Sign in to follow this  
ricoadf

Things ArmA II needs

I've been watching the news on ArmA II, and to be frank I'm not seeing anything that compells me to get it confused_o.gif

Yes its got civies, yes it looks nice, and yes its got some nice command abilities. However, where is shooting from vehicles, fastroping, slinging loads and towing trailers crazy_o.gif

I dont get why the features that OFP community has been yelling for years hasn't been included/shown off, especially since we know for a fact that the engine can do them icon_rolleyes.gif

So in my opinion, unless these features are included I see no reason to even look at ArmA II, I was wondering how many other people thing that atleast those 4 things are a priority?

Thankyou,

Rico

P.S. Don't get me wrong I do like what I see, but it's still missing things that I deem essential thumbs-up.gif

You picked a pretty odd set of features there. Shooting from vehicles - yeah, that would be great. Fastroping, sling loading, and towed trailers, though? Those are really "must-have" features for you? I can think of dozens of things that would be more beneficial to have..

from vehicles - yeah, that would be in.

Fixed. I remember reading about it, moving in vehicles wouldn't be included but we would get the possibily to use our own weapons while we were in a cargo seat.

EDIT: But i agree with the guy above me with the unspellable name, they aren't really features that would really improve the gameplay. (Except for the shooting out of vehicles)

I don't care for any of those, except shooting from Vehicles. I can also think of tons more things to add besides all of that.

I was refering to new features, not AI improvements etc which is upgrading whats there, thats not to say that they arn't needed wink_o.gif

What other new features do you think it actually needs? I was using them as examples, feel free to include others you can think of.

And on that note, countermeasures for aircraft, tanks etc built into the game so that we dont need custom scripts that lag it to hell sad_o.gif

I was refering to new features, not AI improvements etc which is upgrading whats there, thats not to say that they arn't needed  wink_o.gif

What other new features do you think it actually needs? I was using them as examples, feel free to include others you can think of.

And on that note, countermeasures for aircraft, tanks etc built into the game so that we dont need custom scripts that lag it to hell  sad_o.gif

Hm... lets see. My top one would definitly be improving AI which should count because it is adding something (micro AI). My second one would be commanding more men which we just got. My third one would probably be something about a more realistic destruction system which we got for buildings. So as you can see im pretty content with what we're getting.

Fast-roping is really nothing more than eye candy to me and I can only think of two maybe three operations that I know of where it was used. Slinging loads would be nice but really isn't something I absolutely need. Same goes for towing trailers.

I would also like to add a good story-driven campaign which I hope we're getting.

EDIT: Im going to add something else here because I just thought of it. I kind of want a system or a mission that comes with the game that generates random missions that are fairly dynamic so I can just keep playing the mission over and over and getting new objectives each time. Im kind of sick of making my own missions and despite my best efforts of randomizing thigns I always know where the enemy is going to be at.

And on that note, countermeasures for aircraft, tanks etc built into the game so that we dont need custom scripts that lag it to hell  sad_o.gif

Countermeasures for aircraft would definitely be a good game-play addition.

Fastroping, slinging loads and towing trailers are not important IMO. They would be nice additions but they might distract the developers from more important stuff.

Also the point is that we arn't seeing anything special in the video's, other then graphics. Show us the 'realism' that is being preached, if it cant even allow firing out of vehicles (and Battlefield as well as other programs have done it for years, including some of BIS's) then all I see is a graphical upgrade with AI that might be abit better confused_o.gif . I want to get ArmA II, but I want to have something to be worth getting also huh.gif

So please BIS, bring in the features that we know you can do and you will have a winner notworthy.gif

Ah well, just my 2c smile_o.gif

@ Jakerod : I know what you mean... when I create my missions, I always lack a sense of surprise/fear because I know exactly where the guys are, where they are going and what triggers what...

Something like enhanced-Kronzky patrol script generating nice random missions would be cool...

in my eyes:

-much better AI implementation (the ai just screws around)

-MUCH BETTER CQB characteristics (walking inside houses is basically impossible with an aimed weapon)

-controls are very.... inaccurate and i just mean the movement

-gunturrets on planes ( i still dont get why this is such a big problem if the guys are able to add more turrets to choppers or other vehicles.. and the community is after this for ages.... FFS)

-use newer graphic technologies BETTER, atm its just laughable and just poorly implemented...

- give full SDK support... eg animation /wheigting/rigging plugins and such

- oxygen needs to be more friendly with formats

honestly if BIS screws that on hte upcoming release i really dont see how this is supposed to work in the future... even game-nazi´s like EA have better support

that stuff already drove me mad in arma...

mad_o.gif

[...]

-use newer graphic technologies BETTER, atm its just laughable and just poorly implemented...

According to the size of the environment, the effects are a little overdone here and there but what actually is laughable? Having lens-flares where no lenses are used? Bloom that illuminates a tree's trunk? Desaturation of colors, where human eye's don't know such effects without changing lighting conditions? What is state-of-the-art? What i know so far is, that BIS actually implements up-to-date shading effects, but they economize them overall, they reduce postprocessing to a believable form and not a razzle-dazzle one.

honestly if BIS screws that on hte upcoming release i really dont see how this is supposed to work in the future... even game-nazi´s like EA have better support

[...]

