Sign in to follow this  
fasad

OFP Hard freezing on a modern PC

G'day all,

I've got a bad cold, so I'm shivering at home for the week. Yesterday I installed OFP:R on my new PC, but I seems to be rather unstable. After several minutes of gameplay, it hard freezes my system (ie, not a BSOD - I get no video or audio output, no response to any input other than reset/power button). The freeze occurs in windowed mode as well as fullscreen, and I have a suspicion that it occurs most frequently (possibly exclusively) when in 3rd person view (it happens very frequently during the post-death cutscene). I have eliminated the possibility of conflict with my firewall or any anti-virus software.

Has anyone encountered this problem before?

System:

Windows XP SP3

Intel E8400

4gb RAM

8800 GT 512mb

SB X-Fi fatality

Cheers,

fasad

I will give some shots in the dark.

Disable the soundcard and try again.

Then if that doesn't help, I'd try next to reduce the amount of RAM and try again.

The soundcard thing is fast to try, I think.

Thanks for the reply.

It seems the problem may be unrelated to OFP, I had the same thing happen in ArmA today! I tried memTest, and it found some errors (having previously passed with none at same settings). I've removed half of the RAM, updated mobo/vid BIOSs and am testing to see if it still happens...

Thanks for the reply.

It seems the problem may be unrelated to OFP, I had the same thing happen in ArmA today! I tried memTest, and it found some errors (having previously passed with none at same settings). I've removed half of the RAM, updated mobo/vid BIOSs and am testing to see if it still happens...

If it happens on OFP/ArmA only, the problem is in your video card's drivers, and cannot be fixed unless nVidia by some miracle would fix it. But it is very doubtful, as it's been around for years and nothing has been done.

Okay, I've narrowed this problem down to the sound card and a possible conflict with the video card. Removal of the X-Fi card seems to be the only stable solution I've found so far.

Another thing, turn on "tripple buffering" in your Geforce driver options.

X-Fi's are notorious for their driver problems, so that could have been what was causing it... What sort of PSU have you got in that thing?