Sign in to follow this  
miles teg

The Lost Brothers -Isaac and Ishmael Mod

Miles, I know you guys have been saying that your focus with these models is not on providing high-res, high-poly models. I just want to say that they're getting better each time. By putting these restrictions on yourselves, I think it's making you all better modellers/texturers. Great work, keep it up! smile_o.gif

Nah, not really, just better at modifying other people's hard work.  All credit goes to Vilas, Topaz, and all who helped them on our infantry models.  However, they are used as templates with the textures heavily modified. The Lizard skin camo for example is taken from a swatch from the actual uniform that they wore which I then applied in PhotoShop over the template of Vilas/Topaz's olive-green uniform texture which I had made black & white.  Because they're two different layers, I then was able to blend the two together (and increase contrast on the black & white layer) so that you have the great cammo on the model, while still seeing all the shadows, pockets, ect... from the original texture.  Having the rvmat files also of coarse makes them look even better.  

Likewise some of the helmets you see are heavily modified M1 steel pots made by Vilas/Topas (the one on the guy with the goggles is the M1 steelpot which was also used by the IDF).  I basically turned it into the Israeli made copies of British paratrooper helmets and I added the distinctive black helmet bands found on most Israeli helmets since the 1960's.  

Any of our guys with the red boots indicates that they are paratroopers or Sayeret (recon) units that are part of IDF paratrooper brigades.

The rest of the equipment and weapons is likewise the work of Vilas/Topas with only textures on the equipment modified so that they are mostly tan as was most of the actual historic equipment used by the IDF.  I'm especially happy with the gorgeous IMI FN-FAL rifle that Vilas made for us.  It, I believe, is some of his best work.

So basically our addons that look beautiful are the result of the ArmA addon making community working together to make great addons.  

By the way, here's a good pic of the real life IDF paratroopers from the 6 Day war that I tried to get the guys above (the ones in Lizard skin cammo) to look like:

zz30125mq4.jpg

zz34758yk0.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

is there a list of classnames that can be downloaded? id love to use the f-16I SEAD for Mando missle

btw amazing job

is there a list of classnames that can be downloaded? id love to use the f-16I SEAD for Mando missle

btw amazing job

I don't think there's one. That's my only real gripe. The easiest way to do it is open up the editor and place the content you want class names for. Save the mission then tab+Alt to the desktop and open the mission folder, then open the mission.sqm file. Then look for vehicle="classname"("classname" being the class name you are looking for.)

I did it for you. Here it is:

"LoBo_f16I_4" -F16I SEAD

EDIT:

My apologies. There is a classname .pdf that Betsalel compiled a while back. Thanks bud, very much appreciated. You're a better man then I, I didn't have the patience to finish mine.

Miles, you should put this link in the first post.

Betsalel Class Name .pdf:

www.tzahalsquad.com/LOBO_Class_Guide.rar

And here's a clickable link.( Not sure why just posting a link wont work anymore.)

Betsalel's IDF list

Hehehe, I had forgotten all about it. Glad to see people are finding use for it. biggrin_o.gif

Front page updated. I aplogize for not doing that earlier. However hopefully soon I'll have some new stuff ready so that pdf will need to be edited a bit for all the historical units. I don't have a .pdf editor otherwise I'd do it myself. But anyhoo...I guess I'll worry about that once I get the new stuff released.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I may be wrong, because it's difficult to judge from the angle

in your picture, but I think you might need to revise the

shape of your British para helmets a bit. They appear to flare

out a bit too much at the bottom (I've found that it is a

difficult shape to capture, though).

Most photos of IDF paras wearing the British-style helmets

from 1967 seem to just have hessian and scrim on them.

idfpara.jpg

How common was the black rubber at that time?  I'm sure

this is the source of the fashion (which is really all that it is)

adopted by British paratroopers (from the 1970s until now)

of wearing a black rubber band (originally the top of an NBC

boot) around the helmet rim.

Anyway, when I think of Israeli troops these lizard clad men

from the six day war is what immediately comes to mind. I'm

very glad you did these.

Any progress on the heavy-barrelled FAL? My offer to model

the necessary extra bits for you is still open if required.

Yeah the helmet model isn't perfect but is the best I could do...I messed around with that helmet for a good hour or more. That shape really is a pain in the ass to duplicate, but it does have the net cover it as is modified from Vilas's M1 steelpot which is also on the lizard skin picture above. The squad leader with the goggles on his helmet has an M1 steelpot as does the FNMAG gunner behind him. The rest have the British style helmet. During this period the rubber band on the helmets fashion was just getting started. In the second real life pic I posted you see these guys wearing it on their M1's. But they were also commonly worn on the British style helmets and sometimes with the center strip running along the top of the helmet as you see on the some of the helmets I made.

At any rate, I might try one more time to modify the helmet a little more but it really is quite difficult. I really wish I could find someone who could model and texture a proper british style IDF helmet from scratch.