Okay, the release of ArmA was screwed up, nothing to discuss about, but to say EA's support is better is nonsense. I remember the good old days of OFP, back in 2005. The game (RES) was almost three years old, when cheating became rampant. ID-Fakers where all around compromising the good names of well known community members. Then we asked BIS via PM to save us from that idiots and what did they do? They built 1.96c in their sparetime, although there were no more patching plans for OFP. If that's not support, what is then? Also they don't stop to enhance their games. They give new content for free, fix the most annoying bugs (i don't mean every personal feeling about what should get fixed) since 2001! Yes there is not everything perfect with us and BIS, but blaming BIS for having a worser support than EA is a positive nuisance in my opinion.

I second the rest you've said.

@ Jakerod : I know what you mean... when I create my missions, I always lack a sense of surprise/fear because I know exactly where the guys are, where they are going and what triggers what...

Something like enhanced-Kronzky patrol script generating nice random missions would be cool...

Slightly off-topic, but if you lack surprise and tension in your self-made missions I suggest using the excellent Dynamic AI Creator. I've been playing the same mission for two months now and it never gets boring.

oh yer, and another thing that bugs me in OFP/ArmA, when u reload you cant move, in real life if your reloading a rifle/pistol you can still move, not run a marathon but get in cover.

oh yer, and another thing that bugs me in OFP/ArmA, when u reload you cant move, in real life if your reloading a rifle/pistol you can still move, not run a marathon but get in cover.

Already confirmed as in in one of the video's.

things that should have hardcored into the engine:

Better command structure and squad control: NO! Dont just give us CEX! FIX THE CURRENT MENU! AND DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT CUTTING IT DOWN! crazy_o.gif

Better physics: Need i say anymore? crazy_o.gif

Better animation/CQB characteristics: automatic lower your gun when close to high objects like walls, vehicals, etc, anythings that stop you from turning your body, have the animation work for both CQC and mid-long range engagement, slower reload while moving

Binoculars that make sense: I am not a goddamn cripple. I can

walk when i am holding a gun, surely i can also when i am holding binocular

anything that ACE can do

any AI script in FNN that are useful

I think arma needs multyplayer mission editor. People can

connect and create their own mission :] that would cool be cool yay.gif

Better command structure and squad control: NO! Dont just give us CEX! FIX THE CURRENT MENU! AND DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT CUTTING IT DOWN! crazy_o.gif

Better animation/CQB characteristics: automatic lower your gun when close to high objects like walls, vehicals, etc, anythings that stop you from turning your body, have the animation work for both CQC and mid-long range engagement, slower reload while moving

anything that ACE can do

Couldn't agree more, and glad that they finally fixed the dumbest thing that has gotten all of us killed more times then I can imagine rofl.gif

anything that ACE can do

Couldn't agree more, and glad that they finally fixed the dumbest thing that has gotten all of us killed more times then I can imagine  rofl.gif

i think we might have to get killed by those dumbass things for a while longer untill bi say "yes! i have fix it" confused_o.gif

With binoc-walk fix there must be a "stumble feature" implemented too!! tounge2.gif Looks weird if you see someone looking through binocs and walking (running) magic upon stones and trunks. biggrin_o.gif

Noticed in one of the vids, a tank was hit, and did the old everyone stick jumps out when its knackered, then model turned black, then exploded.

Can we please at least have the explosion before the model change.

Also isnt it about time we had vehicle exit anims?

Maybe in tanks everyone wouldnt get out after explosion, because they didnt have time.

Also hope that Dedicated servers use more than one core. I have 3 doing nowt on my lan server when i run a coop misssion.

After seeing the above post, reminded me how annoying binocs were. Accidently pressing b, wait 10 secs to get your gun back. (Feels like 10 when in a firefight.)

Swapping to pistol should be much faster. In real life you would drop your rifle (think the m4s are clipped onto the grunts anyway) and go straight for your pistol.

Finally what about a grot feature. the old silent kill would be very handy in stealth missions. Wonder if you can drag dead bodies as well as injured.

Cheers

GC

May I remind everyone, that your opinion is your opinion and does not in any way reflect a conglomerate persay.

We have had many many suggestions and "I want this threads", all with great lists of features fixes and must have's.

Some of you are getting quite hot under the collar on a subject that is very subjective. You may feel very strongly about said subject, but it is not worth getting vexed about.

One persons golden idea may well be another persons bad idea.

May I remind everyone, that your opinion is your opinion and does not in any way reflect a conglomerate persay.

We have had many many suggestions and "I want this threads", all with great lists of features fixes and must have's.

Some of you are getting quite hot under the collar on a subject that is very subjective. You may feel very strongly about said subject, but it is not worth getting vexed about.

I think we all agree on this:

ARMA 2 needs seriously re-work the way the FP-View looks and feels. BIS could easily adopt it for CQC situations and improve the immersion. (the gun looks like it's coming from the right side of the stomach!wink_o.gif holy s**t.

(as said lastly, I always found third-person view far immersive than FP-View)  confused_o.gif

Agreed, but one thing that seems universaly agreed is that ArmA II will need alot of work before it can claim to be a 'realistic' game confused_o.gif

Agreed, but one thing that seems universaly agreed is that ArmA II will need alot of work before it can claim to be a 'realistic' game confused_o.gif

You missed that part when quoting.

right..... people are so blind that they couldn't see it themselves icon_rolleyes.gif