Sign in to follow this  
thrush213

key to arma 2's success

i don't know about you guys, but arma ran absolutely terrible when it first came out, the patches helped a lot, but in its final 1.14 state, the game is still very laggy especialy in forest environment, etc.

the huge 100 man battles of ofp are nearly impossible due to the performance hitch. arma failed miserably in the optimization department and i wish the company can learn from its mistakes.

and just to prove i'm not a noob, i have 10 years experience in games, computers. my computer specs:

amd athlon x2 5600+

2gb ram

nvidia 8800gt

dx9c

all drivers up to date, etc.

the game simply runs poorly, i hope the same thing doesn't happen to arma2

Hmm...I have no idea what happening to you but I run ArmA with 30-40 FPS with everything on very high except Shadows and Textures.

And I have :-

Quad core Q6600

Nvidia 8800 GTS 640mb

4 GB RAM

Vista Business

i'm just saying, the specs and the real hardware required to run it don't seem to match up. i remember the specs in arma were something like 2.4 ghz right?

and i also mean that if the game is going to require hardware that is not even developed when the game comes out(just hyperbole), then maybe there should be more optimization work on it.

cause dual core 5600+ should run the game with flying colors. and yes i tried setting cpu affinity, but nothing works.

You can rarely use specs as a way to measure your ingame performance, its a broken system and doesn't work like that. Get the best hardware you can afford and you will be ok.

I do not think that Arma is poorly optimized when you think about all the things going on around you, and the flexibility of it.

the huge 100 man battles of ofp are nearly impossible due to the performance hitch.  arma failed miserably in the optimization department and i wish the company can learn from its mistakes.

Default ArmA gives me almost no difference in performance when i place 1 or 100 people on the map, the only thing that really killed my FPS are the bushes but BI already addressed this.

one problem i had with arma was that the lower settings didn't actually help performance and in some cases made it worse, also post processing was absolutely horrible on anything other than v high.

If you check the dev blog you can read they have been optimizing the vegetation which caused many framedrops in ArmA.