Sign in to follow this  
rocket

Consistency with Textures

I was thinking it might be a good idea to adopt a consistent approach to texturing and modelling with a good directory structure, with the aim of having our models with a consistent artistic feel across them all. If we discuss and agree on our pipeline process this can be easily achieved.

I'm not sure what the current SVN structure is, but here is my suggestion:

1. Setup a directory in SVN for each object, and for each stage of the process, ie:

\Objects\

\objects\CampEast\

model.cfg

config.cpp (object config file, can be copied and pasted to master when complete)

\Objects\CampEast\Source\

..CampEast.max

..CampEast_CA.psd

\Objects\CampEast\Model\ (or whatever our agreed model folder will be)

..CampEast.p3d

\Objects\CampEast\Texture\

..CampEast.CA.tga

1. Unwrap object UV's manually to maintain the highest standard in texture mapping.

2. Do an initial ambient occlusion render to texture in 3DS Max at 800 samples for 2048^2 and 400 samples for 1024^2. Distance of ray should be between 0 and 5m as appropriate to maintain consistent effect.

3. Use the ambient occlusion as a multiply or overlay layer in PSD. Complete texturing beyond this in Adobe PSD files, that should be committed to SVN

4. Adopt some common colors to use (for example, standard green colors and etc).

5. Agree on poly/texture targets for object types and have an Art Lead/Producer who is a nazi about checking these.

o/

I agree, lets put some camo colors together or all the models will look different from eachother and that won't create a good feeling when playing.

//edit: one problem tho, i do not own 3dsmax nor Photoshop. I have Blender and Paint Shop Pro Photo XI instead. But i guess their functions will be similar.

We should be okay. In the "real world" I'm actually a Producer myself, and I've been specializing in managing artists ... hence my learning all this art stuff! I'm happy to help review the art assets and provide ambient bakes of everything.

Regarding source files, I don't think it matters too much if they're PSD's or not, so long as we ensure the source files are always kept in the same place.

We did get a PM yesterday with all the paths, but you weren't on the cc list. Guess W0lle will catch up ASAP smile_o.gif

We did get a PM yesterday with all the paths, but you weren't on the cc list.

Awesome!

Well W0lle has given me plenty to get started with, so I'll get going on that. Basic stuff really, but glad to be able to help. Look forward to getting directory stuff in due course.

Quote[/b] ]This message was sent to: icemotoboy, fromz, NZXSHADOWS, Serclaes, DasPenguin, itim_tuko, BraTTy, GodHammer, Burt, plaintiff1

icemotoboy you should this PM too. If not then drop me a message and I send again.

Good idea with the textures. One of the other "core" members might comment on this as I'm a total n00b with this stuff.  tounge2.gif

It's probably too late already to reorganize this, but can be done surely when work on CWR 2.0 starts.