I never heard back from Vilas about having the heavy barrelled support version of the FNFAL made or if he could give us the MLOD's to modify. So he's really the guy you'd have to talk to. But yeah it would be nice to have.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

New video of our historic Egyptian and Israeli units.  Actually the video is part of a movie cutscene on a 1960's era mission I'm making so I figured that I'd make it into a little video.

The movie is 37 megs in size.

http://www.idfsquad.com/downloads/milesteg/ArmAHistoricDemo.wmv

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Is that a single reed Mijwiz playing?

Also, you ought to update your opxplants, the black grain on the wheat is fixed.

Nice vid anyways.  smile_o.gif

New video of our historic Egyptian and Israeli units.  Actually the video is part of a movie cutscene on a 1960's era mission I'm making so I figured that I'd make it into a little video.

The movie is 37 megs in size.

http://www.idfsquad.com/downloads/milesteg/ArmAHistoricDemo.wmv

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Is that a single reed Mijwiz playing?

Also, you ought to update your opxplants, the black grain on the wheat is fixed.

Nice vid anyways.  smile_o.gif

I have no idea what the instrument is on that song.  It could be one of many Middle Eastern reed mouthpiece flutes (what most Americans just call "snake charmers" when they hear them).  lol   I've always wanted to buy one of those as I have a home studio and play a wide range of ethnic music.  I need to record my own Middle Eastern style soundtrack music for the mod as I play the Turkish baglama saz , the Indian sitar, and a wide range of ethnic flutes and drums.  I've recorded a few nice songs, but they weren't really for the mod and wouldn't quite fit the movie cutscenes that I had in mind.

Sadly, I've just not had the time to sit down and compose and record some serious music (it can take me days to complete just one song).

I didn't know that you had updated the vegetation on your Avgani map.  My apologies for forgetting to mention you and your map on the closing credits of the video.  Your map truly is amazing and is by far my favorite map.  I can't believe that you don't play ArmA much.  Your map is super fun especially when you combine the FFN mod with it where the AI really make full usage of your terrain.  

If you ever feel up to the challenge I'm looking for someone to help my mod port over our Sinai and Lebanon maps into ArmA and updating them with your awesome buildings and vegetation (alongside BIS buildings as well).  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

edit- arrg...stupid forum bug...sorry previous post didn't show up...

For modern times, are you planning to do Katyusha and Qassam for opfor side?

We don't have our big BM-21 (I think its called) converted yet from OFP, however someone did make for us a nice little pickup mounted multiple rocket launcher that will go to our Hezbollah guys. However sadly it only does direct fire. We would need a good scripter to make it into a true artillery system. What I'd like to do is make it like how our BM-21 worked in OFP. It did require line of site, however it still fired upwards and the rockets fell in an arc like true artillery. I'm not sure if ArmA's bullet/shell system works in the same way as it did in OFP so I don't know if it will work. But I'll try.

That along with a long detection range of enemy vehicles will make it behave almost like a real artillery system as long as I put it up on a hill with a good view. I need to do the same for our artillery guns as well rather then just having them mimick the BIS artillery which just fire like tank guns even at long range.

Oh I noticed that you are part of the OFrP team. I have a question for your team but I will PM it.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I have no idea what the instrument is on that song.  It could be one of many Middle Eastern reed mouthpiece flutes (what most Americans just call "snake charmers" when they hear them).  lol I've always wanted to buy one of those as I have a home studio and play a wide range of ethnic music.  I need to record my own Middle Eastern style soundtrack music for the mod as I play the Turkish baglama saz , the Indian sitar, and a wide range of ethnic flutes and drums.  I've recorded a few nice songs, but they weren't really for the mod and wouldn't quite fit the movie cutscenes that I had in mind.

Nice smile_o.gif I myself am an amateur Baglama and Oud player, unfortunately my instruments are of rather poor quality and more befitting for decoration than playing.

Sadly, I've just not had the time to sit down and compose and record some serious music (it can take me days to complete just one song).

Ah yes, the joys and pains of composition. Few years ago I had an obsession with the anatomy of fugal compositions. Nearly drove me nuts trying to figure out what was going on in the heads of geniuses such as Bach. Now, for the most part I play improvisations over themes, purely therapeutic.

I didn't know that you had updated the vegetation on your Avgani map.  My apologies for forgetting to mention you and your map on the closing credits of the video.  Your map truly is amazing and is by far my favorite map.  I can't believe that you don't play ArmA much.  Your map is super fun especially when you combine the FFN mod with it where the AI really make full usage of your terrain.

Ah well I don't care much about being credited in things such as movies and screenshots, seems kinda redundant.

If you ever feel up to the challenge I'm looking for someone to help my mod port over our Sinai and Lebanon maps into ArmA and updating them with your awesome buildings and vegetation (alongside BIS buildings as well).  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Yeah, well if I had a time expansion machine I'd map out the whole high-res coverage of Google Earth lol, but with the current projects I'm working on I'll consider myself lucky to complete it all prior to ArmA2. Perhaps sometime in the future.

