already spinning, you don't see it start up. So how can you tell?

However, lets see how it looks in final game  tounge2.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Thats a knighthawk, i've read its to replace the seaknight... wich is boring since its just a grey blackhawk.. and ingame it still sounds like the Arma blackhawk wich sounds like anything but a helicopter... but im sure this will be fixed whistle.gif .

Serclaes, so you can make a delay AFTER pressing the "Q" key, to implement a sound for longer turbine starting, BEFORE the rotors themselves starting to rotate.

i got that don't worry. My point is, as long as i can't really start up the engine, i don't see the point.

By that i mean, if i can't set the power to BAT, open the fuel valves, activate fuel boost, set the engine RPM to 10%, start eng1, set GEN1 to on, BAT off, eng2 rpm to 10%, start eng2, gear in, set both eng rpm to 100%, turn GEN2 on, set my pos lights to beacon, landing lights on and all the other stuff, i do not need to sit idly by while the engines are starting.

I probably forgot a lot there since it has been a while since i turned on a UH-1N in a simulated environment, but i guess i have the main steps and its not too different from a UH-1Y.

Bottom line: as long as it takes some time until the rotor has correct RPM, it's wonderful, but too much without user's interaction is boring.

apparently the engine simulates doppler effect, we need a police car with a siren to test that tounge2.gif

apparently the engine simulates doppler effect, we need a police car with a siren to test that tounge2.gif

Or an 18 wheeler with it's horn, or a tornado siren. I love those two sounds. tounge2.gif

Question: Are those primarily coming out in stereo or was the source of the audio taken with the chopper infront of it? I'm like walking around my living room and I'm hearing the blades but they're like 70% quieter than I would expect. The front sounds nice and loud.

edit: Probably my bad. I just switched my surround settings instead of 50% front and 50% surround to just 100% surround and it works fine now. smile_o.gif

It would be really cool to have a sound engine that could handle echo/reverberation according to the terrain. Just like in that Codemasters CGI movie.

So if you fire a rifle in a valley/near mountains, the sound would leave your rifle, bounce back on the terrain, and reach you again. Then cycle back again, depending on terrain.

Would raise immersion a lot I think.

i suppose the game could at least add some echo to sounds depending on a few rough parameters (e.g. if there are any steep obstacles in view, how far away they are and maybe their direction out of, say, four possibilities).

It would be really cool to have a sound engine that could handle echo/reverberation according to the terrain. Just like in that Codemasters CGI movie.

So if you fire a rifle in a valley/near mountains, the sound would leave your rifle, bounce back on the terrain, and reach you again. Then cycle back again, depending on terrain.

Would raise immersion a lot I think.

Quote[/b] ]i suppose the game could at least add some echo to sounds depending on a few rough parameters (e.g. if there are any steep obstacles in view, how far away they are and maybe their direction out of, say, four possibilities).

Indeed!

At least in Wooden Areas there is a whole lot of echo when firing a gun there..... you can hear it over miles in woods...

For such a Area that Chernaurs is, such thing sould be really there, or at least simple add some echo (more than in arma1 lol) to all weapins/effects.

Sorry, It was my rubbish google chrome browser not knowing what to do with the ftp:// link that was posted. Anyway awsome new sounds ;)

No, I though the links in the first post were broken but it was by google chrome browser that caught me out ;(

Using IE the links worked. But as you can see I found the sounds anyway on armaholic.net. So sorry for my mistake mate.

Since Placebo is gone...

HAILO, please do not double post. Instead, edit your post. And use Firefox.:firefoxlover:

Edited by Stimpak_Addict
Added :firefoxlover: icon.