Sign in to follow this  
ricnunes

Question about aircraft/vehicle targetting system.

Imo think Arma 2 needs to be balance between arcade fun and uber realism, like not everyone wants 100% realism, just 60 % is good enough for some of us, smile_o.gif

I like the damage levels of weapons and stuff, its just a little bit of flashy gimmicks and gear missing like anti air missile alert systems with sound fx and stuff missing and generals improvements in the game engine.

Imo the Tab key lock on missile feature is one of my favourite things in Arma! I think its nice when playing mp and people are lagging so its hard to right click and then you tab and fire, but when playing the larger coop or pvp missions like warefare and you have multiple targets in a area it can get tricky and slow to find the right target when there are a area with 4-8 tanks, cars , choppers to tab between. :P

One of the things I really dont like that changed from OFP to ArmA is the autolock of such hand held weapons like the Javelin and Stinger etc, I've mentioned this on the OGN forums.

It's like waving a magic wand around and the weapon autodetects enemy and locks on which is very annoying especially when there's multiple targets in one area.

I modded my own Javelin with a seperate config and removed the autolock, along with making the rocket launch more like the real Javelin with a lot of config changes, I currently have it so you can manually lock targets just like OFP with right click but the problem with this is you cannot manually lock targets in optics view, it only works in 1st and 3rd person. Also the other problem with this is it's now possible to lock onto infantry and the AI will fire the Javelin at soliders which is realistic for some situations but firing at a single soldier out in the open is a waste.

I really hope BIS bring back manual lock for such AT and AA weapons, even for choppers you could manually lock with the mouse in OFP which comes in handy for different situations.

WarWolf @ Sep. 01 2008,12:38)]To take the idea further, probably no time to achieve this before release tho, at the end of the day the radar COULD be disable-able through the game options, leaving more hardcore guys the choice of relying on MFD radar and HUD target-info if these were ever to be added at some future time.

That would IMO, be perfect!

the guy doing the vehicle presentation vid for the ground vehicles said the optics were "as real as it gets", it would be a bit rich to say that if the finished game comes out and still has the same targeting.

the guy doing the vehicle presentation vid for the ground vehicles said the optics were "as real as it gets", it would be a bit rich to say that if the finished game comes out and still has the same targeting.

He was refering to the optics though. Not the targetting system itself.

I sincerelly hope that you're right dentist guba!

BTW, one thing that incressed a bit my hopes about this one (together with dentist guba's post) is that for example the BIS devs promissed a more realistic/natural radio and order comunication (instead of that artificial looking "All engage that target") which wasn't included in the presentation version since it's still WIP. So I hope that other features which of course includes the so wanted improved targetting optics gets implemented in the meanwhile until the final version is finally completed.

EDIT: Jakerod, may (unfortunally) have a point sad_o.gif

BI cant make advanvce  aircraft/vehicle targetting system. even navgation system like simple waypoint(VOR). they cant. dont have coding skill. BI turst ueser addon and arma 2 will same.

forgot it  advanvce  aircraft/vehicle targetting system. BI cant make it.

look at arma 2 engine. this is c++ engine limited.

leehy, thats a very bold, probably inaccurate, and severe accusation. And how is c++ a limitation? They have a lot more engine variables to work with than us scripters (Suma has already given me example of this with the NVG system, where engine uses brightness information not available to scripters).

BI can't code? Oh well huh.gif I'd rather say that BI is too small to be able to make all the changes that we want. We just have to keep bombarding them with ideas, and it will be up to them what of those to engage work on. When we supply an idea, I'm 100% sure that we haven't brainstormed it enough compared to what the engine is capable of and possible bad implications to related and nonrelated issues - BI would be.

Back on track though. I'd rather have the arcadish targetting system so that lack or other systems can be overcome. An addon can easily reduce the vertical indication to not include any vertical indication (I think some true addon is using this now), but it would be hard to make it work the other way.

BI cant make advanvce  aircraft/vehicle targetting system.  even navgation system like simple waypoint(VOR). they cant. dont have coding skill. BI turst ueser addon and arma 2 will same.

Why am I getting a very distinct feeling you're only here to be a troll? I'd suggestive you learn to be a lot more constructive and very quickly.

Just as a side note, Jane's F/A-18 which is a combat flight simulation with probably the most complex and detailed avionics, radar systems, etc... (even more than modded Falcon 4) ever made was built in C++ icon_rolleyes.gif

@Twisted

Nice addon!

Now I have a question for you because I was thinking about solving it this way.

Instead go back to OFP sys.

If they would tweak to have the autolock only active if you however over the object or very closely?

In addition a sound to confirm the look instead of a cursor?