I have a home studio and play a wide range of ethnic music.  

I bought myself an electronic keyboard. I can play simple

things but the most melodious thing I can produce is when

the power unit accidentally  knocks against my central

heating radiator.   sad_o.gif   I really envy you guys with musical

talent!

Apropos "Isaac and Ishmael":

I have a para regiment steel helmet shell I could give you. I

haven't unwrapped or textured it yet, but the shape is quite

good. It might serve as a good base for making an accurate

model on. Let me know by PM if you want this.

I also have an authentic German telescopic sight picture for

your Mauser sniper rifle. I recall that the "vilas" one is not

very good (unless he's revised it in the  intervening time).

Also, if you can convince "vilas" to give you the MLOD for his

FAL, then I'd be pleased to make the extra bits for the HBAR

variant for it. Your Israelis just aren't complete without it.

Hehehe...keep plugging away at that keyboard....although I have to admit...that once you play a $2k-$4k synth its hard to back to the low end stuff...but on the cheap, I use a Midiman Midi controller (plugs into my computer with USB) and Reason 3.0 which kicks ass with its software synths and instruments.

I would VERY much like an accurate British helmet model. However we have no dedicated texture artists....so if you could texture it, then we would definitely use it!!!

As for the rifles I can see if I can get Vilas to let us develop some of those addons. I'm fairly certain that he would be happy to have someone help him with stuff like the Mauser rifles cuz the poor guy is stretched thin and overworked.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

btw amazing job

I don't think there's one. That's my only real gripe. The easiest way to do it is open up the editor and place the content you want class names for. Save the mission then tab+Alt to the desktop and open the mission folder, then open the mission.sqm file. Then look for vehicle="classname"("classname" being the class name you are looking for.)

I did it for you. Here it is:

"LoBo_f16I_4" -F16I SEAD

EDIT:

My apologies. There is a classname .pdf that Betsalel compiled a while back. Thanks bud, very much appreciated. You're a better man then I, I didn't have the patience to finish mine.

Miles, you should put this link in the first post.

Betsalel Class Name .pdf:

www.tzahalsquad.com/LOBO_Class_Guide.rar

And here's a clickable link.( Not sure why just posting a link wont work anymore.)

Betsalel's IDF list

ok, now i need 1 more favor, whistle.gif how do i find out the classnames for the bombs dropped by the f16? specifically i want to use the cluster munitions for mando bombs, i find that four planes dropping hundreds of bomblets is highly amusing against a convoy of urals rofl.gif

Should be:  LoBo_mk20Bomb    or     LoBo_mk20Deployed

The deployed version I guess the opened model after the bomblets are released.

The bomblet class name is:

LoBoMk20Bomblet

For more class names download Kegety's addon editing tool kit and the BIS tools. The DePBO the LoBo_airammo.pbo and de-binarize the config.bin file with one of the tools in Kegetys's tool kit (although it doesn't de-binarize p3d stuff).

I hope that helps.

If there are just one or two other items, just PM me and I can send you the class name. But there are a ton of weapons and in the long run if you like messing with configs and stuff, its best to just download all the tools to edit addons.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I have the "lost face" effect with the "YAMAM Police Sniper" unit.

When this unit enters game, also all other units will have trouble with face.

hope this helps squish the bug.

QuietMan

Thanks Quiet Man, I'll look into that bug. I didn't have it, but now that you mention it being caused by the police sniper, I'll look at it more carefully to see what's wrong with that paricular model. Probably something simple.

Thanks,

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Merry Christmas!!!  Sorry for you guys who Christmas is already over for but it's only halfway through here where I am in the states.  smile_o.gif

Anyhoo....  

I just wanted to release something small since our main Historic pack is very close to being ready but is missing a few critical things that we're waiting on.  

This little pack that I'm releasing now is a couple of addons put together in the past week.

It is the IDF Mistaravim undercover units and Fatah militia.

The Mistravim requires the Fatah addon to work and both require LoBo Addon Pack #3.

Also included is the latest IMI weapons pack by Vilas which is also required for the Mistaravim units.

Oh I should also note that the FATAH militia are found on the Indpendent side just in case people wanted to make Fatah vs. Hamas missions.

Download link below:

http://www.idfsquad.com/downloa....Pack.7z

IDF Mistaravim Pics:

LoBo_Mistaravim1.jpg

LoBo_Mistaravim2.jpg

LoBo_Mistaravim3.jpg

Fatah Pics

LoBo_Fatah.jpg

LoBo_Fatah3.jpg

LoBo_Fatah4.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

hey miles why ur mod don't works when u r playing whit ace-mod?  huh.gif i mean.. when i play whit ace and lobomod the game miss a lot of idf units....